Would you buy a car from?..... | FerrariChat

Would you buy a car from?.....

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by JBeutler, Aug 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JBeutler

JBeutler Rookie

Aug 4, 2004
    Camano Island WA
    Full Name:
    Jon Beutler Jr
    I was speaking with Park Place motors today about an open sales position. I spoke with this sales manager who was brand new (first day was today!) and I got -what I felt- was a horrible reaction from him. My question for you all is: Would you feel comfortable purchasing a high end car from a younger person such as myself? I have sold cars before (for the past year), I am 20 years old and owned something like 12 of my own since I was 15. Anyhow, I was very put off by this sales manager's conduct when he saw me. I understand that I should shrug it off and be the better man out of the situation, and I am working on doing that. But really, I would think the purchase would be based on the sales person knowing what they are dealing with, being respectful, and selling them the right car! Anyhow... I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks!

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Curious, how many cars (deals) have you closed in the past year? Where have you worked? What dealerships. What were your largest (best) sales month, in units and dollars? What you need is verifiable (documented) sucessful track history and referrences. The fact that you have bought and owned a number of cars for yourself is meaningless. That says nothing about you being able to sell a car to someone else.

Move on, there are plenty of dealerships looking for motivated, success driven individuals. Polish up the resume, make up some cover letters, and hit the streets. Have a firm handshake, a ready smile, and be confident!

Personally, I am disgusted that you were treated that way. I have hired sales people, and even when someone was completely not a proper fit; I tried to "coach" them on what areas they needed or experience needed to make a better fit for the future. Blowing people off is completely unprofessional. I interviewed with a Johnson &Johnson company and the division manager acted very uninterested in my interview...I was pissed. Four years later I had worked my way up another J&J company and was now the division manager for the west coast, and showing up at the same manager meetings that dweeb was.... Hah! ;)

3. JBeutler

JBeutler Rookie

Aug 4, 2004
    Camano Island WA
    Full Name:
    Jon Beutler Jr
    Dave, I appreciate what you have said. I don't claim to be any sort of great salesman by any means. I didn't ever sell as many cars as I wanted... and don't feel like I should even begin to describe any excuses why that is. I have often had my managers tell me that I should have been selling more cars per month then I was. Put it this way, when I was selling eight cars per month my managers said that I was capable of eighteen. Anyhow... I don't know if car sales is for me, but I know it pays the bills, and its something I know how to do. I figured I know my cars, namely performance cars, and prefered to work for a dealership that I enjoy the product of. But truly thanks again.... I appreciate any responses. I could have very well over-reacted to this gentleman's approach to me as well! Oh, and as a side note... thats not the only dealership I am interviewing and speaking with. Thanks again.

4. JBeutler

JBeutler Rookie

Aug 4, 2004
    Camano Island WA
    Full Name:
    Jon Beutler Jr
    Dave, I appreciate what you have said. I don't claim to be any sort of great salesman by any means. I didn't ever sell as many cars as I wanted... and don't feel like I should even begin to describe any excuses why that is. I have often had my managers tell me that I should have been selling more cars per month then I was. Put it this way, when I was selling eight cars per month my managers said that I was capable of eighteen. Anyhow... I don't know if car sales is for me, but I know it pays the bills, and its something I know how to do. I figured I know my cars, namely performance cars, and prefered to work for a dealership that I enjoy the product of. But truly thanks again.... I appreciate any responses. I could have very well over-reacted to this gentleman's approach to me as well! Oh, and as a side note... thats not the only dealership I am interviewing and speaking with. Thanks again.

5. jh355

jh355 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Halluci-Nation
    Full Name:
    Craven Morehead
    JBeutler

Keep in mind if it was the managers first day, he was probably still trying to figure out where he fit’s in, and was too busy to give you a fair interview. No excuse still.

On another note, at the high end dealerships, your sales volume will be much less and commission sales people tend to starve between sales. You may go two or three weeks between sales, kind of tough for a new younger person entering the profession.

If high end cars are where your heart is at, try working at a high volume dealership for a year, save all you can then give the exotics a try. It may just be the start needed to hold you over during the dry times.

6. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL

You show em Dave. People like that piss me off!!

7. JBeutler

JBeutler Rookie

Aug 4, 2004
    Camano Island WA
    Full Name:
    Jon Beutler Jr
    JH, thanks for your words... I actually did work for the past year in the highest volume Dodge dealership in WA state. And thought I didn't save that much, I did save a little, but used that money to move to Hawaii which lasted one month! 250$ a week for a shared bathroom/kitchen one room place gets really expensive when you aren't selling any cars! But, thanks again... I don't necessarily want to sell cars my whole life by any means, I just want to get a feel for a high end dealership (I worked for Acura, but I mean HIGH END not high end) because I have a desire to own my own dealership similar to Park Place someday. Anyhow, have a good one, thanks again!
    JB