Why so much Cali hate? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Why so much Cali hate?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by cosmicdingo, Dec 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I don't think it spells the end of an era for Ferrari, but it's not for me.

Ugly rear and too much luxury.

Honestly, the only thing I hate about my 308 is the d@mn "power" windows.

If Ferrari were to return to the spirit of the F40 - no stereo, no leather seats, a largely unfinished interior, terrifying power, and astonishing handling - and do THAT for +/- $200k, then I'd be all over that.

If I wanted storage capacity, comfort, and lots of gizmos and geegaws, I could buy a VW Passat.

2. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Yes I see your point as I've been vocal in prior posts, in prior threads, about the F149 appealing to women and men, skewed to women. That isn't a secret to anyone. But what are you comparing the performance to? The Scuderia? The 599GTB? The Enzo? The performance benchmarks for the California eclipse most cars.

Power 460 bhp / 343 KW @ 7750 rpm
    Torque 485 Nm / 358 ft lbs @ 5000 rpm
    BHP/Liter 107 bhp / liter
    Power to weight 0.27 bhp / kg
    Top Speed 310 km/h / 193 mph
    0-60 mph 3.9 s

How are these specs sub-par? sub 4s/460bhp/358ft/193mph is embarrassing? Those are muscle car range benchmarks for a retractable hardtop coupe. Those are great numbers even at it's weight. It's not far behind the F430. But they're entirely different cars for different expectations.

Compare it to the F430:
    Power 483 bhp / 360 KW @ 8500 rpm
    Torque 465 Nm / 343 ft lbs @ 5250 rpm
    BHP/Liter 112 bhp / liter
    Power to weight 0.33 bhp / kg
    Top Speed 315 km/h / 196 mph
    0-60 mph 3.9 s

Before anyone crucifies me, remember I maintain that they're entirely different cars for different expectations.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    IIRC the Forza article said 60 percent of the buyers are new to Ferrari.

Of course none of those 60 percent post on this board.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    No, rather on the Oprah and Martha Stewart sites............

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That may be true for you, but Ferrari would not sell many of these at 200K. People just expect more from the cars.

This argument has been going on for decades. When the Boxer came out, Ferrari was accused of abandoning its "race car for the road" roots by putting out such a luxurious car. Ferarri can't win with the hard core but it's the poseurs who pay the bills.

Dave

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If that's true, then the Cali will succeed at what it is intended to do------expand their appeal and market.

Dave

7. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I feel this to be very true, what you have said.

8. George308

George308 Rookie

Dec 18, 2007
    #108 George308, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
    A dealer with one of the longest waiting lists in the US doesn't have a single "new owner" on the list for a California- not one. So much for your "60% new owners" Forza fantasies. Maybe in China and Russia where the increased factory output WAS going (before the global economy fell on its ass)

I don't drive a 308. By 2010 I'll have either traded my Ferrari or given it to a friend who is the executor of my estate and I'll have bought a REAL GT: Maserati GT-S and a real sports car, either a Porsche GT3 or GT3RS. I've driven 19 cars worth $8 million in the past few months (and decided on the two I just mentioned) and in two weeks I've been invited to test a car in the multi-million dollar range that will cost the owner $300-500 in tire wear just for my demonstration mileage.
    And I wont miss any of you either.

9. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I think because Ferrari used the California name, expectations were very high,
    especially for how the car was to look. I have not seen the car in person yet
    but from the pictures, not really a big departure from the 599, and alot like
    the Corvette in some ways. At the very least they should have done something
    that didn't look like anything else in Ferrari's lineup.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    From what I've read- you are right about the fact that a lot of current owners are going to order the new Cali. Some will be adding, others trading. And in certain markets, a lot of new customers are placing orders, too.

In the beginning, the novelty of the Cali will compete directly with the similarly priced F430 eating into it's sales numbers. But then the F430 will be phasing out and the Cali will be priced at the bottom of the model line. The successor of the F430 will probably be $40-50K more expensive.

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yet Aston's DB9 is a supersleek 2+2 available as a volante

12. 512bbnevada

512bbnevada Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    It really seems Dan Neil was right Ferrari messes up and shoots themselves in the foot they do it with both barrels, Ferrari makes more money selling its licensing crap than cars, this car by doubling production plus the fact its not a wow car that young kids will dream about takes away from the Ferrari mistique, I don't see much licensing of Mercedes or Jaguar, no I am not a buyer of a Cali never would be not even for a bimbo girlfirend if I were filthy rich but I don't want to see the brand tarnished and watered down by average designs and big production numbers even though it may have a trick transmission and a few other gizmos

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Mercedes and Jaguar do sell branded merchandise. I even get catalogs in the mail from Mercedes with everything from clothing, watches, pens, umbrella's, soccer balls, and other accessories. At most dealers, you will find Mercedes brand merchandise for sale.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My BMW dealer looks more like a Toys R US store when you walk inside. BMW Skateboards, pedal cars, die cast, radio control, stuffed animals, etc. I don't think it stops anyone from appreciating the products on the showroom floor.

15. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I believe you've missed the point: the 250 PF Coupe was hardly Ferrari's most extreme iteration, it is a gentleman's GT, yet one that did and still does speak first to the enthusiast driver, while being very easy on the eyes.

In catering to the tastes and requirements of Suge Knight, Kevin Federline, and Rosie O'Donnell Ferrari, via FIAT, have lost that sharpness of purpose.

Further: All-aluminum cars should offer a weight and thereby inherent performance advantage, viz the Elise or NSX: Everything in Ferrari's current all
    all-aluminum fleet can be optioned out to two-tons or nearly so, the Cali 2+ being the most egregious having but two seats and compromised room for but "one set of golf clubs".

The Cali 2+ is loathed because it is the very last step before Ferrari follow McLaren Mercedes' SLR, two tons of carbon-fiber codpiece, for those completely bereft of natural endowment.

All of which is fine from the perspective of maximizing revenue from the 'key-fob competitors' market, but it leaves the enthusiast driver searching elsewhere for satisfaction.

With all respect, you're daft.

16. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #116 Sledge4.2, Dec 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #117 TheMayor, Dec 24, 2008
    And, I suppose this one doesn't?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave

I don't recall insulting you or anyone else. Perhaps you can explain to us what in my statement would make anyone "daft".

Dave

19. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #119 Sledge4.2, Dec 24, 2008
  20. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Wow, thats 19 cars with an average worth of over $400k each!!!! Are there even 19 different non vintage cars that average over $400k each???

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Try not to stroke his over inflated ego too much...

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    That all depends on what scale they are.
    I'm looking at a 512M and 575GT right now while I'm eating dinner.

23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I don't think you are "daft" at all!

24. JonRobertQuinn

JonRobertQuinn Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Im diggin the new California... Will it stand the test of time. We will have to see.

The performance on the car is great. I love the rear end design, can do without the front end design. The interior looks good. Forza magazine originally stated that the back seats would serve a purpose which is the reason for calling it a 2+ rather than 2+2, but now thats its ready to roll, thats a different story.. Will it end up being a modern mondial? We will have to see. According to my local Ferrari dealer, they are already preordered for the first 2 years in production. So get it now if you want one.

25. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I fear you are in the minority.

Of course that's what they're saying ! :) Show me a full order book.