Why so 'mysterioso' with Enzo production? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why so 'mysterioso' with Enzo production?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by finnerty, Aug 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Perhaps Marcel Massini will put a finer point on this, but more than 272 288 GTOs were made.

2. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    284 ?

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    When at the factory in 2003, we saw a silver Enzo and were told what we thought we saw was incorrect. Silver Enzo's do not exist and never will from the factory.... funny it was sitting right there in front of us (and now how many NON-standard colors have cropped up?)

In 2005, when at the factory again, we walked past a 250 pf coupe. We were told it was a 1957 model. I kinda coughed at that and was VERY WELL INFORMED that I obviously didn't understand the history of Ferrari...

I think the factory has their story and then there is reality...

If I remember correctly, Ferrari always claimed they would build 1 less than what the world market would demand, just because their number was off by a little, it still doesn't go against their intentions, to build 1 less than demand....

If it turns out REAL demand is 492, then at 491 they have built the "APPROPRIATE" amount...

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Ah. So non-born-again Enzo count may be in a perpetual state of 399 + 1 Popenzo, forever and ever. Amen.

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    People, people, people, the answer is simple, it's because they're Italian and that's the way Italians do things!, always have, always will!.

If you want accurate records, go to Germany, they pride themselves on that type of thing.

The Italians?, they don't really see why it's that important to anyone. They'll agree with you that in theory that it should matter but then they will tell you that in reality it's not so important so why make a fuss?.

It's just a different attitude to life really. :)

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Sums it up perfectly. And by the way, this does not just apply to the Ferrari factory.

What did the late TC Browne say? I forget the exact quote but it went something like this: "There are lies, damned lies, and then there are car manufacturer's statistics"

7. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I imagine it had something to do with the fact that demands were so high for the car. Obvious I suppose.

Ferrari made a target known to the media and exceeded it.

There's really no need to express publicly that you've sold more than your initial goal. Anybody in the know will bd happy to tell you there were more than 400 built. I don't think the factory has any need to make a statement.

_J

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #33 finnerty, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
    Really..........?????

You don't think a publicly traded (owned) company has the obligation to disclose to its shareholders, and by extension the appropriate regulatory agencies, what their revenues are and from exactly where (and what products) they have been generated???

I have no idea how companies operate in Italy, but not releasing true and accurate production / sales figures would never fly for any public US company ---- especially an automaker.

9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Enzos were always available in any colour the purchaser wanted to order.

It is surely somewhat disingenuous (at the least) to be selling a car with a plaque that says it is 1 of 399 when you've already made more than 400 though.

Jonathan

10. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #35 finnerty, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
    Indeed. So what did the plaque on the last one produced say "459 of 399" ?!

Has there been a factory recall to "update the plaques" of the original 399 cars to read "___ of (the first) 399" ?!

Geez..... I don't even own an Enzo, and this still ticks me off.

If this kind of crap happened in the States (from a US automaker), you can bet some lawyer would be all over it bringing suit for "false advertising" ---- and, they would likely win the judgment.....

11. Ligu

Ligu Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2009
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Michele
    Yes, but you can also bet that in the future you would never get another limited-production Ferrari from the Factory... ;)

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Differently from how they operate elsewhere.

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You wouldn't have much of a case as even with over production they went to an economic premium.

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I would love to see a picture of the Pope driving his Enzo in anger around Rome!

15. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    This might actually be true. The only silver Enzo I know of exists here in Newport Beach. The owner owns ALL silver cars and was told he could not buy a silver Enzo. He then purchased a red Enzo and immediately sent it back to the factory to have it repainted silver. The factory has no problem "refurbishing or customizing" existing owner's cars so while it may not have been originally silver it is an original factory painted silver Enzo! :)

16. V40RaCeR

V40RaCeR Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Ian
    There are several factory painted Argento Enzos out there. The one here in SoCal might be the only one in the US but I've heard that there is another one somewhere in the states. However, I'm confused as to why he was not allowed to initially order the car in silver. If this is true, does that mean that all of the limited production colors (Grigio Alloy, the Grigio Titanios, Blu Pozzi, etc.) were factory repaints? Some clarification would be gladly appreciated.

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    One of the silver Enzos (MFER) here in SoCal isn't even a US Enzo. But plenty of the non-red/non-yellow/non-black Enzos were originally liveried in their extracampionario colors, from the factory, when they were first built.

18. ZFFDT57

ZFFDT57 Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Europe
    Full Name:
    I've got one
    Which car do you mean???

Up until a certain stage in the Enzo production, every shade except Rosso Corsa, Giallo Modena and Nero was considered extracampionario...

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    A shame he was told that when in fact what he was told simply was not true. There are a number of silver Enzos.

Perhaps they had a red one they wanted to sell him, and if that's the case it would not be the first time I have heard of authorized Ferrari concessionaires acting in this way. I'm sure the dealer that told him that he could not get a silver Enzo did not pay for the repaint.

20. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Oh my gosh----Bubba- the ghost of enzo is seen in the last picture you posted, standing right in front of the Alfa!!! This proves 1/3 of my theory that Enzo, Elvis and Jim Morrison are still alive!

Sorry- I couldn't help myself :)

21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I am in Houston. I am 100% certain a Factory painted silver Enzo was delivered here in Houston. I am also 100% certain the silver Enzo I saw at the factory was 100% as "Would be delivered" by the factory. It was made clear to us about the whole divert our eyes and don't look at that as it doesn't exist speech that the tour guide gave us....having said that, I have had many disagreements with the "FACTS" of the factory tour, but it hard to argue when you see it on the SEVEN car "special" production line.......

Last factory visit I had, that Special production line is now no longer for view by factory guests....but then again, we now get to see fancy buildings, cooler presentations, and more historical stuff....I ain't complaining, but the factory access is different now than even a couple of years ago....

Sitting outside the factory test gates, I snapped the FIRST public images of the 599 without any disguise.....when you have been there a couple of times, it is pretty easy to figure out "where" to look for the awesome stuff. I have NEVER violated the policies that were described to me by Ferrari for a factory visit, but if you visit Maranello enough, you know where to look.

Originally, Enzo's were only available in red, yellow and black (name the colors as the factory did for fun if you like), but many cars left in colors other than that.....just sayin'.....

22. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The greatest statement of all..... Where are the "Damages"?

23. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Making "false claims" is entirely different from "consideration" and "damages" ----- and litigating them is unique, but both are equally viable claims.

"I ain't no Lawyer, but I play one on TV....."

24. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Incidentally, as much as I enjoy the "Ferrari Mystique", is anyone else getting as tired of the factory's "cloak and dagger" BS as I am???

They are CARS, after all --- not interests of national security (Italy's or anyone else).

I'm starting to suspect that Enzo Ferrari may have shot John F. Kennedy......................

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Yes, but "False" doesn't really apply when they tal about production being based on demand....

MANY Ferrari people have legal backgrounds and are careful as such, when you talk about "Demand" from a world prospective, you truely have no idea until cars are produced, and that is simple and true. when demand presents itself after the fact is the only time it could be argued about original statements....

Market research is just that, actual people putting $$$$ down is something else....

A prefect example, although the California has been successful, look at many people have taken delivery based on actual initial orders..... I can't fault Ferrari for this, the economy/market/world has changed. They are a limited production auto builder, regardless of model. They are at the pinacle of auto devlopment. There is NO way they can know what true demand is until they deliver cars....

At the end of the day, they make cars to race cars, the way it has always been. I find it VERY difficult to believe ANY JURY will find against them for the Enzo you (original buyer) bought at around $700k that is NOW ONLY WORTH $1M +, unless of course, it has been run into a wall for some movie.....

And even then, sells for above sticker..... simply that means there is NO loss/damges/claim/ETC.....

"False Claims" are all dependent of definable losses....GOOD Luck....