Why so much Cali hate? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why so much Cali hate?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by cosmicdingo, Dec 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I love what Ferrari is doing lately, just not the Califronia. The fake exhaust tips are just the icing on the cake of an ugly car produced for a mass market, non-enthusiast audience.

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Maybe Roy Cats...or Jim....or.... you ? :D

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #28 Spasso, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    It's interesting how we see things so differently. I guess we are from different eras.

You are comparing a 2+2 GT with a street legal ((nose heavy) race car

To me the 365C/4 has the curvy belt line of a 308 with a classic long thin sloping nose, small slot like grill (though the bumper could have been done without.) It has the classic old school six tail light layout used on the 365BB. The roof line and window cut are NOT copies of the GM Monza produced 5 years later but ruined it for the C4 because of it. The lowered rear wheel openings are cause for dislike with many but that is part of the Tourer style. It's a 2+2 and I can't think of a better way to proportion it than the way it is unless you went the route of the 400i
    It's a classic open road GT I would love to have, it reeks Ferrari.

The Daytona in comparison has a straighter belt line and door crease that resembles all too much that of a Corvette C4, flat and slab-sided and BORING. There is no character to the belt line or window line, with the exception of the quarter window line curving up at the rear, (just like a Datsun 240Z of the same era) The headlights under glass Euro style makes the car, the rear is compact and muscular looking but as a whole the car doesn't have the sensuous of other designs, obviously it wasn't meant to hence my lack of attraction to it over others.
    The Daytona was all business. The C/4 was for vacation. Ask anyone who has driven one for long distances, they'll take the C4 for the long trip.

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I will agree that all of the cars mentioned above CAN be lumped together as bulky, computerized and possibly disposable but the 599 will always be apart and above them as being the best looking.

5. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    #30 FandLcars, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, many do see things differently. I love the Daytona. The bottom sill is fairly flat, but there's hardly a flat line on the side of the Daytona.

Now the new Challenger..... THAT's slab-sided, and huge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    +1 Well Said, totally agree, just wish the 355 had better build quality and less technical problems.

S

7. 512bbnevada

512bbnevada Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    Ferrari used to be a mans car, you saw a Ferrari more often than not the owner knew about F history and had skills to drive, now they have made a poseur car suited towards women or hairdressers that are going to change the perception of the Ferrari owner to a cushy poseur type, and yes can't us men have anything to ourselves anymore??!!

The occasional woman owner that had a Ferrari in the past was an enthusiest not the new type Desparate Housewife urban cruiser parked at the salon all day, sheesh, Luca you P wipped pansy!!!!

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have to agree that is one of the more flattering pictures of a Daytona I've seen

9. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    No argument here! I drive a 308, which I believe is still the longest-running and largest-volume Ferrari model yet.

Honestly, I can't see how a $200k car is going to "destroy exclusivity." Are dishwashers and supermarket clerks going to be buying them? Somehow I doubt it.

Now, the reason I wouldn't buy one is that the rear is awful. (See above pic.) Never thought I'd say it, but a Corvette with the same layout, shape, approximate size, and, I believe, horsepower, is far prettier and a better value than this Ferrari.

So it's not, as some would have it, "The end of Ferrari as we know it," nor is it a harbinger of the apocalypse or the coming of the antichrist. Ferrari has made other ugly cars before. The California will be a flash-in-the-pan, all but forgotten once Pinninfarina gets their act together again.

10. Kristian

Kristian Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2008
    Seattle area
    I wouldn't turn it away if someone gave one to me :)

11. 512bbnevada

BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    Never say never about Ferrari watering down the brand and it turning into just another car, Porsche was considered an exclusive exotic mans car up to 1998 until they sold out and mass produced the Cayenne and made the Boxster seen on every corner which most people couldn't tell it between the more exclusive 911 which of course they watered down into the 996, now Porsche is just a car like BMW, Ferrari can easily do it the same to themselves

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #37 MalibuGuy, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    +1.

14. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #39 MBFerrari, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    I must seem like Bullfighters B$tch here again, but what he says is true. The 355 was the last car to remind me of a Ferrari. I actually like the 430 and the 599, but only time will tell on those examples if they gain the following by the future generations as we have today (as buyers) to the past Ferrari models.

My daily hack is a 1997 E36 M3, and BMW has done the same as Ferrari. They have gone away from thier roots of being a sports car company to one that produces cars for the masses. Sickens me actually.

In any case we are still better off in our F-cars than those steaming around in thier Ford Mustangs. Heck, they may not even have a company to service them shortly LOL.

MB
    P.S. The back end of that F40 makes we want to rub one out

15. George308

George308 Rookie

Dec 18, 2007
    You ought to know, huh?

16. George308

George308 Rookie

Dec 18, 2007
    #41 George308, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    The California SHOULD appeal to the chatroom know-it-alls:

There's so much to be an expert about!

Duh
    Form over function, non functional hood scoop when, in fact, air induction is via twin feeds from the grill.

Big rear end (endless discussion for the chatroom A-fixated)

When I was in the new assembly hall recently (private tour) and saw a shiny new blue one being worked up for shipment to Sicily for journalists I couldn't believe the rotton paintjob (orange peel-except on front bumper where primer was working ok...something which they'll correct, obviously) and the videogame dash display (black letters on white screen) telling me CALIFORNIA!

Mall crowd:
    Wow man, is that a FERRARI! Wow!

You AMERICAN chatroom know it alls should REALLY LOVE the California! Because NEXT you will be complaining how you wont be able to get one because the American market is Ferrari's least profitable and warranty-regulated, so the company is actually ALREADY cancelling build slots for American dealers on 430's, 612's and 599's and using those build slots to make cars for developing markets that like purple and white and GREEN!!!!! Oh my GAWD!

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Today's entry to this thread......

The car is HEINOUS!

18. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt

:eek::eek:

That has to be the worst thing anyone has ever said about the Cali, EVER.

Or any car, really. Winehouse is to' up from the flo' up.

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It's so bad they should have called the The Jersey!

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #45 Spasso, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    Sorry, your propaganda won't work here. A pile of turd in the road is still a pile of turd no matter WHO and HOW IMPORTANT the person is who comes upon it.
    Don't bet your wad that all the people around here are "Chat-room, Know-it-all, Wanna-bees. You'd be surprised who hangs out here, and what makes you think we are all Americans? What a tool!

If you are so blind to think that 95% of the people on here are punks with nothing else to do you should post your number so you can "Hook-up"!

Boy, somebody's on the sauce...........................................:p

21. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    It's nothing to do with men or women's car. the bottom line is, it's just so UGLY. i wouldn't get one if i could afford one.

22. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    sure there are exceptions to most rules; but I maintain the Cali is a woman-appealing car. I think that is a large reason why they made it. They wanted to hook in the other 50% of people who could potentially become Ferrari consumers. Ferrari hopes to bank on the "oh, hubby, I want one" principle.

but I agree that even though I do like it, it isn't my first choice for Ferrari. I can come up with another choice for $200k ;)

23. 512bbnevada

BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff

huh? because the majority of Ferrari owners here think the Cali is a sell out ugly car we must be charroom know it alls and our opinions are invalid? The Cali is an embarrassment to Ferrari and doesn't deserve the badge. BTW Do you actually own a Ferrari anyone can get a tour at Maranello so what gives your opinion any credibility over the majority here?

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ferrari producing a car with "faux" exhaust tips is hard to swallow, very disappointing and embarrassing really. The shape reminds me of a honda S2000 which isnt a bad looking car but its not what I expect from ferrari. With pedestrian impact requirements defining the shape and or height of a front end on cars since Jan07 we'll never see cars like the ford GT (hence 2005/2006 only) or TR, boxer, etc.....let alone stuff from the 50's and 60's. Ferrari wants to continue to have record profits year after year rather than please me with my 80's ferrari that will never buy a new one anyway.

25. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Already been done.

http://www.koenigsegg.com/

and

http://www.paganiautomobili.it/

Jerks like you will continue to vilify these companies for putting out far better products and attempt to declassify them due to lack of racing heritage. When was the last time Ferrari fronted a factory racing program that wasn't F1? Hmm...almost half a century ago?

But Ferrari knobs will point out lack of racing heritage of those two manufacturers, all the while forgetting the fact that Ferrari died decades ago. And turn the other cheek while FIA gives Ferrari $80M in fun money for basically ****ting on everyone else in F1.

Ferrari died as a brand a long time ago. Now it's just a marketing exercise.

Cute handbags, shoes and purses. And the trendy California to go with it. All the while flitting about, light of loafer with rainbow lisps and endless glee and prance and glee and more rainbow.

Ferrari is dead. Sure, they may sell more of them, but when every gay hairdresser in Hollywood has one, what then?

Pretty tragic when a race inspired 430 nee Scuderia is no faster than an LP 560/4 with AC, carpets and...no weight loss program...gotta LOL OUT LOUD at Ferrari for that pos.

But yeah, continue poking fun at tractors and whatever. And while you are matching your purse to your earrings to your shoes to your car, don't wonder why people that know better are pointing their fingers at you and snickering under their breath.