WTB: DeTomaso Mangusta | Page 3 | FerrariChat

WTB: DeTomaso Mangusta

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by italcarguy, May 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patricko

patricko Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick O'Neill
    #51 patricko, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks.

He is the third owner and has had it about 5 years and the previous owner is a good friend of his and owned it since the early 70s.

It spent many years in a museum and that is one of the reasons that it is in this condition.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP likes this.
  2. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    :eek: NO, NO, NO... the larger wheels look all wrong. Stick to what you've got or don't go any larger than 17". Otherwise the car doesn't look right, IMO. The ride height is all screwed up with anything larger and they look comical.

I know that's not the 'hip' opinion but that's the way I see it. I apologize if I've offended anyone’s tastes.

3. fastmerc

fastmerc Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    #53 fastmerc, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
    OK, this "may be" a 16K mile car, but it isn't totally original IMHO, and I'm only going off of the pic's.... Unless this is a late car, and I don't know the chassis number, and I cannot see a single detail under the rear deck or the front hood, the rear view mirrors are not original on anything that I have seen, nor have I ever seen the small chrome growths out of the tops of the front fenders.....that location is closer to where the totally non-functional mirrors were mounted.....when they came from the factory.

Tire sizes appear wrong for stock from what I can see, and ride height looks off. Would like to see pic's of the shocks, and the bottom of the bellhousing and oil pan.....passenger seat bottom looks amiss....

My car would have looked similar, except for a med metallic blue outer sheen.

Very attractive looking car!!!

I know if at least one <7K mile car that IS a museum piece, along with a great story! Original owner.... But, because it doesn't get driven, it is looking less than crisp around the edges. I drive my car, it looks rough around the edges.....
    fastmerc
    Gooser "I'll let the next guy worry about restoring it after I'm gone.... I'm too busy helping other guys get their cars running...."

4. What is the chrome on the front fenders? Turn signal indicators off of a old Chrysler? (Jokingly I thought first they were those JC Whitney things to scare deer :))

5. patricko

patricko Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick O'Neill
    #55 patricko, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
    It is chassis number 646

It is the only Mangusta that I am familiar with so I am not sure on the small details. The passenger seat is perfect so it could just be a strange angle on the pic.

I am going to take a bunch of new pictures when I get a chance.

Thanks,

Patrick

6. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark

7. fastmerc

fastmerc Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    opus,

"saved" is a relative term.......perhaps more like delayed it's demise.....

IIRC, the story goes that Maseratti was in the crapper, doors were closed or about to be closed, "national travesty"...(everything in Italy is a national travesty....) and DeTomaso came in and bought the co. out of receivership or whatever it's called from the Gov't for pennies on the dollar, with a promise to keep building cars and preserve jobs. He came out smelling like a rose as the company shortly released a couple of cars that sold fairly well and appeared to bounce the company back.... I can't remember how the story goes after that.... he probably sold the company and made a pile of cash....

Alejandro was a man that wanted to race, but couldn't, so he built cars. He was a "son of a *****" to work for or to deal with when you listen to guys that have worked with or for him when they speak. He screwed everyone equally it would seem..... but no one can deny that he was a shrewd businessman.

fastmerc

8. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    That Hyman car was black the last time it was posted...I'm pretty sure it was the same car

9. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Hyman has had two cars for sale recently. They had a 69, it may have been black but I don't think so, that went to Europe. They told me that this 1971 was already sold for 105, but then I saw it not sell on ebay last week or so, and it topped out below 70K, very close to 60 iirc.

I think the 1970 US models with the hideaway lights are much less desirable, especially for a collector, and of course especially in Europe, who seem to be buying a lot of the Mangustas lately.

By the way, I am very familiar with your car, and I must say I really like it.

Jay

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    #62 carsinxs, Aug 15, 2008
    OK OK, will take more pics Sat and post. Maybe not be the most orig (missing JCW whistlers-haha).
    But has to be the most perfect "over-restored" GOOSE on the planet 186 mi

Peoples choice award at Pebble beach in '95. Only Mangusta let alone Pantera to ever receive this title...

Simply perfect

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    hurry with those photos! :)

13. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    You want GOOSE or Pantera pics?

14. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    How about both. I love both of these designs. Along with the Bora, 3 of my favorites, maybe 3 of the best of all times.

15. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    #66 carsinxs, Sep 17, 2008
    Here's one of my ex-BORA. euro version fly over black. Sadly sold it 2 years ago. I always thought the BORA and the Mangusta had very similar lines...

jamesdouglas1436 and NEP like this.
  16. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    +1

both please for the same reasons he gave...LOVE them both!

17. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I felt like 10 years was sufficient for revival :)

What is the general consensus these days on a Mangusta? I have moderate curiosity in a 1969, it's red, been sitting for awhile, but is clean with no rust. Are these cars going up in value, or stagnant at the moment? I see three went through auction (per Hammer Price app, maybe there are more?) but don't have a good idea of what's actually sold. Are drivers 250K cars? 300K cars? 350K cars? I see 401 made in total, but in those ranges, wouldn't guys swing for something else?

Any ideas on the current market, greatly appreciated.

18. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My knowledge of a few cars sold privately within the last year or so is that solid "drivers" are in the medium-high 200's. I think the best cars are still in the low 300's, but it seems to me that most collector cars have pulled back a bit on price in the last couple of years. I'd love to know what the future holds but as there probably are only around 250—275 Mangustas remaining, it's a small group that owns them, and rarity is always a good thing.

19. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Interesting. I was offered a long sitting project, but it seems like a "flip" and they want $250K...I have a large issue with the smugness, not the flip, that follows the greediness in deals like this. Usually I just say "**** you"

20. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    jamesdouglas1436, NEP and Mang like this.
  21. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    This is easily one of my favorite photos ever seen on this site. GREAT capture of the Mangusta stellar styling.