Yeah or Nay on the space saver tire? | FerrariChat

Yeah or Nay on the space saver tire?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Rong, Oct 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rong

Rong Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Spec'd my car yesterday but still have time to make a change/ What is the consensus on this one? Thanks.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Nay. Heck, I even took the one out of my Boxer and replaced it with a can of fix-a-flat.

3. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Extra weight and unnecessary. Best

4. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I had one in my second 599 and luckily the dealer took if off me for someone else. A total waste. A mobile phone is much lighter

5. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It sounds like putting a cement block in your trunk just because it says "Ferrari." Pointless. If you blowout at 160, Im not sure you will be able to physicaly change the tire afterwards and drive back home.

Best,
    Jon

6. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    I have it in my F430.......why not?

7. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    If you have to put the space-saver on, where will you put the full-sized flat? I don't think there was any way I could fit one of the rear wheel/tires of the 612 either inside the car or in the trunk, even if I didn't have a trunk full of luggage and other stuff.

Fix-a-flat and small compressor came in very handy most times. Cell phone worked well when those didn't.

Buy a few cans of fix-a-flat at your local car parts store, keep a good cell phone charged, Maybe even invest in AA emergency coverage, and save the wieght, to say nothing of the quandry of how to fit a huge, dirty wheel and tire into your car.

8. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    That's what AAA and a cell phone are for. I have a spacer saver tire in my GTO and F40, I've never, ever used them. I did have a flat in the parking lot of a hotel in Monterey back in 1994. That's the only flat I've had in all my Ferraris in over 25 years and countless hundreds of thousands of miles driving them. Of course, this now means I'm about to get a flat tomorrow when I take one out just to make me eat my words.

I've always wondered just where you are supposed to put the original tyre in a GTO and/or F40 you if plan to drive home on the space saver spare tyre?

Steve

9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Personally I don't like the idea of using a space saver on a 600+hp car

10. agpatel

agpatel Rookie

Aug 29, 2006
    I dont own a Ferrari, but in my personal car (VW GTI) i do carry a small compressor and a mini tire plug kit. If you just get a nail or something in your tire you can always just use the plugs and fix it and not have to worry about the fix-a-flat stuff messing up the inside of the tire.

11. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    It is only 600hp if your right foot gets energetic!

12. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    LOL