Why so much Cali hate? | Page 32 | FerrariChat

Why so much Cali hate?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by cosmicdingo, Dec 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Exactly!! +1000

Still, there is one point over which I will wring my hands, and piss and moan. The Clutch Pedal! As far as I can tell, no one has seen any evidence of the existance of the promised 6-speed California. And the 458 apparently only comes in twin clutch form. I get bored in a car that doesn't have a clutch pedal. Fall asleep. It's dangerous. :eek:

The new luxury Lotus only comes with a true manual. Well, I guess I know what my next car will be. Damn, I'm going to miss the flat plane crank V8... :(

2. drf3576

drf3576 Karting

Dec 25, 2006
    Terre Haute, IN
    Full Name:
    Dane Frauenholz
    to answer the posts question..."why so much hate for the cali"....BECAUSE IT SUCKS!

3. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    As Howard Johnson said about Gabby Johnson's speach in Blazing Saddles, "who can argue with that"....

4. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Hmmm. Where are all the cheap used Calis that the haters were gloating over?

Well hate-heads, WHERE ARE THEY!???!! :confused:

:rolleyes:

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Just don't let them look at Scud prices... then you'll really make the CA haters upset!

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Shhh, do not wake up the haters, they are all down in the FF thread with their perfect taste and perfect prognostications. Pretty much the same people, no surprise.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Bob, Taz......I just don't know how you guys do it??? I've long since tired of the same ol BS spewed from the mouths of the self proclaimed enthusiasts and connoisseurs. Most of whom have never driven the cars they so heavily criticize.

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You can have them back, we've grown weary of them in the FF forum.

9. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #784 raptorduck, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    Ok, now I have been offended as both a Ferrari owner and an R8 owner. The R8 won the best handling car comp when it first came out (against, among others, the Porsche TT and the king of Porsche handling, the Cayman). I think it is just beautiful and I have no trouble keeping up or even loosing the billions of Porsche 4S's and TT's in this area (I suspect I will loose the battle to the new TT when they start to show up around here). The R8 also has no less storage than my 360 and is NOT a GT car like a Cali is, so to compare it to a Cali is apples to oranges. Compare the Cali to other GT cars.

But what I am actually offended about is the Beyonce/Roseanne Bar comparison. It is clear that to say an R8 looks like Roseanne Bar is an insult to the entire Audi culture and constitutes declaration of war (heck that would be the case if you compared a Prius (ugliest car on the planet) to Rosanne bar (ugliest human in history)). But to say a Cali looks like Beyonce is also insulting to the Ferrari culture. Beyonce is no Ferrari, though props for the asset comparisons.

Truth be told, compared to any car other than another Ferrari (save the new FF and a handful of others), the Cali is a gorgeous car. It is also a GT car with the skills of a true sports car (very rare and worthy of praise). Like the R8, from certain angles, the Cali is not all that pretty, but from others, it is beautiful. I see one almost every day it seems (my collegue has one) and its looks have grown on me and I think it is beautiful top up or top down and only dissapoints from a minority of angles.

The proper comparison is to say the R8 (or any great looking German car) looks like Heidi Klum or Giselle where as the Cali (or any Ferrari) is more Adriana Lima or Miranda Kerr. You got beauty in both, but one is hard edged "I'm going to break you" beauty and the other is sensuous, seductive "who needs crack" beauty, and with these particuilar women, there are certain angles that are not their best, but others that make you go whoops (I do admit I forget what Miranda Kerr's bad angle is).

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #785 tazandjan, Apr 28, 2011
    RD- You do realize you delared war on a two year old post, I assume?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #786 amenasce, Apr 28, 2011
    Some of you guys are as bad as the so-called haters. It is fine to have people loving Ferrari and not liking the Cali or the FF or the 599 or the 458 or whatever. And as i said in another thread, until these cars become common, people will be commenting on new pictures/videos and there will people loving them and people disliking them..

So what?

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    So who cares what you think? B&M all you want. Some of us do not enjoy the B&Ming and can comment on it when we like. Do not remember anybody making you an arbiter.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I just think it's funny how many said the CA would be "half it's value" in one year and it's pretty much holding it's used value very well.

But at the same time, that all mighty "race car for the streets" Scuderia has lost at least $100,000 in value.

Ooops. I guess Nostradamus wasn't always right. :)

The CA is a great car for the new idea of owning an exotic: It's not just for the weekends anymore.

14. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    If Alfa hadn't announced the 4c, I would be seriously hacked at the way Cali value is holding up. But with the 4c on the horizon, I will just keep my t for open air cruising, and get a 4c for real hard charging. Because as anyone with any sense knows: For fast driving, nothing is more important than light weight! ;)

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Can I assume you are referring to the 800 lbs more that the Cali weighs than the 360?

16. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    No, actually I am referring to the over 1000 lbs. more that any street Ferrari weighs than my (I hope!) 4c. Once you are in 360 vs. Cali territory, everybody's a chubbo, so what's the diff? How does the power to weight compare between a 360 and a Cali? Bet the Cali's faster, but I could be wrong... Certainly the 360 is a great buy right now, only there are almost none with a 6 speed. When the Calis were going to be selling for list minus $100K plus, they looked a lot more attractive, only they aren't. Selling for anything like more than peanuts under list, that is. On the other hand the Cali is a thousand time more usable of a GT, so if you want to compare them, on that basis, you shouldn't leave usability out. I love my convertible, drive around with the top down all the time, but it sure would be nice to push a button and have the roof closed with a metal door. I keep having these nightmare visions of finding my Mondy with the roof all slashed to ribbons, and my sunglasses gone. ;)

17. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Well I don't leave my sunglasses in the 360. And you can get a new cloth top for less than $120k or whatever the upcharge on what a Cali costs. And the 360 is more fun to drive.

18. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Yeah, but you forget, the Cali's ugly ass was supposed to sell for next to nothing by now! What went wrong with the crystal ball?

19. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Our new Boxster S is less than 100 lbs lighter than the 360 but has 90 less HP. The 360 rides better and is more thrilling to drive. The Pcar is fun, just not as much fun as the Fcar.

20. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    #795 randyleepublic, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
    Right. Right. We are not talking about 100 out of 3000. We are talking about 1000 out of 3000. That is a very significant difference. Heavy cars can be very thrilling, my little 'ol t is thrilling for sure. And I don't doubt for a second that your 360 is far more of a rush than the Boxster. The Ferrari V8 is intoxicating! But when I am charging over Donner pass in dicey weather, there is no substitute for lightness. With all its flaws, my 1978 Alfa Sedan is more fun than either my t or my Audi S6 in those conditions. The 4c will be the bomb! Even in the Rockies - it's got the turbo.

21. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I'm sorry but the 4C is a bit ugly. Light is OK I guess but Top Gear hints at 0-62 of 'under 5' and top spead of 155 which may be way off in the links I found ... I've already done 158 in the Cali and it was still accelerating hard. I'm afraid I don't like the looks of an R8 either, they are eye catching so you know they are special but not drop dead gorgeous like most Ferrari's ... including the Cali, large rump or not.

Rick

22. AlbertoMarchio

Jul 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alberto Marchio
    The Cali does look complete **** if I saw anyone bragging that they owned that car I'd spit on their faces.
    On the other hand, the Portofino is a banger looks like a real Ferrari and is very comfortable.

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Nice first post.

paulchua, Fireman1291, BOKE and 3 others like this.
  24. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    What the heck? Spit in my face? Lol!!!

Fireman1291 likes this.
  25. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Chizz, paulchua, Avia11 and 1 other person like this.