Will the F12's GTO style wheels fit the 599? | FerrariChat

Will the F12's GTO style wheels fit the 599?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Da Butcher, Oct 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Given the difficulty of finding a set of 599 GTO wheels in as-new condition (not reconditioned or repaired), the F12 featured a similarly styled set of wheels which are relatively more available (found a few sets in eBay). So will those newer F12 wheels' offset fit our 599's with sufficient clearance inside the fender wells?

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

HRE P101 is such a beautiful wheel that I can't tell the difference between it and the OEM wheel. And you can get it in many finishes.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    599 GTO

Five V/Ten Spoke 20”, 5 X 114.3 mm

Front 9.5J x 20” ET 38.1 mm, Rear 11.5J x 20” ET 63.8 mm

F12

Five/Ten Spoke 20”, 5 X 114.3 mm

Front 9.5J X 20 ET 48.4 mm, Rear 11.5J X 20 ET 71.6 mm

Look close enough to fit. Extra offset means they will sit in about 10 mm more than the GTO wheels. As wide as the wheels are, that should not be a problem. 10 mm is about 0.4"

LightGuy likes this.
  4. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Thanks George and Terry,

With the effective front track expanding by 20.6 mm or 0.81", would that potentially result in a 'larger turning radius' or in some understeer, which on the F12 tdF is countered by its rear steering feature?

5. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    BTW, the main reason why I'm asking is that the right rear forged Challenge wheel of my 599 is cracked and needs replacement. Ferrari parts has quoted my repair shop $5,035 for a new wheel, which I think they don't carry in new old stock inventory anymore!

WOW!

So I'd prefer to buy a nearly new set of four 599 GTO or similar forged F12 wheels (replaced by owners in lieu of aftermarket ones) for that amount plus a few additional hundred bucks. It just doesn't make common sense otherwise given that the GTO style surely enhances any 599's looks with hopeful improved handling.

6. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Sorry about the slightly off subject question but does anyone know if 599 GTO wheels would fit the 612 or is this just a step too far? Thanks!

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jose- The turn radius should not be affected. Any difference in handling between GTO and F12 wheels with the same tires would be so small only a pro on a race track could possibly tell the difference.

JS- The rears will fit no sweat, but you would want to do a fit check on the fronts to make sure they clear at full lock and full compression. Cannot remember anyone trying. 458 wheels fit 612s fine since one of our FChatters tried them. Here is a chart with all the wheels for late Ferraris listed to give you some idea of exchange possibilities.

Attached Files:

8. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Thanks again Terry.

I just emailed a potential source in the EU and they confirmed to have in stock a set of GTO wheels. However as you said, the GTO fronts require 285/30 tires whereas the F12 fronts require 255/35 tires which are installed on my fronts. I thought a few in our forum installed GTO wheels without issues.

The new GTO wheels are about $7,500 while the similar F12 wheels slightly used are about $5,500. Decisions, decisions!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Terry, you are a star! Thank you so much for your consistent knowledge and support!

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jose- No, you do not need to fit the 285/30 tires on GTO wheels on a standard 599 and I would recommend against doing so. GTO size rear tires (315/35 20) matched with 599 size fronts or one size larger (if available) is the way to go. Fit the GTO front tires without the GTO suspension and you may end up with pretty pronounced oversteer. Not something to play with on a 600+ hp Ferrari.

11. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Terry - Got it. I already have 255/35-20 fronts and 315/35-20 rears, so if I don't have to buy new 285's, that's a welcome cost avoidance.

My initial concern had to do with the GTO's front rim width (9.5") and the 255's width (10") which results in a ratio of 94%. Normally as far as I'd read years ago, a ratio of 85-90% is preferred. However, different websites I've checked quote varying recommended ideal tire sizes for 9.5" rims - from 255 (Tire Size Calculator) to 285 (Tire Rack and Rim Ringz).

Thanks for your valuable recommendations on various subjects. I appreciate your kind, selfless service.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jose- If you look in the specs section on TireRack's website, it will show manufacturer recommended rim widths for the tires you have. Easiest way to check. For 255/35 20 MPSS or PS4S, the range is 8.5-10", so 9.5" is fine. OEM 245/35 20s have the same range.

13. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Terry,

The 255/35 and 315/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sport combination works very good on the original GTB 20" rim sizes too, although the rims are out of the recommended size (for the fronts).

Daniel

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I've been told by a Ferrari tech that FF wheels work as well

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Real 599 GTO wheels vs F12 take offs ?

Like you said GTO rims are almost impossible to find
    F12 rims not so much.
    GTO rims Belong on a 599.
    Not F12 rims which will soon be "everywhere" when people upgrade to the next big thing.
    Get the GTO front screens and good to go.