Yokohamas+Rain=Mini tank slapper!? | FerrariChat

Yokohamas+Rain=Mini tank slapper!?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Entelechy, Oct 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Hi All,

Once of the nice things about living in SoCal is the lack of rain, but recently we've been getting pounded. Last year I bought some Yokohama AVS Sport tires which have been brilliant in the dry, but in heavy rain, I feel like I'm ice skating! The tires tend to dart and follow ruts, and in the rain I can feel them hydroplaning all over the place.

I've been through multiple driving schools, and have experience driving in the wet (I drove around Road Atlanta in a monster rainstorm where so much rain came in through the window netting that everytime I braked going into 10a/b off the back straight, all the water would rush forward in the floorboards like a wave machine).

Last night I was on the 405 going up the hill and made a lane change doing about 50 mph. It was raining fairly hard and of course, the roads in LA get very oily and slick, so I was being extra cautious to drive smooth with little steering input. Suddenly without warning (no progression), the back end jumped out and I had a mini-tank slapper on my hands which took about three or four doses of opposite lock before I got it under control. The whole thing was pretty unnerving, and is beginning to make me paranoid. It also confirmed my suspicions that the car would break out if I wasn't careful, because the feedback through the wheel is excellent, and I feel like I can constantly feel the lack of adhesion and drift when driving in these conditions.

I have an M3 and I saw many other rear-wheel drive cars flying by left and right. I'm going to put in a call to Tire Rack for their input, but if anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear them as I'm still learning about all of this.

Cheers,
    ~Chris

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Problem identified.

These become quite hard after ~4K miles. They do not fair well in the wet. That should be obvious by the tread patterns. Even though they do channel water outwards, the tread doesn't push the water form the center very well. The sidewalls on these tires are quite weak as well, and can be twitchy to the point you are fighting the car. The AVS Sports, while not a bad nor a great tire, aren't on my list. I'd go with the AVS Intermediates (discontinued) or ES100's (replacement for the intermediates). Either was/is half the price of the sports, and while it doesn't have a neat tread pattern, they work a lot better, for a lot longer, even on the track.

3. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Got it - many thanks Randy :)

Do you have any recommendations for other tire brands like the Michelin Pilot Sports?

~C

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I wouldn't risk it with these tires. Take 'em back and try to salvage what you can and get a more suited tire for what may be a wet West Coast this year.

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Michelin Pilot Sports, 255/40/18's are what goes on my friend's XJR, twice, and they are awesome in the dry and good in the wet. We've drived it gentle, but mostly like a hooligan in the dry and wet, and the tires are some of the best out there. I think the dry traction on the S02's IF you can find them are superior but for the $$, the performance in both should be better. I personally run Yokohama AVS DB2's on my Jag and looking forward to going back to them when I pitch the Pirelli POS treads on there now.

Sunny