Y, do I like to watch Mary Poppins, and sing chim chimney chim chim - charoo ? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Y, do I like to watch Mary Poppins, and sing chim chimney chim chim - charoo ?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by ApexOversteer, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Joe,

I'm taking this to PMs with you.

Dave

2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #227 Shamile, Nov 27, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
    Dear Lamborghinisti,

Oh oh.....since this thread is going to close soon......I better put my post in and not be left out.

OK....did it !

Thank you

What?!?!?....nothing to say?

OK, I wonder who will have the last possible word on this thread?

My bet.......Joe Sackey! :)

Sorry Joe....couldn't resist. :)

Hmm.....I wonder if this thread beat the "buying a Gallardo on a bunch of credit cards" thread in length?

Ok, ok....gotta say it.

I too don't like the thread titles being changed. The written word is a form of art. By changing someones words is like taking away their freedom of speech and expression. A feeling, thought or point of view may be well placed in the title itself...including all caps, font etc. If the thread title is "over the top"....the board itself will either support or shun the writer.

Standards of decency should be enforced but....expressions ?

All said....without bashing anyone. :)

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #228 2NA, Nov 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Meh. Close it. I've said what I'm going to say here, Ralf has said... well, nothing really, Rob has said his piece, Joe had his go... we've all said what we wanted to say and though I have more to say, many of you know where I'm saying it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Give thanks, eat far too much, revel in the love of your family, and enjoy your after dinner naps.

5. Greg Z

Greg Z Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gregory L. Zelinski
    I just can't understand how anyone can disagree with this yet here we are. Mods ignoring the situation and wanting to take it to PM's because they know they are in the wrong and refuse to admit it.

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

This mod has taken a couple of messages to PM in an effort to maintain some level of decorum, and to avoid putting a member on the spot in public.

Nothing more or less.

Dave M.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've never made a huge deal about changing thread titles because it would require me to understand the thread 100% and it requires a ton of work.

Now that said the thread title does not belong to the person that started the thread, yes they are the first post and first thread title that 99.99% of the time doesn't change. The entire purpose of a thread title is to efficiently communicate the topic and contents of the posts. The original creator may have been in a hurry or just did a bad job naming the thread. Over time the thread may also change and that would lend itself to a title change too. The thread and title belong to the community and each participant in the thread, only each post belongs to that user.

8. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Wanna post before it closes :D

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #234 2NA, Nov 27, 2008
    This whole matter has been a colossal disappointment to me.

Rob, the titles (and all other content once submitted) belong to no one but you. We are granted access purely at your discretion.

There is no argument that some titles need changing for various reasons.

It is reasonable for a Moderator to do this at their discretion, good judgment should be applied.

This wasn't the case here, the consensus among the users seems clear.

If the intent was even partially to minimize drama it failed.

No established rules were broken, yet everyone goes away pissed off.

If things had been left as they were (or some reasonable alternative) we wouldn't be doing this.

What are we missing here?

What is this need to truncate titles down to as few words as possible about? The "Search" function depends on keywords to achieve results. It seems that more descriptive words in a title, not less are better there.

I doubt that closing discussion will make everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

10. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    What a bunch of BS. The original creator of the thread is the who titled it. Even if they were in a hurry, or did a bad job (ACCORDING TO WHO???) a mod shouldn't change it because the mod DOESN'T KNOW what was in the original creator's thoughts when the thread was created. If the thread title is to be changed, only the creator should be able to do it - as it was their idea to create it.

Go start changing titles in the Ferrari sections...

11. Greg Z

Greg Z Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gregory L. Zelinski
    Maybe this is the answer. Seriously. If the title is not fitting in the Mods eyes then why not send the OP a PM to change it to something more fitting. If the OP is not a regular user then maybe have a pre-determined set amount of time that one would have after they receive the PM, if they don't change it the Mod has a green light.

12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

THAT IS AN EXCELLENT SUGGESTION!!!

As long as it's possible, that is what I will do going forward.

Pop a PM, no response in a reasonable time, then out she goes, new title in. Doesn't matter noob or long term guy, at least not in my book.

With the exception of the usual stuff. You know, titles that violate the TOU or TOS, and/or the rules,

dave

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I doubt there is anything any moderator could do at this point to satisfy you. Would you like all the titles changed back? "Sure, that'd be good."

Would you like to be able to post whatever the hell you feel like? "Sure, that would be even better."

How about if the moderators bugger off completely? "WOW, that would be best."

UNTIL someone posts something YOU don't like. Or Joe doesn't like, or Greg, or whoever. Then, we'd get the PMs and the "!" and all that other stuff that some here refer to as whining when it disagrees with THEIR point of view.

This is a no win. There's nothing at this point that will make you guys less unhappy. It's just not going to happen. There is no perfect solution. I think we've listened to your points, I hope some of you have listened to ours.

I've tried to keep my responses civil to all of you guys, mostly I think you've done the same. There are always some exceptions, of course.

Now I'm off to the in-laws, gonna enjoy some turkey and conversation.

Peace boys,

Dave

14. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Please remember that members can only edit their posts and subsequently their titles for a short time. Mods requesting new titles may have to get the new title from the member in PM and make the change themselves.

15. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    I was going to suggest something like that in my previous post, but didn't as it just opens the door for the same **** to happen. Why should someone HAVE to change their title? That would still force a change even if the OP didn't want it changed.

16. Greg Z

Greg Z Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gregory L. Zelinski
    True, but it is a compromise thats ends in a agreed upon result. At least this way the OP can re-word it in HIS OWN way.

17. pdisme

pdisme Formula 3

Oct 9, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The title of this thread seems to have gotten quite long.

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    There are a lot of Miura threads.

There are a lot of Countach threads.

Though perhaps in vain, retitling BROADWAY BILLBOARD titles served two functions:

First and foremost was to shine a light upon numerous other, not dissimilar threads.
    The Original Author of the retitled threads constantly trains a spotlight on "his own" threads, so, logic dictated his name be up in lights, as part of title.

Let the Bonfire of the Vanities resume.

19. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I am searching....

20. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Believe it or not, this isn't about Joe (at least from my perspective). I simply object to change with no apparent benefit (the title of this thread has been changed twice, WTF!).

21. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    #246 ApexOversteer, Nov 27, 2008
    Does it surprise you that a moderator a week late to the party comes in to take a shot at a member, and then contradict much of what Rob and dm have said about titles belonging "to the community and not a single member" and then leave, belittling the concerns of members one more before they go?

I've been hearing so much blame placed on "a few members" who "can't resist creating drama". Every single moderator I have come into contact with over this has immediately pointed the finger at, from what I can tell, is 3 or 4 members at most and more likely 1. Are they right? I don't know. I'm at the end of my second year as a "speaking" member. I've seen quite a bit of drama. But I will tell you something right now, I have yet to see drama without a moderator flying somewhere near the eye of the storm, taking barometric measurements and photos. More than once, and more often lately, I've seen moderators engaging in behavior unbecoming a moderator. The above post by wax being a fresh and particularly obvious example. Am I actually supposed to turn to these people with a question, complaint or issue with another member?.

22. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    So where's the moderator that initiated this whole fire storm? Why do Rob and another moderator feel compelled to speak for him? For for art thou? Come forth and speaketh to the little people. We clamor for your wisdom and insight. Closing this thread before that moderator comes forth and openly addresses the issues raised and engages in a meaningful conversation would be the ultimate act of cynicism and dare I say, arrogance (which is mostly what had been posted here anyway, from all sides).

Alberto

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Last time on this one, I PROMISE.

there are 212,000+ threads here. Probably 500 or more active at any given time.

Even in the lambo section there are 200+ that are about a month old or less. We've had how many get a title change? 5? 10 maybe?

We're not talking about an everyday activity, are we? Maybe, just maybe, we could stop all the gnashing of teeth over this and talk about what the problem really is.

Anyone? Anyone? Ok, let me help you. It's about CONTROL. It's about who is in CHARGE. It's all about the POWER. You guys think you should have it, in unlimited quantities, free reign, do whatever you want, to hell with decorum, or the rules, or anything else. Oh, and you want an apology for the terrible wrongs that have been committed against you by the moderators here. Guess what, I don't see that happening anytime soon. And I know Rob's not gonna unleash the lions, er bulls, in here and let you guys go wild.

You want democracy? Nah, you want mob rule. Six guys running the show, enforcing your own set of rules. Unfortunately for you guys, it's not the same six guys that Rob wants keeping order. That's why we're moderating and you're participating.

Want me to change the titles of the threads back, or just change them again? Let's try the new system. JOE, you started the threads, send me a pm, let's talk about what the threads should be titled. Then We'll toss it around and see what happens, ok?

Dave M.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you are very wrong. I will be sure and put your name down to the list when you start a thread and someone sues a poster in that thread for saying something stupid I will make sure you are included liable as the thread initiator. that's not how it works on FerrariChat.com, elsewhere, or legally. the thread creator doesn't own the entire thread or liable for everything that happens in it.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    dude, how can you expect to be taken seriously as anything but a troll when you aren't even reading all of this thread you are so passionate about, from post #158...