World's Largest Snake Caught !!! Yikes !!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

World's Largest Snake Caught !!! Yikes !!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Kds, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    Yeah, I dont like the idea of feeding dogs to a snake either.

It would be amazing to see that in person. Those pictures and video dont do the snake any justice. It would be tough to move that snake around. 50ft and 1000 lbs of of spread out weight? If it dont wanna move you aint movin it!

2. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I have no idea how you could catch a snake that big unless you have at least twenty people. To be honest this really is a big find as far as animals go. This snake is SIXTEEN FEET AND FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS BIGGER than the previous record. If I remember correctly they had a fifty thousand dollar reward out for one that broke the record. Somebody in Indonesia is getting paid some big bucks for that thing. As far as feeding it dogs go they probably I believe people eat dog as well so to them it's no big deal. If it had to could probably swallow a large moose. If I had the money it would be one hell of a cool pet.

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Instead of feed it dogs we could always feed it Gary Green Err Greenburg Err Gold (Whatever the F#%@ his name is this week) :D

But knowing our luck Gary green would make the snake sick ;)

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

It's interesting to see how many people here have had or still have snakes as pets.

Personally......I cannot be in the same room as one........let alone know there is one in the same house.

On TV right now they have a program on "O Globo" about the Pantanal and they are showing 5 Brasilian commandos holding an 8 metre long Anaconda. That's one guy placed at every five feet of this snake. Eeeeewwww. I cannot imagine something twice the size.

I too was surprised that they are feeding it dogs. I would have thought that they would have fed it live chickens or something less domesticated.

5. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    Here's my 5 year old with his pet python, "Spotty."

He loves snakes! And lizards, spiders, dogs, cats, birds, etc.

I had all manner of semi-exotic animals when I was growing up, snakes, lizards, parrots, etc. What I really wanted as a kid was a rattlesnake - never got one of those (for obvious reasons!).

Anyways, a gen-u-ine 50 foot snake would be quite a remarkable find. I do recall that there is an outstanding "reward" by some organization to anyone who can find a 50 footer. Even the largest dog would be a small meal for a 50 footer. I doubt it would even try to eat a chicken or something that size - too small to handle. A 50 footer could eat a decent sized pony.

6. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    BTW, that snake in the picture doesn't look anywhere near 50 feet long, or 1000 lbs. I am dubious of the claims of Indonesian "local government officials." Doubt the claim will be validated.

I do believe the longest known snakes have also been anacondas, not reticulated pythons.

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Since we are on the subject...

WHISKEY FLATS, Texas -- A man stuffed the tails of nine live rattlesnakes in his mouth, besting his record of eight. "I have to break my own records. Heck, there's nobody else who can do it," said Jackie Bibby. "I think I could do 12 or 13, but probably no more. My mouth is only so big." (11/21/03 AP photo)

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    All i can say is that Mr Bibby is in need of some big time help!!!!!!!

9. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Oops....

World's 'Longest Snake' Comes Up Short

10. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Once I saw the pics I was skeptical myself. As bad a lie as it is, that was one hell of a publicity stunt.:)

11. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    "But the part that really bothers me is that it seems that they are feeding dogs to this beast? That's awful."

I see nothing wrong with that. When I move back to the mainland I plan on buying a Burmese python and feeding it dogs and cats. Dogs, cats, chickens, rabbits, rats or whatever animal you choose is still just an animal. Might as well use them if no one is going to adopt them from animal shelters.

The reticulated python is the longest, the anaconda the heaviest. And the book of world records at a time had a $50k reward for beating the old record, but not sure if it's still offered.

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

This is nothing, less than a week ago in Aswan Egypt I saw my wife hold a live Cobra in her bare hands. She has got some kinda balls!!!

13. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Hahahaha . . . It get's better ! ! ! I just found this on the Discovery website / / /

"According to its captor, the snake was originally 19 meters (62 feet) long, but part of its tail was amputated when a deer carcass was found rotting inside."

http://animal.discovery.com/news/afp/20031229/python.html#

Captured Snake May Be World's Longest

AFP
    Dare to See the Python Up Close!

Dec. 30, 2003 — A primitive zoo in Indonesia is housing a reticulated python that, if its vital statistics are confirmed, will be both the longest and heaviest snake ever captured, a report said Monday.

The reptile measures 14.85 meters (49 feet) and weighs in at 447 kilograms (983 pounds), the Suara Merdeka regional newspaper reported.

The serpent was found in a forest in Jambi on the island of Sumatra. According to its captor, the snake was originally 19 meters (62 feet) long, but part of its tail was amputated when a deer carcass was found rotting inside.

And here is their snake expert giving it a bath . . .

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    While not a licensed herpetologist :), I think the longest are reticulated pythons, but the heaviest and widest girth are anacondas. That's what I understood.

15. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

You are correct. After those two I would say the next in line would be the Burmese then the african rock.

16. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Interesting it was found to be a fraud....but still a big snake nonetheless.

I didn't realize the Anaconda was the heaviest, my respect for Brasilian jungle commando's just went up 100%.