Window Cable Tensioner | FerrariChat

Window Cable Tensioner

Discussion in '308/328' started by Mike Florio, Jul 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    #1 Mike Florio, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    The windows in my 1975 308GT4 had become problematical. I cleaned and rebuilt the drive mechanisms (the old grease had the consistency of beeswax), cleaned and lubed the pulleys, sprayed the channels with silicone/teflon dry lube, etc. Still didn’t work well. I replaced the fusebox with one I fabricated using ATO-type fuses. Cleaned up all the connectors, including the ones on the relays. Still not good.

When I restrung the cable the static tensioner was at the limit of its adjustment and the cable seemed loose in some areas, tight in others. Overall it seemed too loose to me. I researched later 308 models (with Pininfarina bodies), and noticed that they retained the cable mechanism for the windows, but at some point they had added a dynamic, spring-loaded tensioner element. The 348 or Mondial (can’t remember) had an even more elaborate dynamic spring tensioner

So I cooked up a simple, easy to fabricate and install dynamic spring tensioner. I looked into sourcing a couple of pulleys (sheaves) and only found one place that had a plastic replacement for $47 each. Off to McMaster-Carr, where I found a slightly smaller nylon pulley with an integral bearing for $11 each.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/1613 Item B, 3/32 cable, 1.5” OD. P/N 3434T15

The mechanism was fabricated out of ¾” x 1/8” aluminum bar stock from the local hardware store and the springs are available here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RFPA8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here’s an image of the pieces. Note that they are assembled as mirror images, and the orientation of the pulleys is critical for alignment.

View attachment 3176427

Attached Files:

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Did this modification solve the slow-window issue for you?

3. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    No, but it stabilizes the cable so it can't slip off of any of the pulleys. I'm waiting for the relay modules I ordered to tackle the electrical issues.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm going to take a guess here but from my experience if the cable is loose you don't have the correct turns of cable on the spool, or the wire is entering and exiting the spool at the wrong area.

waymar likes this.
  5. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Not necessarily. I have seen were the cable has stretched over time due to excessive tension. Or someone has put soo much pressure on the cable trying to eliminate the slack that the tension has broken the pully leaving too much extra cable.