Window doesn’t always go down while opening door | FerrariChat

Window doesn’t always go down while opening door

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by chuvips, Sep 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chuvips

chuvips Rookie

Aug 4, 2020
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Kirill Polinkovsky
    Hello everyone!

Just a month ago I bought a 1999 US-spec 550 Maranello. The car is just fantastic and thank to this community (and info I found here) I managed to fix many issues the car had.

But there’s one annoying issue I couldn’t fix and couldn’t find the solution.

The passenger window doesn’t always go down a little when I open the door. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. No matter which handle I pull (inner or outer), or if the car is started or not. Just 50/50. If I reboot (calibrate) the ECU by pushing the window button up and down for a while, it works fine until I lock and unlock the car again. Then again 3 times yes 5 times no.. Checked all the wires, the microswitch, everything looks fine. Seems like ECU fault that doesn’t depend on anything else but it’s own brain. At driver’s side all works just fine.

Do I have to replace the windows ECU?

Or should I first look somewhere else?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It sounds likely, but considering the cost of a new ECU, I would do everything I could to check everything thoroughly.

e.g. Did you make sure the signals from the inner and outer door microswitches were always present at the ECU. I would make sure you get an earth (ground) at pin C5 on the ECU every time you operate the handles (to exclude an intermittent wiring problem from the door to the ECU).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Can you keep the handle pulled and shake the wiring and door to see if you lose the earth

F456M and 308 GTB like this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    308 GTB likes this.
  4. chuvips

chuvips Rookie

Aug 4, 2020
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Kirill Polinkovsky
    Thank you! I will check. By the way could you tell me where exactly the ECU is located?

5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Congrats on you 550!! Is it so that it is possible to calibrate the windows? Mine always go about 2 cm down when I pull the handle even if the battery have been taken off. On my Jag, the windows goes about 5 inches down after battery cut off. But when i calibrate by holding it for about two seconds at top and bottom position, they become calibrate and then they only lower about one cm. when i pull the handle. It like a bit better than the Ferrari which opens up much more.... Please explain if you know! Thanks, Erik.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #7 Qavion, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    It looks like the earth is inside the ECU. You can check the whole handle microswitch circuit by checking the continuity (resistance) between pins C5 and B15 (blue/black wire) when the handles are moved to the open position.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  9. chuvips

chuvips Rookie

Aug 4, 2020
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name: