World's ugliest early ferrari? | FerrariChat

World's ugliest early ferrari?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bitzman, Apr 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I have formerly thought the Ferrari "egg" car was ugly, but now think it's beautiful compared to pictures I saw of a British bodied Ferrari by Abbott, who I think usually did British cars including a Bentley Continental that I saw some Hollywood Director (who did "Lolita" ) driving.

Here's a website with pictures, does anyone agree with me that the British coachbuilders should stay away from Ferraris?

COACHBUILD.com

2. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    And here is the best part. If I am correct this body was built for a certain Mike Hawthorn. tongascrew

3. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Shocking.

Mind you some of the Zagatos were just as ugly

4. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Correct,that car is in Sydney,for sale at Classic Throttle Shop,for a reputed several million dollars.
    IanB may know exactly the ask.
    It is now a barchetta in red.

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't know about generally, but for this particular car, an emphatic yes. Usually I can find some aspect of an ugly car that I like, but here I got nothing. At first I thought that it might look better if you took away the two-tone paint, but then I realized that would just make it take slightly longer to reach the same conclusion.

6. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Car just seems very confused. Lots of American styling cues of the time mixed with a bit of Brit and Italian lines as an after thought.

I'd still drive it though. So different and weird that's it's kinda cool b

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Would be fascinating to get in the wayback machine and talk to the designer, and the client.
    What might they have been thinking?
    Need to be more "elegant"?
    Not so "sporting"?
    As noted re Bentley; trying to be discreet?.......the 2-tone kills that idea....
    Interesting weight distribution?
    Although, if viewed in the context of other British designs of the period...............naaaahh.

Ironic twist: is this finally the case where we all agree that a "replica" body is OK? That'll go down hard........;-)

8. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
  9. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Am I alone in feeling sad that the original Abbott body has gone ?

It may be ugly but it was unique. Hawthorne already had a 212 and 250 coupe and he clearly was looking for something different !

Hawthorn lived in the small town of Farnham and ran a garage with his father Leslie there. Abbotts were also in Farnham which explains why Hawthorn took the running chassis to a coachbuilder that was best known for converting Ford Zodiacs into estate cars. Edward Abbott trained at Wolesley Motors so it is not a surprise the car ended up looking as it did.

K

10. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    #10 Sunracer, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    always thought this was a very ugly beast one would have hoped with it's bloodlines it would be something special, sadly it's just 'specially ugly saw it in person some years ago in Monterey at an auction-thought it smelled a bit like a fake. You know how sometimes a car doesn't look so hot in pictures and when you wee it in person you think "well, that's not so bad" well that isn't the case with this mess, it was bad. Bad enough that it immediately came to mind when I saw the title of this post.

Do I win a prize? :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #11 kare, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    The reconstructed Abarth is SO wrong in SO many aspects that it makes me want to cry. It would have been SO much wiser to restore the 1954 Scaglietti body!

12. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yes, you are alone :)

Actually, probably many feel that way, but this may be a rare example where even some of the die-hards don't oppose a rebody. It would be great if the OP could add a poll to see what the opinions are.

When I look at this car, I view the "masterpiece" as the engine and chassis. In art, it isn't uncommon to discover great masterpieces that have been painted over, and in those cases, it is often deemed appropriate to expose the masterpiece (even though the surface paintings probably also tend to be historically significant). Maybe some elements of that school of thought can apply to this car, although there is the not very minor detail that exposing the masterpiece in this case requires fabricating a body.

If I owned it with the original body, I don't think I could convince myself to change it, but I'm happy that someone else did. This car, in it's present rebodied form, is sort of like eating steak for me -- I don't really want to think about how it got there, but I'm quite happy with it nonetheless.

13. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    in terms of ugly, s/n 7979GT, the Drogo 330, is no picnic either.

14. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
  15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
  16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #16 Smiles, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Not anymore, it is back as a beautiful 250 SWB California!

A new body was made and fitted in Italy over the last 8 months, the complete restoration is almost complete. I was standing under it yesterday as the guys at Joe Macari's had it on a ramp rebuilding the suspension.

i will get some pictures and post.

Also the ugly body has also been restored and mounted on a frame - it is stored with the new owners car collection.

cheers
    Mark

18. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Heaven be praised. The old body was straight off a TR7

19. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    ha ha thats exactly what i use to call it!

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That's excellent news!

Thank you for that, Mark.

Although I think it reveals a double standard. The new body is as much a replica as any GTO or TR recreation on a shortened GTE frame. Although I'm very glad the owner chose to do it, and to preserve the Zagato body for posterity. I remember seeing it in person in the late 1980s.

Please do post pics!

Matt

21. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Oh absolutely agree! This was a terrific piece of history and a wonderful story! Now I don't think that this is a car where a Fred Simeone would fall on his sword to protect as 'important,' but as a neat, sidebar story to the 212 Epic tale, I think it's a shame it's been forced to conform to today's consensus of the 'appropriate' look, ie, identical to its contemporaries...

22. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    God that Abbott body was awful; '52 Chev meets George Barris...

23. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Fair comment Peter but there is a flaw in your argument. At the time Ferrari were supplying their "masterpiece" to a number of coach builders to fit a body. Hawthorn chose to give this one to Abbott and I agree that the end result was not worthy of the marque. However, a period body becomes an integral part of the masterpiece and whether or not we like the end result is simply a matter of subjective taste. How can we justify erasing a cars history simply on the basis of taste ?

I am sure the majority would say a SWB is far better looking then the breadvan but I hope this will never be the justification to break out the hacksaw.

OP a great idea

24. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
  25. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's kind of a flaw in my logic by design -- I know the right thing to do is to keep it. I agree with keeping the original (correct) body in every instance ... except this one. I just can't stand to look at it. Thinking about it some more, I think what was done to the Zagato is the solution here. Rebody it, but preserve the original for display (or loan it to a Ripley's Believe It or Not). Still not the right thing to do of course, but maybe a palatable happy medium and it's reversible (with considerable effort).