Windshield washer check valve needed | FerrariChat

Windshield washer check valve needed

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GaryReed, Dec 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I need a new windshield washer hose "check valve" (pictured below) for my '83 512BBi.

Ferrari UK doesn't even show it in their parts listings and neither of the two F dealers I've talked to show it either. Maybe someone installed it later? Both dealers said they had a gray colored Alfa one that might work...

Anyhow, I was able to take the top off of it and the rubber plunger inside has deteriorated, so the water now flows through it even when the pump isn't on and this causes the cleaner fluid to dribble out the windshield sprayer nozzles when the car is going up/down hills or accelerating hard.

Does anyone recognize it?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Gary: From the 348 Parts Book, item #21, non-return valve, Ferrari part #50332402. Look like the same thing?

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    It's the same thing.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I've never heard of a car dribbling water out of the washer nozzles while driving, except for the old VW's that had the washer bottle pressurized by a hose from the spare tire. The washer check valve on the Ferrari is there to prevent the fluid between the tank and the nozzles from running back into the tank while not in use, so the pump doesn't have to "reprime" the lines, it's always ready for instant action. I don't see how the valve would cause your symptoms. Is it possible that your tank is being pressurized somehow? Does it have a cap with a vent hole on it? Strange problem....

5. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Jeff,

Thanks for your help and taking the time to post the drawing/picture! I ended up going down to FoS yesterday and they had the exact valve (but in gray) that you pictured. It's actually an Alfa part and the parts guy didn't mention it being used on any Ferrari model.
    Someone may have added it to my washer hose later, because none of the Boxer parts books show a check valve ever being used.

The new valve cured the nozzle dribbling problem.

Here's what happened: The old valve was all clogged up and the washer fluid wouldn't go thru it at all. I cleaned it out too good... and it was then free flowing in both directions. The Boxer washer tank sits pretty high on the fender and with it almost filled to the top with fluid, it was causing dribbling out the nozzles because of gravity when going up and down hills, etc... The new check valve will only allow flow towards the windshield when there is lots of pressure from the pump to open it up.