Will the 612 survive against the Bentley C-GT and MB CL AMG? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Will the 612 survive against the Bentley C-GT and MB CL AMG?

Discussion in '612/599' started by ryalex, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I saw the new mazer in florida and it looks really head and shoulders above the ferrari. I hate MB, their cars don't do anything for me. The mazer is about 95k maybe.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I've been thinking my thread shouldn't have been titled "612 survive..." but "612 flourish..." I was trying to look at the 612 as a business move by Ferrari, which has interested me greatly ever since I wrote one of my senior-level marketing class assignments on Ferrari's luxury branding and product management.

Not that the 'rationality' or 'emotional' side of the arguments for any of the cars are any less valid, but the purpose of the thread was to tally responses from owners and tifosi about the 612, given its competition. That said, I'm grateful for everyone's response, and amazed that the thread stayed pretty much on topic!.

3. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    For myself, who lives in the snowbelt, I will buy the Bentely.........but one that is 2-3 years old, with about 10K miles, and pay about $60K for it.

4. I think the 612 is a great 2+2 and the MB CL55 and CL600 are also very nice machines not great handlers but very powerfull and excellent ride at any speed. I would be a hard choice for me but probley take the CL600 more tuning options and also lower maintence costs.

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What does Darth think?

6. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    The 612 is the drivers choice, crazy handling, awesome engine, choice of transmissions, very impressive on the road. Amazing car inside out, a true GT.

They had a huge comparo in a british magazine between the sl65, Conti GT, Aston Vanquish and 612. The 612 and Aston were the facourites.

7. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I believe he thinks CL65 in black :D

8. gum3

gum3 Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Bath, OH
    Full Name:
    Todd
    This is my first post but I have to give my 2 cents and agree with Andys sentiments above. None of the cars mentioned have any practicality and they're completely emotional purchases designed to put a smile on our faces. I've got a 99' 355 F1 spyder that I love but decided to try something different and took delivery of a 05' Conti Gt this evening (its impressive!). I havent had a chance to drive it yet but , while different from the F-car it'll be a similar thrill. I'll post a few pics tomorrow if anyone is interested.
    Todd

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You could say that!

10. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Congrats!

11. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    I just think that all the buff, car mags, depreciation, even reliability etc. are no-sense when you talk about "automobiles", not cars.
    I mean, if you're hertz and about to buy a fleet of 10'000 barges, you'll look at all this crap, but if you want to buy a car for YOU, you look at what YOU like, not what other people tell you is cool or not, because of a performance figure you'll never match or whatever else.
    Any of these cars is probably fun to own/drive in it's own way, and either owner won't have made a bad choice.
    It's just a matter of taste.

Lastly, if natural selection would have prevailed in car industry, we would have only one make left, and that would probably not be GM.

PS: I'll take the 612 anytime, even if i'm too young for that

12. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Using that logic, Aston Martin is American, Lamborghini is German, TVR is Russian etc etc....

What about history? WO Bentley and his legacy? What about the fact that the car is built, by hand, in England?

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    ferrari will sell every 612 it makes at full msrp, as will bentley and mb with the cl65....the mb will depreciate the most, because it looks like every other cl, and i see 7-8 cls a day,..the bentley is a nice car, but doesnt have the head turning presence of older bentleys, but is a nice, fast cruiser with a nice interior...too heavy to handle all that well....the 612 will the be the most fun to drive by a mile and the two i have seen in person, in black and silver, looked much better than the pics ....

14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Unlike the cars above,Conti GT is only assembled in Britain and is made with almost exclusively VW parts.
    The new Flying Spur on the other hand will be assembled in Germany.(next to Phaeton)

15. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Also, just look at in the Conti GTs' interior compared to the Arnage !

It's "in yer face" style, looks like a phaeton on steroids, or the best a lottery winner could possibly pile in bad taste per square meter.

16. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    The 612 is in a very good position compared with the Conti and the CL65. Each car has its merits; the Conti is beautiful, the CL has ungodly acceleration, but IMO the 612 is actually the best overall package of the group. It offers speed, handling, comfort, exclusivity, elegance, and Ferrari mystique, which is something the Bentley and Benz lack.

I find the "none of these cars will make it to the track" comment off base. There is a vast grey area between going out to dinner and a hard core track day... it is called spirited driving and most Ferraris spend most of their time here. That said, massive curb weight and electro nannies are no match for the dynamics of the Scag, isn’t that what Ferrari drivers want?

The bottom line is the world is big enough for the 1000 or so cars of this class that will be built each year. They are all great cars, and better yet each has its own niche so none of them are really redundant or even direct competitors.

17. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I can't speak to driving the 612 - though it is a bit large for my taste. From first hand experience with both, however, I found this difference between the 575 and the Conti GT - every time I drove the 575, I wished Ferrari would build a true Stradale version of the 575 GTC race car. The 575 seemed to have tremendous track potential, stripped down, of course. I never felt racy about the CGT, too flashy IMO but a good car for my wife.

So, if we're voting, and you're buying, I'll take a 612 over the CGT.

18. pdtrixceo

pdtrixceo Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Little Havana
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Welcome aboard, Todd. I drive a 612 (see avatar). I believe the Bentley and the 612 are very different cars that will appeal to different people. I would love to see pictures of your Continental GT, please post them and good luck with your new car. Let us know how you are enjoying it.
    Roger.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Not to get too far off topic, but I saw the FS at the car show 2 weeks ago. Totally unimpressive compared to recent Bentley 4 doors. So much so, I didn't even take a picture of it...

20. Ulmis

Ulmis Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2005
    612 has superior handling , way better hi tech , although it doesn`t look as good as let`s say the Db9 , but technically speaking the Db9 is at least a generation behind , the looks of 612 are way better than that of Merc or Gt .
    In terms of handling , braking , steering , cornering and stability the competition .....wait , what competition ?????
    There is no such a thing !
    It will depreciate ? So ? What`s the big deal , you want the creme de la creme ? Pay for it !

21. etomcat

etomcat Karting

Jul 6, 2004
    Hungary
    Full Name:
    Tamas Feher
    The MB car is turbo, which is considered an el cheapo solution nowadays. The 1980's turbo haydays are long gone. Turbo is socially unacceptable (except on diesels where it's mandatory). Any N/A car is tenfold more prestigious than a turbo. But K for compressor, that is OK, Mercedes should go that way.

German cars are not reseached to speeds over 250 kmph. You play russian roulette if you do the chip tuning. The wedge shaped MB cars are not very aerodynamic.

The BCGT looks like blunt, the front looks like it had already run into a wall. The nose grill was surely borrowed from a London taxi or a Routemaster double-decker. The ass feels 911ish and the entire car reminds me of sports SUV, like the P. Cayenne. I don't know why.

A Ferrari is always a Ferrari and the 612's front feels a bit futuristic. The lenghty curved bonnet commands attention. Handling is great according to reviews.

But I read a Scag user complained the gas tank is a bit small for a Grand Tour car, better have a sat system installed which tells you where the nearest pump is.

Finally 612 has cabriolet version, great plus:

http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/235-11416-214949-1303/612-barchetta.gif

22. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
  23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    etomcat
    I suggest you undersand the subject matter first before making such bold statements

A twin turbo V12 is not prestigious??? You are qualified to make this assesment because? Just imagine if they offered a twin turbo option on the 612, would this be an upgrade or downgrade?
    The MB Kompressors are the entry level power upgrades, and are clearly seen in the market that way.

ECU options are extensive - AMG factory derestrict (300kmh actual), Powerchip along with every other chip tuning company. Lots of BS about how complicated it is to undo, but is ONE variable in ECU programme. You can also buy the equipment to reprogramme the ECU yourself from DIM Sport www.dimsport.com for around $10K, unlock codes for most ECU's are around 100 euro from memory. Also allows you to change rev limits, ignition curves, fueling, corrections, turbo boost, all via a simple windows based graphical interface.

Your comment regarding aerodynamics is comical, the Cd of the MB is 0.27 from memory, significantly better than both CGT and 612.
    The only problem is tyres with the correct speed ratings for the speeds these heavy vehicles can attain. A de-restricted MB will anihilate CGT and 612 in top speed,with exceptional high speed stability. This is their forte.
    Have you ever driven a 300kmh+ MB?

What the MB and CGT will never do is have the soul and passion of the Ferrari along with balance, poise and handling.

As to the barchetta 612..........

24. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    MB is sterile, and no soul
    CGT has half a soul
    612 is Italian, full of heart, soul, and **** on the opposition

25. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran