Wines from Costco | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wines from Costco

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by joker57676, Feb 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

You’re beyond the cheapskate range... go to town and get what you like.
    Thought this was about broadening your knowledge on wine, or is this about secret shopping for Costco since you do a fair amount of work for them? Why not just call up their wine folks for info and recommendations?

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I do insurance defense work for our local Costcos (in other words, I defend lawsuits against Costco). I have nothing to do with their business. I think you misunderstood what I meant by work.

And, I buy a bottle of wine maybe once a month, probably less, so I do like to try some of the better stuff they have. That's why I was wondering about what others have had that they liked. I don't like wasting money on something I won't like...and I don't recall saying anything about looking to be a cheapskate.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I sell products to Costco

Without question Costco has the most conscious, involved buyers who are really, really picky about what they buy. Very difficult to sell to and they REALLY know what their customers like and expect.

A very good company. I'm sure their wines are very good and a great value.

5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Got it. Didn't mean to imply the cheapskate ref to you, it was back to me and others who have those tendencies. Your price range is beyond what I as a cheapskate usually buy. Bourbon and Scotch on the other hand I'll spend more on. I can tell a difference between less expensive and more expensive bourbon or scotch. I can't tell a big difference between less and more expensive wines, plus it goes fast per glass so it gets expensive trying to find a good one or one I'd buy again.

6. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I've talked with one of their VPs about their business model. Pretty interesting. Yes, they really focus on specific products, wine or otherwise. They only stock about 4,000 SKUs per store, compared to Walmart that stocks over 100,000 per store.

For value on wines... the savings on one case pays for the membership. Works for me.

7. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    [Keith - do you recommend drinking now, holding for a few years, something else?

T[/QUOTE] There are 10 sub-regions of Beaujolais. The two most age worthy are Morgon and Moulin a Vent. Generally, beaujolais should be consumed within a couple of years of its release. I had a Regnie 2015 imported by Kermit Lynch at Chez Billy Sud in D.C. Sunday night, and I'll bet that wine had 2-3 more years in front of it.

tomc likes this.
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There are 10 sub-regions of Beaujolais. The two most age worthy are Morgon and Moulin a Vent. Generally, beaujolais should be consumed within a couple of years of its release. I had a Regnie 2015 imported by Kermit Lynch at Chez Billy Sud in D.C. Sunday night, and I'll bet that wine had 2-3 more years in front of it.[/QUOTE]

Excellent. Thanks to the knowledge imparted on F-chat, a large part of the French reds we have purchased are from Morgon and Moulin a Vent.
    Went wine shopping @ Costco.

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/kirkland-signature/wines/cotes-du-rhone-villages-2016
    3.6 * = pass (getting picky in our old ages! )

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/chateau-teyssier-montagne-saint-emilion/wines/montagne-saint-emilion-2012
    3.8* = purchase! Was $12 (versus $17 average).

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/ridolfi/wines/brunello-di-montalcino-2010
    4.1* = purchase. Wife chastised me for being a cheap skate, so we bought it at $29 (ave. $35)

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/franz-etz/wines/premium-gruner-veltliner-2015
    3.8* = purchase (I'm guessing we paid $10-11 @ Costco)

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/es-bodegas-abanico/wines/las-gavias-campo-de-borja-garnacha-2014
    3.5* - @ $8 ($10 ave.) couldn't pass it up.
    Couple of the reviews suggested it was a good red for summer, which is relevant given our long hot Texa summers.

T

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Shared a glass of this with the missus, with some Indian inspired chicken, rice and lentils. First Austrian wine we can recall having seen at Costco. Very good. Bit of effervescence. Like it better than most white wines, less than vinho verde.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    T

Gran Drewismo likes this.
  10. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    We picked up a bottle of this last week. I think it was under $15. It was a little "weak" paired with the steak I made, but was pleasantly surprised. In terms of taste, both the wife and I liked it very much.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  12. DJP

DJP Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Costco has a fantastic selection at excellent prices. They really do put effort into selecting quality offerings.

Our table wine is Ridge. Local to Bay Area/Los Gatos area contributes. Price is affordable $30-$80 I think. Let me know what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app