Why so much Cali hate? | Page 33 | FerrariChat

Why so much Cali hate?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by cosmicdingo, Dec 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I know a 'very' wealthy person with a lot of real estate that drives an entry-level Mercury and lives in a moderate non-updated home. They do spoil their kids and grandkids. OTOH Sometimes it might help, to bite your tongue and look around for a while ^^.

Avia11 and Chizz like this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I brag about my old 84 HP Mazda, is that a spit in face offense?

I know, they look so different it's like comparing a bus to an F1 car!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

crinoid and Chizz like this.
  3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I am not saying l don’t like the California line. I just like some other Fcar offerings better.

When l was in my 458 Spider a guy came up to me and asked: what do you think about me buying a California for my WIFE.

I replied: l prefer the way a rear/mid-engined car handles, but if your wife doesn’t care about that she’ll probably like the car.

From then on it was a Galifornia for me. Lol

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It’s obvious that the Cali T is a better more fluid more organic more thought out design than the Porto.

Chizz and Avia11 like this.
  5. Gooey

Gooey Karting

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gooey
    Why do you say that?
    I thought Ferrari listened to the issues on the California and produced the portofino.

6. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    I don’t get how either is a bad option - some will prefer the lines of a Cali some a Porto it’s a personal choice.
    People also buy new v used for different reasons there is no right or wrong and how people choose to spend their money is totally up to them. I am pretty sure that anyone driving either of them wakes up feeling good about the world - I know I do

Chizz likes this.
  7. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    All I know is the original Cali will age better than the current offerings. The lines flow sexier and have that Pininfarina touch. Twenty years from now they'll still look sexy.

SB27, Buckwest, dustman and 1 other person like this.
  8. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Agree with Tom, it really is bad form to brag. That being said, I'm not as nice as the rest of these Fchatters. If someone were to spit in my face for any reason, I'd remove their salivary glands and shove 'em where the sun don't shine...lol. Welcome to Fchat Alberto, maybe take a reading suggestion from Tom before posting further or go troll anywhere else.

The Portofino is to the Cali t, what the 812 is to the F12...all beautiful, extremely capable cars with the newer models representing a more aggressive look while the older models represent more of a classic design language

paulchua, Chizz and Fireman1291 like this.
  9. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    "Two years? HA!!! <burp> Hold mah beerrrr....."
    LOL.

10. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I am fighting the notion that when I look at the Porto quickly I see a Corvette. What’s wrong with me?

LamboGuyGetsRari likes this.
  11. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    So agree well stated

paulchua likes this.
  12. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    So it’s not just me!! You are my brother from another mother

Fireman1291 likes this.
  13. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Lol!!!! I wanted to say that but didn’t.

paulchua likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Also designed by Pininfarina, lot of folks feel this is a requirement for any ‘real’ Ferrari. Though, I love both, and would be proud to own either.

Unfortunately, I’m going to get spit in the face it looks like.

Fireman1291, crinoid and Chizz like this.
  15. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    LMAO... handing you my handkerchief

paulchua likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks, appreciated. It's a Ferrari handkerchief I hope?

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #817 paulchua, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    All modern Ferrari don’t require any additional je ne sais quoi to drive. Even the LaF is easier to drive than some old school Ferrari. All it takes is to look at the girls that drive them to prove my point. Kardashians, Paris Hilton, Jenners, all drove around in 458s/488s, not exactly the image of James Dean or Steve McQueen those 3. Heck, even Justin Bieber drives around in a 458, need I say anything more?

Miatas, Abarth 500s, Minis should only be the 'wifey cars' right? They are some of the best and most fun sports cars and proven on the track. Some of the best track drivers I know are women, I was honored to participate in Christina Nielsen winning in IMSA for Ferrari 2 years in a row and even got her own lego set.

I enjoy driving the Cali and Porto, both great cars, and really, saying it's a girl/wifey car says more about the person saying it then the driver, IMHO.

Techhawk, jumpinjohn and Fireman1291 like this.
  18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I really think the rear of the Portofino is spectacular. Just the T is a better design as a whole especially the front and sides. Of course I’d love a Portofino as well however choosing between the the two I would probably go with the T.

Chizz, Avia11 and paulchua like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Debating the aesthetics of cars (or lack thereof) is a fool's errand. These cars are moving sculptures and each a work of art. Who am I to denigrate a person that drops millions of dollars on a Jackson Pollock? I don't understand it, and wouldn't do it myself, but hey it's not my money, and it's not my wall. I'm just happy for them.

I always respect all viewpoints (of course expressed civilly) about what art cars look 'good' and 'bad' because at the end of the day it's all personal subjective opinion.

I do find it familiar though for folks to give regurgitated and knee-jerk xerox opinions which betrays their faux elitism more than anything else. Something tells me our friend that can't seem to control his saliva might fit that persona.

CrapsLuckyDice, Chizz and crinoid like this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Because there is no car, even the LaF that will get unanimous praise. This is the internet, you'll have no trouble finding somebody to tell you what they 'hate.' What's important is do *you* hate it? If no, that's the only answer you need.

Techhawk likes this.
  21. CrapsLuckyDice

CrapsLuckyDice Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've been looking for this thread. I myself am not sure why there is so much hate on a California. Also, I am not speaking about Ferrari-owners or Ferrari-enthusiasts disliking a California, but rather everyday people who don't own one. I feel there is an unfortunate perception out there that was created, that a California is just "not a true" Ferrari. To be honest, while a true Ferrari enthusiast may have a "right" to feel that way, I don't feel this perception was fair because it is unfair. Thus, people, especially the general population who are only somewhat familiar with or care about Ferrari, become subconsciously attuned with a negative bias towards this model. It's somewhat equivalent (dare I say) to Maserati creating the Ghibli. In the end though, the Ghibli in my opinion was a failure whereas the California was a step up for Ferrari in terms of daily drivability as all cars since then have been extremely amazing to drive.

Truth be told I don't own a California/Cali T/Portofino, but I just feel that the model deserves more "love" or didn't deserve such a bad rep. Just wanted to express my 2 cents.

Dolcevita, paulchua and Fireman1291 like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for your post and your thoughts.

It's nothing new in the Ferrari world. People have been taking out sized efforts in proclaiming certain models as 'faux' Ferrari.
    • All 2+2s
    • The Dino
    • Anything after Fiat acquisition
    • Anything after 1988
    • Anything without manual
    • Hybrid
    • AWD
    • V8s
    • V6s
    It's just a lazy way to describe certain models as something that individual doesn't like with hyperbole.

As for the Ghibli, criticism really falls into 2 categories.
    1) Reliability (when as Maserati ever been as reliable as a Toyota?)
    2) Interior fit and finish (especially the sharing of Chrysler parts)

I don't think the Ghibli is a bad car, just that it's not a car meant for everybody. That's a good thing in my book.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  23. wfw

wfw Rookie

Apr 22, 2017
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    After reading many of the comments regarding the ugly, girly California, I bought one. About a year and a half ago, I decided to test drive a 430. After driving it, I was sold on getting one. As an afterthought, I asked to test drive a California. The California was more sedate and lacked the raw experience of the 430. I had to have the 430. But, I thought the California was beautiful, big rear and all. I also like the hardtop convertible much more than the 430 rag top. Fast forward a couple of months, I'm on a mini vacation in Naples, Fl with my wife and we test drive a 430 to buy. My wife was less than impressed; "too noisy, too low for street use, impractical, too attention getting". So no 430 purchase that day. A couple of days later, we were driving around town killing some time and happened upon an exotic car lot and decided to look around. We ended up test driving a California, my wife gave me the thumbs up, and I drove it home. I love it! It's blue; I didn't want red. To me, the blue gives it a more sophisticated look. More subtle than the cliche red. To me, the rear end looks big, wide and tough, makes me think of American muscle cars I grew up with. I think the softer curves of the fenders have a classical look, versus many of the modern supercars that are too angular and edgy for street cars. Plus, what's not to like about women telling you how much they love your sexy blue Ferrari?

Beezztie, Dolcevita, AD211 and 2 others like this.
  24. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I’m with you.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Excellent post. They are all Ferrari. Lets get that out of the way. Just different flavors. It's like saying cheddar cheese is not 'real' cheese just because you don't like it. It's intellectually dishonest. Totally fine to hate Ferrari X and love Ferrari Y. But this "it's not a real Ferrari" nonsense is laziness shrouded in chest pumping.