ZR1: a flurry of rumors on the old ZR-1 mail list | FerrariChat

ZR1: a flurry of rumors on the old ZR-1 mail list

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by James_Woods, Jun 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I am beginning to see a flurry of speculation about the new ZR1 coming out late this summer (or maybe fall)...this is on an old C4 generation for ZR-1 4cam owners and interested persons:

1. The price will list at 103,000 approximately - thus making this the most expensive street Corvette ever.

2. The actual street price to take delivery is speculatively from 150K to 175K. All the cars for this year are said to be sold.

3. The fate of this car (LS9) is said to be already sealed. The new C7 Corvette is supposed to be coming out in about 2010 or 2011, and the new platform (very small V8 by today's standards) will not leave room for anything like ZR1 or Z06.

I predict that this car will cause a more intense speculative buying frenzy than even the original ZR-1 of 1990, and that all the magazine pundits will have a field day. Probably even to a greater degree than when they swooned over the Nissan GTR last month.

2. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Can't wait for the new C7 to be released :D

3. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    The MSRP is right. Official today: (Source: GM PR/Autoextremist.com)

I agree on the speculation, we are witnessing the end of another high-performance era. Wonder how many of the ZR1's will just be put away in storage.

I have heard the same about the C7. They are focusing on making the car smaller and lighter and will be using a smaller displacement V8, still an extension of the LS-series. Have not heard if turbo-or supercharging is in play or not, but I would not be suprised if a twin-turbo would be introduced at some point.

4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I saw an ad today selling the new car for $175k. Nice little profit.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    It seems surprising to me that the C6 would only last for 5-6 model years. I guess Chevy is trying to adapt to the current environment. Imagine a Soltice-sized Corvette with a TT 3.5L V8 and about 400 hp. Depending on gearing, it would probably still get 30+ mpg highway.

6. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I love all the folks who said and probably still say "Nobody will pay a hundred grand for a Corvette" or "GM missed its target market with the ZR1" and all that bull. :D

I don't really think this is the end of a performance era, though. I don't particularly think the cars are going to get much more powerful or anything like that anytime soon, but whether it's a V8 or an electric motor, there will be high performance vehicles like this as long as the market demands it. And it sure seems like the market won't stop demanding it anytime soon. Even with fuel efficiency, as long as they're producing pickup trucks and SUV's that get mpg in the low teens, they won't have any problem building vettes that get in the low twenties. The C6 can get damn near 30 mpg on the highway as it is, most family sedans can't say that.

7. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    it's still an American car

8. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    $175K!?

Sweet Jesus. Any higher, and you'd be wondering, "Why the hell didn't he just buy a GT2?"

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #9 WILLIAM H, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes it is, and it still won LeMans 6 times :)

Now for the C7 I'd like to see a similair aluminum frame as on the Z06 w a full carbon fiber body and a nicer interior

Make it a small displacement V8, maybe even a hybrid, as long as it goes, sounds, & looks good I dont care if it runs on peanuts
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Amen!

I want a mini nuclear reactor in my next car. Not only would you not have to fill up ever, you could provide clean free power to the rest of the block when the car is parked at home :)

11. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #11 WILLIAM H, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think Stark Industries has these
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Yeah I thought of that when I was 6...(france has a big love for nukes) until I realized that radiations beside, you'd need something to generate some useful power out of all that heat...
    Funnily some guys used nuclear power for cargo boats, maybe an idea to investigate further on freight trains too.... They could be damn fast crossing the US without ever needing to stop :) You read about it first on FChat :D

13. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Further scuttlebut has it that the C7 project has never been officially started by GM. For example, a so-called Bowling Green "insider" says that no project manager has been selected, and that ALL new GM development projects are on hold for the time being. The current wisdom would be that the so-called C7 will be a light reskinning of the C6 with downsized engines, and that the real C7(or C8 or whatever) is pushed out to maybe 2013 - at which time the CAFE and GM's declining fortunes will be upon us with the full force.

I do not like what I am hearing, needless to say. But time will tell - we lived through the mid 70s with Corvette too.

14. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #14 SSNISTR, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
    Coming from a guy named after a crappy asian TV....

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Wes hould start buying up 06-09 Z06s, they are cheap & will likely be highly collectible as the last stand of the 427

I'll probably get 1 or 2 more

16. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    True, but not hard when your strongest competitor is just 1 team, and the rest of the cars aren't getting backed by the factory. ;)

17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Nobody is stopping other teams from entering

Vettes also handed the Viper & Porsche teams their butts, and Porsche is no pushover

18. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Only one team competes against them because everyone else knows they can't :)

19. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john

exactly

20. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    According to the gentleman giving the presentation for the ZR1 at the Corvette tent at the 12 hours of sebring, the ZR1 may not have a long life but he said they will always do a Z06. Sorry, I don't remember his name but he was the guy doing the presentation to Will Cooksey and his wife for his retirement and introduced the special edition Vette.

21. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Nothing is stopping the other teams except interest and money. Risi already tried to enter a MC12 and they weren't going to get any points. All the Viper teams were European teams in the FIA and were doing fantastic there so they had no reason to come here.

BTW, the Corvettes never handed any Porsche teams their butts because there were none in their GTS class. They handed the Saleens their butts though.

And speaking of the FIA GT, that series shows you just how much the C6R needs the factory to be truly successful. In that series where you don't get Chevrolet to supply you with parts, the MC12s and the DBR9s dominate the C6Rs in pretty much every single race.

The only series a C6R is really successful in is ALMS, and that's hardly an achievement when you're the only one running strong cars in your class. That's also why it's the most boring class in the whole series. At least Porsche is fighting Ferrari and Audi at the same time.

22. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    Audi won LeMans. Corvette has never won LeMans (except for its class..., but not this year). Today I read that Corvette will attempt to win LeMans in 2010.

23. FriscoRays

FriscoRays Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2005
    Although it should be noted that that one team has bested them two years running now.