Why so 'mysterioso' with Enzo production? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why so 'mysterioso' with Enzo production?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by finnerty, Aug 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    You misunderstand, perhaps?..... I'm merely speaking hypothetically....

2. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Did ferrari say they were only making 399 cars, or did they specifically put in writing in a contract that they guaranteed they would only make 399? My guess is the former. How successful were those people who bought the "last cadillac convertible" boss Hog style eldorado convertible in the 70's suing GM when the Allante came out? They were not. If they made 400, 500 or 600 Enzos, the market value is the same- a rare high priced halo car- and to be a halo ferrari is why they go for what they go for and will always be worth more relative to other comparable period ferraris.

3. XTP

XTP Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Xander
  4. Natan Tazelaar

Natan Tazelaar Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2006
    Netherlands; Texas USA
    Full Name:
    Natan Tazelaar
    Just get a Mondial Cabriolet if you want a more exclusive car ;)

natant

5. pascalt

pascalt Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Pascal
  6. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    it seems evident.:)

7. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #57 mrbucket2, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe that they all have a plaque that says 399 limited production, and not the actual number in the series that the car is. I was able to get this shot of the plaque in TaxDr's Enzo at the Alpine show this month.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Friendly reminder that the initial announced production run was 349 and I recall some uproar when they raised it to 399.

9. Sean M

Sean M Rookie

Jan 2, 2010
    Beverly Hills Ca
    Full Name:
    Sean M
    It would be funny to see the plaintiff's response when the judge offers them a $650000 refund in exchange for their Enzo . Regardless of the production numbers I doublt if any Enzo owner would be ticked off when their car almost doubled in value in the first 10 years, unlike any car ever manufactured by a U.S. auto maker.

10. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    From a business standpoint, the above statement makes perfect sense.

I look at it like this. Whether Ferrari produces 399 Enzos as advertised, or if the end result is that Ferrari actually produced close to 500 cars, the owners still have purchased a limited production vehicle. The cars were produced to be "driven". Ferrari doesn't want these cars to sit and accumulate in value, although that is what some do.

I could understand the false advertising issues, false production numbers and the want to appeal these issues in legal ways, but I don't think any of it would hold up in the courts.

Many products are brought out for a limited production run, and when the market shows a demand it's not uncommon that you see another limited production run and so on and so on.

11. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't know about the legal side but if you buy something that has a plaque saying "limited 1 of 399" in the case of the Enzo or "limited 1 of 499" in the case of the 16M and you're actually buying the 450th Eno made or the 550th 16M then that is fundamentally dishonest. It wasn't really a limited edition at all. It was a questino of making pretty much as many as they could sell. Of course, since Enzos are worth much more now than their original purchase price owners don't have much reason to complain but even so it is a dubious practice.

Jonathan

12. cc8s

cc8s Karting

Jan 28, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I hope I am not going to sound very ignorant and this is not my area of expertise. But 1. I am intrigued to know/see the evidence that there were more than 400 made. I know, from my own research into Zondas, that tracking down cars is very hard and the differences between Enzos are less than those of Zondas. I also highly doubt that someone has seen all the serial numbers as my friend's Enzo's number is unknown by the databases and there will be so many more Enzos that have not had their Vins verified. So where does this information come from? A list of serial numbers? If this is the case then 2. What about the Maserati MC12 that were all made on Enzo chassis? Could this account for discrepancies in numbers? These are just some of my thoughts! :)

13. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It is combined information from various sources. I'll lay pretty good odds that the serial number of your friend's Enzo is already in my database. PM me if you want more information.

Maseratis have entirely different VINs.

Jonathan

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    As Jonathan has said, Maseratis have totally different VINs. And FXXs are not included in the number of Enzos either. The number arrived at in this thread is through a series of people who are plugged into a network of information. Not some kid with a magazine at a candy store; and not some guy at a car show who heard something at another car show. The information is valid and very few pieces of it can escape verification.

And just as you've said, there will be so many more Enzos that have not had their VINs verified. So the number could realistically be north of 500.

I, too, would be interested in your friend's Enzo serial number. I imagine it's already known, but I'll refrain from assumption in the spirit of verification. :)

15. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

NNO and jtremlet:

Just looking for a total number here.

How many Enzos are in your database?

16. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    +1.

17. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Do you think if the market tanked and the Enzo depreciated in value that more owners would dispute the production numbers?

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #68 greyboxer, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    The question in post 65 was asked in this thread a couple of months ago already (post 11) and the best answer was that Mr Sheehan & others were aware of not less than 446 and probably 491 (post 21) - try reading the whole thread !

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Conservatively, 480.

20. Ruddmeister

Ruddmeister Karting

Dec 2, 2008
    #70 Ruddmeister, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    Exactly...

Irrespective of the number of cars produced each owner has made a vast profit on his/her purchase, therefore I'm not sure what they would be filing a law suit against Ferrari for?...only making 50% profit on their purchase?

Unless the purchaser tried to prove that the huge profit they made could have been even higher were the number actually 399 not 450+?

I just can't see it happening.

If this practice was repeated and it could be proved that over production seriously devalued a car and it can be proved beyond doubt the manufacturer lied about production numbers.....that would be different.

21. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I agree with this and that's exactly the reason why there are probably even more than the 491 noted.. also agree that Enzo owners are not really bothered.

22. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Well, since your post indicates that you are a smart a$$, let me provide you with some guidance.

First, I read the whole thread. Perhaps you should review my question.

Second, the question is posed in post #10, not post #11.

Third, my question was aimed at NNO and jtremlant, and requested a specific number in their database. Asking a question about something specific to two posters is not the same as getting an answer from Joe Sackey or Gerald Rousch. I was not looking for a "range" but rather a number--which can be found on NNO's database. No offense to Joe S. or Gerald, but Carbon is obsessive with his information and I trust it to be very precise and specific. Also, Mr. Sheehan's quote is from 2007, and I believe that NNO and jtremlant have made some better progress in the intervening years.

Fourth, there was a specific reason I asked NNO and jtremlant instead of the others, but apparently that distinction is lost on you.

And, Fifth, why be so snippy?

23. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Thank you very, very much.

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    You know the beauty of it is it's a win-win. Ferrari says it's a limited edition of ONLY 399 cars built, you're very lucky to have been chosen. Meanwhile, they build an extra 100 to sell to those who beg for one. We may all sit around and say shame on them, but a) they're making more money and b) the owners certainly don't want to admit there's more than 399 of them. So who's really going to complain?

25. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    None taken!