Z06 for my 360 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Z06 for my 360

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by mikegr, Aug 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    For the record I like corvette and plan to add one. Mi gripe is interior quality being it's the halo car.

I was told there is a base Vette crappy interior then Stingray much nicer. I guess the discontinued z06. The viper I was in had italian like interior . I was surprised . Leaps over previous gen.

I like many don't like the c7 tail but the rest of the car is growing on me. I plan to see one in person soon.

2. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    You were given bad info then. All C7's, regardless of trim level (1LT/2LT/3LT) have absolutely beautiful, well crafted interiors with material quality miles ahead of the previous car. And ALL C7's are Stingrays. Certainly, many have complained about the rear end treatment of the C7, as a multiple time Corvette owner, I like the rear end a great deal and think that it modernizes the car.

Jimmy

3. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Is there still a z06 or zr1 ?

4. GoonOnFire

GoonOnFire Karting

Feb 6, 2012
    They changed the name this time, which is strange, to Z07. As far as I know it's been announced. I heard someone say 700 HP, but that's probably not accurate.... at all.

5. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    #155 apex97, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Z07 is an RPO code for the 'Ultimate performance package" on a Z06. It gives you the carbon bodywork, advanced stability and traction control and carbon brakes from the ZR1 but leaves the 427. Its a ZR1 with a 427 instead of the blower. Here is mine!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    And as a footnote about all this 'Ferrari vs Vette" discussion. There is a lot of data in SCCA racing to take a look at. For 5 years in a row Corvette won the SCCA National Championship with the C5 Z06. That was until 2008 when I came along in a 360 Challenge car and broke that streak and won the National Championship for Ferrari. I then produced the program the kept the 430 Challenge car the SCCA National Champion for three more years until they outlawed the Ferrari in SCCA Club racing. Now having said that...look at the above picture and see what this Ferrari racer chooses for his daily driver. If you truly want to appreciate how good Corvettes are, try racing against them with a Ferrari for a few seasons!

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Does c7 has targa top ?

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, Z06 probably arriving in 14 or 15

Not sure re ZR1

9. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Yes, it has a targa. There is NO info out of GM yet on a Z06/ZR1. There was a leaked photo of a LT1 (C7 engine) with a supercharger on it.

I am not trying to bust you, but why would you post about a car that you very clearly know NOTHING about?

Here's the Corvette website, spend some time there.

2014 Chevy Corvette | Sports Cars | Chevrolet

Jimmy

10. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Agree, most ofthese types of comments are clueless...
    As a Viper owner, past Z06 owner, I can tell you the C7 has a interior comparable
    to many cars costing much more, and certainly $60K cars.

Comparing a $120K new Viper interior to a $60K C7 is ridiculous, I have
    seen both, and the Viper does look $60K better, for sure.

When the hipo C7 come out, they will have the same interiors, cost $90K
    plus, and decimate any cars in that price range as far as overall performance,
    and you will hear the whiners going on about the " same interior as the base car"
    improved, but not track seats, on and on....

Vette seats have always been geared towards comfort and ingress/egress,
    the new ones are improved, but still geared towards that. 99% of Vette's
    will spend their time on public roads, even tracked Vette's spend a majority of
    time on the road.....Vette seats, even c5/C6 seats are some of the comfortable
    around town and long trip sats I have sat in, but suck at the track.

So buy a track seat. Even the wife's Benz seats are uncomfortable, sport seats,
    on a car that never sees a track.

C7 is a world class car, many cross shoppers from Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
    that never looked at a Vette before. Even on the Viper forum they talk about
    how great the C7 is, and how the hit it out of the park, and how the
    new Viper is a disappointment.

A stock auto C7 just ran 11.7 in the 1/4, not even broken in, gets 30 mpg on the
    highway and holds it 's own against almost any car as far as performance, looks,
    interior, and can be had for just $60 K, show me a better deal....

11. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Sure, that must be why nobody overseas ever heard of Coke, Pepsi, McDonald's, Levi's, Hollywood etc LOL

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Cheaper, faster, great AC, GPS, cheap parts, patriotic, vast racing heritage, sexy

13. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    ...or Oscar de la Renta, Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Halston, Tom Ford, William Fioravanti, Thomas Keller, Alice Waters, BBQ, clam chowder, sourdough bread, Andrew Wyeth, Charles Russell, Edward Hopper, Georgia O'Keefe, Andy Warhol, Frederic Remington, Mark Twain, Eudora Welty, Kurt Vonnegut, Aaron Copland, Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, W. Eugene Smith, Edward Weston, Ansel Adams... Jesus, I could go on forever.

Anyone so bigoted as to dismiss the influence and achievement of an entire culture can be safely ignored on other matters of taste I think.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Maybe there should be a show of hands, how many people have owned both of theses cars, wait no how about how many people have EVEN driven both of these cars. From the post I'm reading I'm betting not that many. If I had to use just a word or two to separate these cars I'd say the 360 is a dancer and the Z06 is a hammer. The Hammer can hurt you if you swing it the wrong way!

15. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    ballet dancer has grace and finesse to dodge a hammer with style. many Ferrari owners areformer vette owners. its rare for Ferrari owners to step down to Vette, just saying

16. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I'll guarantee you there are PLENTY of Ferrari owners that also own Corvettes (for track days or DD). It is not often an "either/or" situation that you seem to think it is (especially if the Ferrari in question is a current gen car. The OP is talking about a 360 for a Z06).

Jimmy

17. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    +1

Jimmy

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I will be another who ADDS a Vette. As I said Vette owners upgrade to Ferrari, Ferrari owners add Vette . it's very rare for Ferrari owners to trade their.car for Vette

19. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I've driven both on and off track. I'd honestly rather have my Z06 than a 360. I have 355 that I occasionally drive because it is beautiful and sounds so nice, but I always thought the 360 was a step down in looks and not enough of a step up in performance to go with it.

The 360 is less likely to hurt you than a Z06 simply because it is so slow. Hard to get into trouble with limited power and torque.

20. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    The 360 is a dancer?

Ever driven a Caterham RS 500?

Lotus Exige?

Track sorted Miata with R comps?

The 360 is nice, but no dancer. A GT3 will run circles around one.

Maybe I am just biased, I am in the F355 camp!

21. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    and how does a.355 compare to gt3?

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    LOL..not even a contest. The gt3 would eat a 355 alive in reverse.

23. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    Y

We gotta make fair comparisons!

No doubt the 997 GT3 is faster than a 355, but its not quite THAT bad:) A 355 would run with any non turbo Porsche from it's era.

If you compare each car against it's contemporaries of similar generations, they are all pretty even. For example , and again speaking from actual experience driving these cars side by side on street and track, with street cars a 360, C5 Z06 and a 996 GT3 are dead even, a 430 will be quicker than an early 997 GT3 and a 430 Challenge is about even with an early GT3 cup car and a C6 Z06.

The later "Platinum" class GT3 Cup cars are a bit quicker than a 430 Challenge, but a current 458 will beat a 997 Cup car.

Now the 991 GT3 might run with a 458 and we haven't even seen what the C7 will do when they introduce the "top spec" engines yet.

So, it all comes down to personal preference and how each car suits your driving style. I agree that a 360 is a "dancer" compared to a Z06, and that a Lotus Exige will make most anything feel like a mid 60's American sedan by comparison, but it makes many concessions to comfort and usability to get there.

I think we are all pretty lucky to have machines available to us at this performance level to argue about!

24. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Actually, as a point of reference, at the F1 support races last October, the 458C cars ran best laps of 2:14.xx and the 997 Cup cars ran 2:13.xx best.

see also:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/other-racing/390046-gt3-cup-cota.html

25. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I think that is the key I have owned 4 Z06, over the years starting with a 2004 c5 very nice car then on to the c6 generation which is the car to get .. They can be bought for about 60% off so it is hard to beat. I also have a 2013 427 conv.. not quite the zo6 but I sent it to Callaway had it supercharged and for about 100k total I have a 650hp torque master very fast vette.. It does not have the allure of the Ferraris but they really are heck of a car for the money..
    by the way if you get a 430 I just bought a SCUD and it feels fantastic ... and looks great///