Will Lewis quit & who is available to replace him ? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Will Lewis quit & who is available to replace him ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by greyboxer, Dec 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree,
    As a reminder, in his F3 season he won six races in a row..
    Not bad for a complete rookie.

Bas, ingegnere and absostone like this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not forgetting Niki Lauda who was nothing special in the lower categories, or during his first 3 years as a pay-driver in F1 (March & BRM).

Niki really came good only when he joined Ferrari.

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Just saw a Planet f1 headline that lulu is coming back, now we get to look at his mug for another season. terrible day. Go away

500drvr, ingegnere and Nortonious like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    With a bit of luck Merc builds a terrible car :)

Hocakes, 500drvr, ingegnere and 2 others like this.
  5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Man I would love that.

Bas and Nortonious like this.
  6. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Booo. My answers to the question in thread title:

I hope so and I don't care.

Oh well, here's to Russell and elton battling for P5

ingegnere, absostone and Bas like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

MS was pretty darn good in karting imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And a certain Ayrton Senna da Silva wasn't too shabby in karting in his days, either...
    On the other hand, Ayrton's fiercest and most dangerous rival in Formula 3 was Martin Brundle, who never won a Grand Prix.

Rgds

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I thought it was Henton for some reason in F3. Brian faded rapidly n F1 after being widely touted in lower classes. I

I wasn’t surprised Russell set cruise after his signing. Why bother at Williams, time to protect his assets for the big leagues.

Gorgeous owill outqualify Lewis handily next season but he’ll obviously realize the priority for Merc is to have Ham secure WDC for an eighth time and therefore play a ‘there’s a good lad’ role in 2022.

In ‘23 he’ll be an animal no matter the outcome of ‘22.

375+ likes this.
  10. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    Let's be honest, Hamilton was robbed in Abu Dhabi and I think the damage that it's done to his career is massive.

I think that painful defeat will have knocked all the fight out of him.

He's finally met his match in Verstappen, the first driver who is arguably more talented than he is with the added youth and extra will to win.

He's the only driver I feel Hamilton has feared, for too long he's been battling Verstappen with trepidation.

Hamilton put everything in to holding on to his crown and he's come second best.

I just can't see him reaching the heights he's reached before now, best to walk away rather than be forced out.

william likes this.
  11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, Martin Brundle it was, against Ayrton Senna that is, Is: the 1983 british Formula 3 championship ended with Senna at 132 points, Martin Brundle at 123.
    In the same perspective, do you remember a guy named Mike Thackwell? And there are others, of course.

Rgds

375+ likes this.
  12. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    People seem to forget that the biggest determinant of the wdc next year will be the car, not the driver. If Merc deliver a winning car, it’ll be Ham vs George. When Ham was in that situation vs Alonso, he didn’t hold back and he went for it. I have no doubt he will expect George to do the same to him. Let’s see. It could be tremendous fireworks. George owes him nothing.

Picchu88, 375+ and tifosi12 like this.
  13. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Too funny. You mean my first driver crush and yes I spent some time with him in Montreal after his very first F1 outing. Even asked him about porpoising. Not bad for a nine year old, if I do say so myself…..;)

ingegnere, Jeronimo GTO and 375+ like this.
  14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

As it should be.

15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Won’t happen. Similar nationalities and Merc wants to be tied to a stand alone 8 time WDC holder. Why rock the boat when GR has nothing but time to familiarize himself with the inner workings of the best seat in the house?

He’ll play the game in ‘22 although he’ll be out to prove he is ultimately quicker in quali.

Jeronimo GTO and 375+ like this.
  16. DF1

We shall see what the 'arrangements' Toto has spoken of yield.

When its time to support the clearly faster driver - you do just that. Binotto failed with Seb and Charles ;)

Isobel likes this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Spot on.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    We saw the value in the clear number two driver with Checo this season. I would surmise that if the same two protagonists are battling for the WDC next year, it will be a "learning, transitional year" for George, and the lid will be taken off the following season.

Make no mistake though...in order to battle Red Bull, Merc will need to have a pecking order.

Isobel likes this.
  19. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Not to mention they will be battling the defending champion in Verstappen, most importantly. They'll want to get that title back, especially considering the way the final race unfolded.

Terra and Isobel like this.
  20. DF1

Interesting debate about normal F1 based on recent results. But we have new cars, and wheels/tires. Who will adapt well. How many will take time as others adapt quickly and be behind. Internal team mate comparisons might not apply at all. The beauty of the unknown that waits with 2022. Max and LH might not start as strongly assuming their respective new cars are at the front to begin with lol!!

Isobel and ricksb like this.
  21. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    There is that reality...it is a new formula and much is yet to be learned. We hear the stories about 'Merc's secret weapons', 'Marko says RBR and Merc are close' and 'Ferrari says their PU is on par with RBR and Merc' but it's all speculation meant to drive clicks. The build up is good though...it keeps people engaged during the short winter before they're back at it again (I recall when the seasons used to be April-October...what a change!)

DF1 and ingegnere like this.
  22. DF1

Testing will be eye opening. If a major team looks weak the vultures of prediction will dig a grave for them in the press and relentless at that LOL!

ricksb likes this.
  23. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don’t think that’s the case. I think he actually enjoyed the challenge this year. He hasn’t had to really race 10/10ths for so long that I bet once he got his eye in again (you can see it took him by surprise and he almost had to learn to be that racer again, hence him dominating more at the end of the season) he found it much more enjoyable than cruising to another championship. It’s what he got into the sport for… why would that be any different now?

He likes having something to aim for and to prove - and I don’t see that changing or altering his approach next year. He seems to be able to dig deep and perform better when it really matters and I think the new formula will be enough of a breath of fresh air to keep him motivated another couple of years at least.

No doubt losing that way will sting, but racers look forwards, not back - and it will be forgotten soon enough to focus on the next race. (IMHO)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Terra and ricksb like this.
  24. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think the last four races, when he had zero margin for error, spoke to his focus and determination on winning the title. I saw anything but resignation from him, starting in Brazil when he had every reason to give in after being sent to the back of the grid for the sprint race. What's probably profoundly disappointing for him is that he didn't step a foot wrong during that final stretch until the laps of confusion in Abu Dhabi resulted in him losing the title.

I would suggest that losing in such fashion drives an alpha competitor vs disheartens one.

Terra and Baracus250GT like this.
  25. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I'm not certain we were watching the same drivers...do you really believe Hamilton fears Verstappen (I mean, if you're saying he feared being taken out as a strategy for MV to win the title, then maybe yes)? He had a lesser car for the majority of the season, but kept his head in the game until they found an advantage towards the end of the season. When he had zero margin for error, he completely raised his game to position himself to win.

I think he would relish the chance to run it back vs MV next year. Hopefully they are in competitive cars.

Terra, Baracus250GT and Isobel like this.