X Prize has been WON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

X Prize has been WON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by WILLIAM H, Oct 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    400,000ft is nowhere near where the shuttle orbits. Also, theresno way to avoid the high reentry speeds because the craft will have to go that fast to stay in orbit. Im using numbers that arent correct, but they make a good example. Every 8000 meters the curvature of the earth drops off 4 meters. this means that anything in orbit needs to travel 8000 meters in the time it takes to fall 4 meters. If sometihng doesnt go this fast it will fall back to earth. I kay be mistaken, but i think the shuttle reenters by turning around and firing its engines, which slows it down so it falls. How does rutan plan on doing it?
    Is the $1000 per pound number an official number? It sounds awfully cheap. Finally, what rutan is building is for tourists. It wont have things like the shuttle's robotic arm (which isnt cheap) and all the other equipment that the shuttle has that we dont even know about.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think the SS2 will be taking people up at about $500 per # to around 400,000 ft, which isnt orbit but it is officially in "space". Building a spacecraft for tourists is exactly what we need to open up space travel/industry so people can get put there see thats its for real & not just sci fi & get new ideas for new industries in space. SS1 was a first step but a very important 1st step. As the Chinese say"A journey of 1,000 miles begins with the first step"

I read about Rutans plans for the much larger SS3 but I cant really remember all the details, I'll have to find it again. I am pretty sure that Rutan wants to stay away from the shuttles high entry speed.

Nothing like the SS1's feather has ever been tried before & it worked like a charm