Would you watch "F1" without Ferrari? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Would you watch "F1" without Ferrari?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, May 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Would you still follow "F1" if Ferrari pulled out?

1. Yep - Makes no difference to me, I love F1 regardless

2. I guess I'd tune in on occasion

3. Screw that - I'd be done with the whole thing!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Which cars have more advanced technology than F1 in your opinion?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Tru-da-tru-da.

DTM holds that title in my opinion.

3. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I'll probably pop in-out, but w/ a lot less attention & fun.

4. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    If the Ferrarichat F1 forum fans are only split by 1/3 each (at about 240 that's statistically projectable) I think F1 will be fine. The key is for other teams to be emboldened by this, move out and start a separate series. I'd hate for there to be an Indy/CART situation but I think Ecclestone and Mosley don't have a chance if the big brands with the big bucks move on.

Just in simple marketing terms, sponsors have to go where the eyeballs are. Even if it's branded "F1", I don't think those eyes would be interested in a lower-budget, two-tier series of (relatively) "no-name" teams if an alternative existed.

A higher-tech, cutting-edge series of Ferrari, BMW, Toyota, Red Bull and others being driven by top talent would be...well, I wouldn't dare miss it!

5. Armenhaz

Armenhaz Karting

Nov 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Simply NO RED CAR, NO F1...Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    Wow, the results are split into thirds. I would tune-in every once in a while but I agree that if Ferrari left, the whole championship would fall apart.

7. black label

black label Karting

Aug 20, 2007
    Fareham England
    Full Name:
    Eric Hayto
    Are we not doing it already !!!!!

8. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #83 355, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
    It's hard to watch the BS that is going on now. The last honest World Championship was won in 2006 by Michael. Since then the idiots have been allowed to manipulated things all in the interest of making money NOT in the interest of the sport. We all know the fiasco that lead up to the joke win by Kimi in 2007. That championship was gifted to Ferrari because of what went on with the McCheating team. Last season Ferrari sold out and we all saw what happened. This is a fact and dont ask me to tell you how I know.
    The teams and the idiots that run F1 are so embroiled that it is very similar to when there were Mafia family wars in New York City. Dont be surprised if Ferrari pull out all together along with some other team(s). Some teams want to get on with "REAL" racing while a few like the idea of a very controled menu. The controled menu is a joke because It no longer allows the best technology to make its way to the forefront of what once was the pinacle of motor sport. I said almost 2 years ago that F1 will errode and fade away.........now all we have to do is watch how it happens. The sooner it happens the better because only then will we see another series that will mirror what F1 once was a long time ago. The other tuff part will be the 1 or 2 blank seasons inbetween.

9. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
  10. canam350

canam350 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2004
    dublin, ireland
    hi
    i think if ferrari gives up, it would kill of f1,without ferrari half of the grandstands at gps would be empty,
    and uncle bernie would not like that,i am a ferrari fan i hope they dont quit.

11. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Then FOTA could rebuild the original Grand Prix racing series and bring back the US GP at The Glenn, Road America, Mosport, etc, etc.

12. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    I'd watch on occation just to see whats up, but without Ferrari it would not be too often. BUT if there was a USA F1 team, that would be a different story!!!!!!! I may watch it even more than I do now!

Cheers!

13. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not intrested w/o Ferrari. My intrest started to decline after Shumi retired.

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    If you watched F1 before Michael Schumacher then you already HAVE watched F1 without Ferrari.

15. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    The OP missed a choice:

"Nope - Makes no difference to me, I have no love for F1 regardless."

Yep. There are people out there who have <0 interest in F1 and own Ferraris. I am one of them.

I only tune-in to F1 when: a) the shopping network is running reruns or, b) my FIL has F1 tuned-in.

16. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    So why have you 'tuned in' to the F1 section of FerrariChat?

17. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK, Maybe I should have preceded the question with: "If you currently watch....."

Having said that, this is an F1 forum - Whatcha doin' here? :)

However, I reckon we've got a reasonable # of votes, and has been said, I'm amazed at the closeness - Particularly on this board. I'm also a little surprised at the apparent support for 'em going sports car racing instead. Personally, I voted that I'd be done with it, but I'm not sure how diligently I'd follow 'em in sports cars....

Cheers,
    Ian

18. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I'd love to watch them in sports cars, but not with today's sportscar championships (or the lack thereof). If we had a real sportscar series with big names (manufacturers as well as drivers) and a real WDC I'd love to watch it. But I don't think the sports car racing of the 60s and 70s will come back soon, if ever... and a works Ferrari competing in today's GT1 or GT2 (LMP1 is out because of the Diesels) just wouldn't do it for me.

19. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 on both points. Even if they could get the rules changed in LMP1 there's still no "real" WSCC as in (many) years past.

OTOH, if "they" could put one together could you imagine the performance!? No sticking-out-wheels messing with the aero....

OTOOH (?) - No sticking out wheels = enhanced taxi cab racing..... ;)

IMHO,
    Cheers,
    Ian
    EDIT: As we all know, NASCAR is non-enhanced taxi cab racing :D

20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #95 tifosi12, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
    DTM is technologically more advanced than F1?

Well, I did a little digging and here my findings:

- spec gearboxes and transmissions
    - engines limited to 4liters, producing about 500 hp
    - spec tire
    - only German manufacturers
    - weight penalties for leading teams

F1 2009 in comparison has:
    - individual transmissions
    - engines almost half the size producing almost twice the hp
    - spec tire
    - open to any manufacturer
    - no penalties

So how is DTM technically more advanced?

Aside from the fact that a bunch of Hans-Dieters and Detlefs are racing in it. :)

21. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.

"What am I doing here if I do not like F1?" Fair question. I may say a few things here that may anger some, but really that is not the intent. I am just bringing in an outsider's view, you know, butting-in where I perhaps do not belong. :D

The OP's question/pole caught my eye. Yes, I know alittle about the history of "Ferrari and F1," or is it "F1 and Ferrari?" :( I always get those confused. Sorry.

Both were built leaning on each other, but many here believe that one cannot exist without the other. Nah. Both could easily survive without the other.

F1 tossed its "sport" status some years back and became a "business." In so doing, it tossed "the history" angle along with it (IMHO). Then all the Mickey Mouse that has plagued "the business" for the past few years. Jeepers. Honestly, how could anyone really watch this stuff? How could anyone REALLY care? Will the sun raise in the West or will your Quality of Life go up or down if Team so-and-so wins/loses this weekend? Will my 308 lose another 5$K in resale value if Ferrari pulls out of F1? Doubt it, so I really do not understand. Crap like what F1 has turned into, is why I turned off Pro "Business" (Sports) about 20 years ago. I watch almost ZERO.

Ferrari is a bigger brand world-wide than F1. It has no need of F1 to survive and thrive. Of course if it continues down it current road car offering path, I think it will see real trouble in the future but that is a different story. Its future is soley in ITS HANDS.

F1 has nothing it can do to really hurt Ferrari and little it can do to help at this stage. Ferrari can only hurt itself by sticking around that .... [if you cannot say something nice ......] that is F1. Ferrari has eclipsed the weekend/weekday soap that has become F1. The two are no longer connected except for nastalgia's sake. Nothing more.

If you like F1; watch it. If you like Ferrari; buy one. But do yourself a favor and forget the (ancient) connection. The two businesses certainly have.

Lastly, if you guys want to "fix" your old "Sport of F1" may I suggest you stop TARPing it with or without Ferrari, turn it off and as the "business" dies, the "Sport" can be rebuilt.

Who knows, if in F1 they re-learn how to pass and start really racing again, I might even become a future fan. ;)

22. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm not watching already.

F1 has long been screwed, it hasn't been the pinnacle of anything more than chauvinism and parochialism for years.

23. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    What I find most irritating about DTM is that they have amazingly engineered, purpose-built cars and do their very best to keep up the illusion they'd be racing modified production cars. There isn't a single part the DTM Mercedes shares with its street counterpart, yet the manufacturers try to make people believe the contrary. Weird!!

24. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If Ferrari leaves, so do I. And no, my decision has nothing to do with Ferrari's current standing. It's the whole F1 political/money/ego mess - the Max and Bernie show. I want to watch a fair race, a race at the highest level. If Ferrari leaves because of the two tier ruling I support them. But one shouldn't think that they are leaving just because of the 2010 rules, I'm sure they are sick of the whole mess that F1 has become. And yes, Ferrari has a role in making F1 messes too.... But that's another story.

25. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I've quit watching already. It's become a spec. series thanks to M & B.
    I hope Ferrari does pull out. They could make a go at endurance racing again.