worst color combo ever | FerrariChat

worst color combo ever

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by noahlh, Jan 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    #1 noahlh, Jan 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    I dont know, have you seen a white mondial/308 with pink/red interior..ewww.

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yeah, there's a whole thread on that car's colors... maybe two-three weeks old... go there if you're interested in others' thoughts.

Advice to future Ferrari owners:

Don't assume that if Ferrari has X colored carpet and X colored leather that they are the same color or even intended to go together. This is a case of two different greens, that could each work on their own, but should not be anywhere near each other.

Reds can be even worse... put an orangey red with a candy apple red and it will be hideous.

Do NOT assume Ferrari worked this issue out for you!

Of course, some are more tolerant of such color mismatches than others. For example, I consider Ferrari's red leather to be a borderline match with Rossa Corsa, but a complete mismatch with Rosso Scuderia. Similarly, I wouldn't get "red calipers" with Rosso Scuderia either. But there's a lot of people who have seen Rosso Scuderia with red calipers and red interior... and then order exactly that for their own car... so, opinions on colors vary (and of course, a lot of the population is red and/or green blind... so, they may not even realize what they're looking at).

Slightly more subtle, the yellow in the fender shields is a bit of a mismatch with the standard yellow exterior paint. Its okay (not a clash), but definitely not ideal. I know some who'd never want those together... but there's a ton of yellow 360's with shields.

4. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario

5. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I agree that the black of the tire and the silver of the wheel provides some separation... and I'll agree that the red calipers are not exactly Rosso Corsa either. However, the orange-level of the two is similar (low-orange); the same cannot be said of Rosso Scuderia. To my eyes, reds with different orange levels don't look good together... even separated by some black and silver.

Now the question is: how sensitive are you to color mismatches? As I said, some think red calipers look great with Rosso Scuderia. I wouldn't even order red calipers with Rosso Corsa... but that's just me.

6. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    The yellow/red 360 at FONE...OMG, so terrible, also, I saw a green one with red interior once, think it was a 348 maybe...on a happier note, I thought I would hate it, but I actually kind of like the dark blue (sera I believe) over bordeaux....

7. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    When I was living in San Francisco, someone ( Ronald Mc Donald?) was running around in a candy apple orange Testarosa with blue and yellow striped interior. Barf!

8. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Now you've got me thinking. I've ordered my scuderia red stradale with red calipers, but I didn't think of the possible color mismatch. I wonder if it there might then be a mismatch. Have you actually seen this combination in the flesh?
    Furthermore, even though I know it may sound stupid, I haven't even seen the scuderia red in the flesh on a stradale before. Has anyone seen this colour in person? What did you think of it? I thought that for a stradale it seemed appropriate. Maybe that was stupid although I believe I still have time to change order.

9. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    That interior is just nasty...uggh. :(

10. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Lots of us have seen Rosso Scuderia in the flesh... and I am sure many with the red calipers as it is popular. If they are paying attention to this thread, I am sure you'll get many answers, including some who think it is *the* color combo to have.

Personally, I am not big on orangey reds. And I am very averse to mismatched reds. That's just me. However, the mismatch with the red calipers is mild compared to the mismatch with the brick red alcantara. If I ordered Rosso Scuderia, I'd stick either stick with the black calipers or try to get yellow ones... and I'd go with either tan or black seats... or maybe tan and black.

But actually its the Rosso Fiorano, or even better the Rosso used on the Maseratis... uhhh... I forget the name... Rosso Mugello or Rosso some M-place in Italy??? That Maserati deep red would match the red alcantara awesomely. However, if I did that, then I'd have to sell my 911 ... my wife couldn't tolerate having two cars almost exactly the same color.

But that's just me... plenty of others will think I'm loony.

Do what looks best to *you* ...

11. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    Some guys just don't know what to do with their money.

12. mweddle

mweddle Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    "matching Ferrari Scaglietti luggage (3-piece)"

But hey, at least it's got the green matching luggage.

And it's got a tubi, to go with the loud interior color I guess?

Exterior is wonderful in silver though.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Is that really a factory option or a really really expensive custom job?

14. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    This is fashion forward

15. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I would not mind Bordeaux if only comes with black carpet and black dashboard.

The resell value must have dropped though

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    buy cheap and dye it all black..... hee hee ...... drive it!!!

17. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I hate green in or on any car.But I do like the red interiors.

18. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    The combo on our 996 is silver/green, its not so bad once you get used to it.

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Red Interiors are for Chinese Restaurants.

Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety.

Dark green is commonly associated with money and is also associated with ambition, greed, and jealousy.
    Olive green is the traditional color of peace.

Incidentally, mixtures of the above pair or the bottom pair induce nausea.

Yellow-green can indicate sickness, cowardice, discord, and jealousy. (Ring a bell?)
    Aqua is associated with emotional healing and protection.

I'll have the #2 Combo Plate, to go.

20. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Stradman: the scuderia red stradale with red calipers does not look bad as you are looking at the car not the calipers. when you do see the calipers you dont notice the color difference.

in the auto industry their study of color is that men will buy red cars with more orange in them and red with less orange or a deaper red are for woman. 999 times out of a thousand men picked the red/orange (scuderia) color and same for woman picking the more blood red car. I like either on the 360

21. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    That's utter BS.
    You couldn't get that much of a pattern red vs. white, let alone two shades of red.

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    That car is factory. The leather is quite pretty, but the carpet is wrong shade, needs to match or be darker. Black over Green, Silver over green are very pretty when you don't have shade mismatch.

That Red 360 with grey/green sportseats and quilting IS the ugliest. Vile. Santa on crack must have ordered that...instant 40% resale hit.
    :p

23. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Brian you take everything so literally. lighten up !!!
    is it 999? Dah.
    its meant for purpose of illustration. I'll type slowly for you, studies have shown that most men will pick an orangy red and woman will pick a deeper red red, (blood red) why? its obvious, the orange red is more aggresive. if you dont get it now dont bother to reply.

24. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I actually like this color combo. For the most part anything goes with
    silver.

25. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Please forgive me if I don't put much credibility in an unsupported conclusion that claims to be based on scientific studies that are not referenced, especially when every statement leading up to the conclusion was spewing bogus statistics. Unless you'd like to reference some actual studies, I think I'll stick with my experience which says most guys I know prefer reds to red-oranges.