Will Ferrari ever make another manual transmission? | FerrariChat

Will Ferrari ever make another manual transmission?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Owain, Jan 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Owain

Owain Rookie

Mar 15, 2012
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    Owain Richards
    Over the years I have driven numerous Ferraris and last year took the plunge and bought an early manual transmission 612. I have now completely caught the Ferrari bug and would lie to buy another. However since driving the big manual V12 I have taken a new FF for a test drive but found the F1 gearbox makes driving the car feel a bit sterile. I am going to test an F12 when I get the opportunity in the new year however after previous experiences with 599s and the V8s I know I will get out of the car dreaming of the 730 horsepower V12 and a manual box.

2. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I doubt it, since the overwhelming majority order the paddles. Unless you get a guy like
    Eric Clapton who commissions one. It would be great to see Ferrari do a Porsche Boxster ( 1st generation) like car. A simple, small throwback sports car with a manual, light on the electronics. It would definitely be a huge revenue stream for them. Look what the Porsche SUV is doing for them.

3. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    AFAIK Claptons car was only externally modified?

4. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I too am a huge fan of manual transmission cars with three pedals. I like the sense of involvement. As a recreational Ferrari driver, I want to be really involved.

That said, the paddle shift transmissions have such a performance advantage that I can't imagine Ferrari going back to a stick in any future cars. If you look at the succession of modern Ferrari cars you see great attention being paid to performance improvements and technical advances between models. This is clearly at the top of their agenda when introducing new models.

I would love to see a less expensive Ferrari produced that is more about the raw experience with minimal luxury. Maybe something with a Dino label... they could sell a lot of them. I doubt we will see this though as it would dilute the brand. The public perception is that these are expensive supercars and introducing a significantly cheaper model would not help the brand image. Ferrari understand that they need to maintain that perception of exclusivity.

I suspect that Fiat Group could introduce something via Lancia or Alfa that would fill this niche, but sadly, I don't see Ferrari doing it.

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The drive train of Eric Clapton's one off SP12 EC is the standard 458 Italia drive train, including the semi-automatic gearbox.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    My personal opinion is that manufacturers such as Ferrari, Lambo etc etc have lost the plot! If a client is spending $100-$200K+ they should have a choice of how they want to shift their gears and the manufacturer should not be deciding what tranny the customer will recieve.

7. f pilot

f pilot Karting
    BANNED

Nov 28, 2008
    undisclosed
    Full Name:
    Kona
    In one of the Enzo interviews, I don't remember if it was the one at the museum but he talks about his vision of the driver not having to manually shift the gears or worry about shifting gears. I know at least someone here has seen the same video.

8. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Sounds like a 348 to me....

9. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

Didn't Ferrari offer a manual on the California recently and almost nobody ordered it with the manual? If nobody's buying them, it isn't worth developing it from Ferrari's financial standpoint. The age of clutches and manual gearboxes is behind us. The C7 Corvette will probably be the last sports car ever designed with a standard manual.

10. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Mercedes Benz, Bentley, Audi, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini etc apparently don,t think so and are doing very well.

11. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Ahhh, the ol' "the manufacturers are wrong and we're right" argument.

Ferrari, Lambo et al haven't lost anything... They're businesses, in it to make money.

The clients spending $100-200k (and actually, much more) on Ferraris and Lambos did have a choice and they voted almost unanimously with their wallets and orders in favour of F1-style gearboxes. The guys ordering new are paying a lot of money for the privilege of buying the pinacle of automotive engineering and that means cars without a clutch peddle. If the orders dictated a demand for manual cars, the manufacturers would surely respond. But the demand would have to be sufficient to cover the R&D costs and that alone make this a long shot.

I enjoy shifting gears as much as the next guy, but it has it's time and place. Give me a F355, or 930, or E-Type with a manual, and I'm a happy guy! But if I'm hopping into a 458, or Aventador, or even a new M5, I want the best that the manufacturer can currently offer and that means a car with paddles.

To me, manual transmissions give a nostalgic element to driving... The analog aspect that reminds me of a time when machines were more simple. As I said, I feel there's a time and a place for both analog and digital and the key is finding the balance. I don't lament apple for not offering a turntable with tube amp on the ipod ;)

12. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Ferrari, among other exotic car manufacturers, are in the relentless pursuit of technological innovation and competing in that market. Building a car today with a good ol' 6 speed stick shift would not make any sense.

Nothing against a manual, but it's like Lady Gaga putting out an album on cassette...

13. Owain

Owain Rookie

Mar 15, 2012
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    Owain Richards
    You are entirely right that these companies are businesses and they have to cater to the clients who are buying their cars. There are a huge number of Ferrari owners in the south of Spain where I spend most of my time and the vast majority of these cars are purely for posing and never driven as they could/should be. The F1 gearshift is a good toy for these people and undoubtedly quicker for everyone with the possible exceptions of Herr Schumacher. However if ultimate performance is what the average Ferrari owner is after I'm positive Ferrari could write some software for their gearboxes to do the changes for them to always have optimum power or torque so their potential lap times if they went near a track would be marginally quicker. For me this is just the next step of the dumbing down of the driving experience.

14. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Auto boxes also let manufacturers program around specific emissions requirements for street cars (and mileage tests). Defaults to auto for a reason.

It's not all about speed.

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Do you go to a top of the range Hi-Fi manufacturer demanding that for the price you're paying, they must fit it with an 8-track player?, or that it must be able to play the old 78rpm records?

Why should the Hi-Fi manufacturers limit your choice when you're paying top dollar for it?

How about a top of the range car stereo that plays CD's, CD-R's, CD-RWs, MP3's, has I-pod connectivity , bluetooth, has FM, AM, LW, MW etc., costs $1000's - but hang on! - what about your old cassette tapes? do you query the fact that for the money you're paying, you don't get that option any more? Do you demand that they give you the option of still being able to play cassette tapes? - Or do you just accept that times have moved on?

Now look at things from Ferrari's point of view:

As with any manufacturer, the ideal situation for Ferrari is to have a standardised production process where all your products in a single range are basically identical, with different options being more a less a simple bolt on/plug-in process.

This means you have a standardised parts which helps keep the costs down.

A classic example are car wiring looms. As a manufacturer, would you go to the expense of making individual looms for each car depending on the options to be fitted, or do you make a single loom that is capable of dealing with all the possible options? - The answer is rather obvious!
    (Even companies with products as expensive as Ferrari's are, need to rationalise their manufacturing expenditure!)

Now lets look at the gearbox situation.

If you make a manual and a semi-automatic version of your car, you instantly double the cost of the gearbox components and you have to allow room in your car design to allow for the linkage to the gearbox for the manual option, along with the clutch operation system (including pedals, linkages, etc., etc.). This can all take up some very valuable space, especially around the foot pedals.

A big complaint of manual Ferrari's in the past has been the offset position of the foot pedals in relation to the steering wheel due to the need for the front wheel well, and how close the pedals have to be to each other due to the limited space in the foot-well, both of which can make the cars uncomfortable to drive for some (and considering how much larger tyre/wheel combinations have become, it's a more major issue than ever before).

With a semi-automatic gearbox there's only two pedals to fit into the space, allowing for a much more comfortable pedal position.

The Gear-change operation can be carried out by thin electrical wires rather than rods or cables and there is no clutch linkage required from the drivers feet to the clutch assembly.

So production costs are lower and there's more comfort for the driver.

Next we come to the ideology behind Ferrari's gearbox thinking:

Ferrari as a Company want to be seen as an innovative Company, at the forefront of technology that stems from it's racing program. They were the first Team in the World to have semi-automatic gearboxes in F1 and so they want make full use of the racing link.

Apart from packaging advantages, semi-automatic gearbox also have the advantage that the drivers hands are never very far away from the steering wheel and the gear changes can be made much quicker, with less chances of mis-shifting.

So gear changes can be made in a tenth the time of a manual, the drivers hands stay near the steering wheel, making fast driving safer, there's more room/comfort for the driver and their feet and it costs less to fit - based on standardisation of parts if nothing else!

Basically, semi-automatics are the future and manual gearboxes are an archaic thing of the past!

"But the customer is paying a lot of money so they should get the choice!" you say.

It's the same as with the Hi-Fi's, the car stereos, the TV's etc., etc., unless you prepared to pay massively over the standard price, then you have to accept the options that the manufacturer supplies - and that times and technologies move on!

What is quite funny is that it used to be Ferrari as a Company that were very resistant to change: They were late fitting disc brakes, fuel injection, mid mounted engines and many other such things.

Now it appears that it's the some of the customers and not the Company that are resistant to change!

16. Owain

Owain Rookie

Mar 15, 2012
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    Owain Richards
    Again I agree but the direction Ferrari is taking is to produce the ultimate car in terms of speed to sell to its average customer not produce the ultimate drivers car, which is fair enough as has been previously stated Ferrari is a business. I would almost certainly do the same if it were my business, however it still saddens me. Comparisons to hifi equipment is not really relevant apart from the fact that most people sit in their armchairs to listen to their hifi and supercars are fast becoming very quick armchairs that do all the work of driving for you.

17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Me thinketh you do not understand the technical and financial costs involved with creating a gearbox that less than 10% would order...

Im also a fan of the manual gearbox...but I also run a business and understand what ROI means.

18. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    It should be technically possible to add a manual shifter to the existing dual-clutch 7-speed F1 transmission.

Imagine, using drive-by-wire technology, they added a stick-shift and clutch pedal to the 458.
    The clutch would "feel like a mechanical clutch" to your leg but would electronically operate the computerized clutch in the F1 trans.
    Same thing with the shifter. It would "feel like a stick-shift" to your hand but would be operating the gear shift in the F1 trans.
    The friction and pressure feedback in both the clutch pedal and shifter would be fully computer-simulated to match what is happening at that time with the internal mechanicals inside the F1 trans.

So, then, you'd have the best of both worlds: paddle shift and stick-shift - in the same car.
    You could just switch the mode button from: auto, to paddle, to stick.

We'd need a 7-speed shift gate though. :)

(And maybe in the FF they put the shifter on the steering column - the ol' 7-on-the-tree shifter).

19. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've experienced paddle shifting in my wife's M3, my S63 and by way of many test drives. I don't get what is suppose to be so fun about paddle shifting? I get why a F1 car would have it but they are trying to win a race not go out and have fun. I find it sad. I am still baffled that there are so few people who would want a stick shift? I love the 458 and might have even bought one if it had a stick shift. I now realize that I better just take care of my 355.

20. Owain

Owain Rookie

Mar 15, 2012
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    Owain Richards
    I do understand it is uneconomic, I have said that, it just saddens me. Dropping the clutch in a big Ferrari v12 is something I would like to keep experiencing for the rest of my life.

21. Sausage Control

Jan 1, 2013
    Not only did golf carts deprive the experience of manually advancing the course terrain, they're all automatics.

22. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Like fake carbon fiber :D

23. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    :D

touché

24. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think you're overestimating the market at 10%... Rumored takeup of the manual in the california was 7. Not percent, but 7 cars. Nobody ordered them so they stopped making them.

If one really really wanted a manual trans 458, one could buy a 458 GT3, a regular 458 and a 430 6 speed. Take the trans from the 458 GT3 and the shifter mechanism and linkage from the 430 and put them in the 458 and voila, a manual trans 458. Kinda pricey, though.

25. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I thought that 15% of the 430's sold were stick shift?