ZF S5-20 and a 4.7 V8? | FerrariChat

ZF S5-20 and a 4.7 V8?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hello,

as some of you will know from my Mexico thread, i am rebuilding a later Mexico while using a 4.7 V8 from an older car. I have a matching ZF S5-20 transmission from another Mexico, which looks ok but probably needs a minor rebuild (new bearings, seals etc.).

I have four questions regarding this:

- the S5 20 was normally used in the 4.2 litre cars. The 4.7 is not that much more powerful, but can the S5-20 cope with that engine?

- does the S5-20 fit to the engine without modification? I have the earlier two plate 9,5 clutch on my engine.

- does somebody have the approx. 15 page rebuilding manual for an S5-20 from ZF?

- since originality is not my prior concern and the rebuilding cost for parts of an S5-20 is not really cheap, would it be better to not risk the S5-20 on that car but rather use something new and capable like a Ford T5 or another alternative (hints are welcome)?

Like alway i appreciate any help big time. I have to decide on spending a considerable amount of money on the S5-20 or look the other way...

CU lbird

2. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    It's a risky business. The S5-20 gearbox is designed to accept 30mkg (input torque). The 4,7L V8 is more "torky" so Maserati move to the S5-325.
    In my humble opition, try to find a correct S5-325 or an alternative.