your thoughts on the Maser SUV? | FerrariChat

your thoughts on the Maser SUV?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ferraripilot, May 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    To me, it's an abomination and I will view it as I did the biturbo. OTOH, I'm glad Maser is building something like this as I know it means they can continue building GT cars and hopefully build something spectacular later. Fiat had to enter the booming luxury SUV market somehow and Maser was the scapegoat they had to do this with. Alfa wouldn't quite work competing the a Porsche Cayenne so this Maser thing is the sad answer. That being said, I can't see the Maser competing with the Cayenne either unles the Maser is just an amazing handling machine.

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #2 wbaeumer, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    IMO Maserati should leave the SUV-segment to Lancia (who desperately need a good car!). Also I am sceptical about the new "Baby"-QP. Maserati needs an M3/Porsche Boxter/Cayman-contender, as coupe and Spyder, with a lower price than the GranTurismo but a little more expensive than the M3 and the Porsches.

If you want to keep the brand fresh and "young in heard" you need something to step into it.....

Ciao!
    Walter

3. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    ...apparently Maserati disagrees with you gentlemen.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yep, they do! So lets see what happens...........

(Ah - and btw: The dealer for the new upcoming McLaren GT-sportscar here in Duesseldorf sold 50 (!!) -f-i-f-t-y- cars "blnd". They were sold out before the car comes available!)

Ciao!
    Walter

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have no problem in Maserati making a sports SUV. I'm a life long fan and own one now. It doesn't bother me. I wouldn't buy one but then I have no use for an SUV.

But, I'd like to see a new Bora first at about half the price of a 458. Keep the costs low by using their existing 4.7 and a manual box. That would be pretty cool.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I think it's a good idea. FIAT has to enter that market here somehow, and shoving a Pop and restyled Grand Cherokee next to each other isn't going to work.

Maserati is starting to build a presence in the upper executive circles, and they have wives and mistresses who want SUVs

Big markup on luxury SUVs too, and Maserati has always had a luxo-cruiser of sorts in their lineup.

7. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think a Maser SUV is a great idea. Bring it on!

8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    +1
    Ciao,
    FGM

9. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Fiat absolutely had to get themselves into this market, especially in the states. They can't do it with Lancia as the brand is barely recognised in the states and those who do recognise the brand have bad memories.

Walter, I agree with your segment idea. I call that segment the hair dresser segment. Fiat is taking a stab into that segment, but in the form of the Alfa 4C, which I like but can't see it wrestling the Cayman down but more of a solid competitor for a like Lotus.

10. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Not much of an SUV guy and it turned my stomach when Porsche brought out their re-badged VW.

However, I can't dispute the results here in the USA. I hope Maserati brings out something spectacular and not a re-badged Chrysler.

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Just the wives, Tillman - just the wives.

12. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Haha, very true, very true indeed.

Maserati is missing out on too much money in this segment. Land Rover and Porsche can be outclassed with the right combination of style, power and performance.

If it's beautiful it will be a homerun.

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well,
    then -unfortunately!- we`ll get another of those Chelsea trucks......

Ciao!
    Walter

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The first time they floated this idea with the Kubang concept (horrible name) it dies on the vine and now that design belongs to Porsche. Look at the new Cayenne and then look at the Kubang. Kapow!

Ironic.

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think Audi already does this and with a ton of technology on it. I think either the performance has to be outrageous (never happen) or it has to be beautiful will all the goodies on it. Neither one will come in under the price of a 458.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    See, I don't think the performance has to match the 458 for it to be successful. That's the difference.

And, I do agree that the Audi is there but IMO it doesn't have the name or is special enough. It's just another 911. A Maserati would be something different and hopefully, much better looking.

But, I don't run Maserati unfortunately. If I did, their sales would be triple. :)

18. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I can't say that I ever "got" the luxury SUV / CUV market. I have owned four SUV's but have always been more interested in the "utility" aspect of these vehicles. Unquestionably, Porsche has been successful with their Cayenne so perhaps Maserati could compete with something like the Maserati Kubang from 2003 http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/alfieri96.htm. Here in Vancouver, there are many QP's and Maserati is associated with large luxurious four door sedans such that for most people, when they see a Maserati other than a QP, their reaction is "I didn't know Maserati made sports cars." I don't think an SUV would (further) dilute the Maserati brand as a GT / sports car.
    Jon

19. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That's a great point. The public is indeed associating the brand with lux 4-doors more than sports cars now. I personally thought that would never happen, but in that respect I am happy Maser has at least some recognition even though it's not quite where I would place it. I suspect Fiat is pleased with their market positioning then as the paradigm current-maserati has established fits into their grand scheme just right doesn't it.

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #20 wbaeumer, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
    +++1! Thats what I said!

Yep, I was veeeeery happy with the Cayenne as I had a lot of Porsche-stocks since 10 years and fortunately sold them on their peak prior to the start of the economical desaster VW is now sorting out after they got the marque!

Ciao!
    Walter

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm on your side in wanting "something" else but who's the target market for such a car.
    Will the Maserati name mean that much more to them than Audi or does technology triumph over history/tradition?

I don't know, there are so many cars on the market that go incredibly fast for a whole lot less than a 458.

Perhaps the light, nimble, gorgeous, not gadget filled and very quick is an opportunity.
    I bet the magazines would love it and you and I might too but is that enough?

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Nobody needs a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche....or Maserati!

But thats not the point here!
    We are talking about marketing- and product positioning of images.

Maserati would be very well advised to see what Aston Martin is doing!

AM has:

1. a clear marketing strategy.
    2. a very well positioned range of products
    3. a clear standpoint or competition.
    4. a clear back-up and usage of the AM-heritage
    5. a very good quality controlling

and finally

6. a person who 100% represents Aston Martin, pushing it forward with ideas without compromises!
    Herr Beetz doesn`t see a SUV as a useful product for the brand - and he knows why.

Also AM has a much better way to treat customers.

Maserati unfortunately is only a sub-brand to FIAT/Ferrari. And in that combination we have all reasons for the negative aspects the marque has to face currently.

What does Maserati need:

1. a high-end coupe (also as Spyder). Its the current GrandTurismo/GranCabrio.
    2. a 4-door-sedan with V8- and V12-engine.
    3. an entry-car a little north of the M3- and Cayenne-price tag, with a small V8 as coupe and/or Spyder - for the "mass market".

When Ferrari doesn`t want any technical components from a Maserati because "...its not Ferrari" why should Maserati use something from a cheap US-manufacturer like Chrysler??
    Also a Maserati SUV would sell in much lower figurers than the announced Chrysler-SUV which is clearly for a mass-market.

And to compare Porsche with Maserati is ridiculous as the Stuttgart manufacturer produces about 100,000 cars per year!

Maserati is too small for a 4th model range - so no SUV and "Baby QP" please!

....but the new Maserati sneakers are really cool ..::))

Ciao!
    Walter

23. finlandese

finlandese Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Walters comparison with Aston Martin is IMHO spot on. Maserati should always be a brand with grace and class. I don´t think neither of those qualities would be expressed in any way with a SUV. Then again, if the current owners view is just a short term exploitation of the brand in any way they can, then a SUV will fit in just fine...

24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Aston has produced "Shooting Brake" models ...

25. finlandese

finlandese Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Which are quite nice, and IMO fit with the grace and class definition, that I mentioned about. But then again, I love the Shamals, and some Karifs, so what do I know...

A shooting brake Gran Turismo?.. Oh, wait they have already made one, but they call it Ferrari FF!