ZR1 Track Record | FerrariChat

ZR1 Track Record

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Eric R, Jan 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Man, that's a fast car. I like that GM never brings in one of the Corvette Racing guys to do the laps, always Jim Mero (vehicle dynamics engineer who's pretty fast himself).

2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I've already got one on order!! Sebring Orange :) (manual trans, of course)

Not too bad, for that "old-school" tech, huh?

nicholasn and of2worlds like this.
  3. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Just wait for the mid engine, 88 grand for 700 hp, 100 grand for 850 ish hp and 1,000 hp carbon fiber blah blah blah for under 145.
    They had a target and they are going to blow it out of the water.
    Yes , the v8 is king and unreal after all these years, I'm not up on this car though, was it paddle shift or an old fashioned stick?
    Now , PLEASE BUILD SOMETHING THAT ISNT UGLY AS SIN........
    GTJOEY1314

4. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I'm pretty sure the ZR1 that just set the record at VIR was paddle ... those shifts sounded damn quick in the video!
    Doesn't matter ... i'm stick shift, all the way :)

It really is amazing what old-school can do: big blown V8 up front, rear-wheel drive ... embarrassing the competition costing many, many times more $$$$

5. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    The success of the Aston Vantage was the same, simple v8, stick shift.
    There maintenance was ZERO for the cost of the car.
    I know where your heading on the other stuff, the technology is great but in real life, its a waste 99% of the time.
    If you ever get to test a 720s or equivalent, you will understand, theres no where to go.
    Enjoy your new vette ........
    GTJOEY1314

6. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Thanks gtjoey .... i'll let you know when the ZR1 shows up :)

By the way, i heard a whisper or two about this record set by the ZR1 ... and even hinted at it, in another thread ;) but i was sworn to secrecy. The bottom line: an "old-school", pushrod, front-engine V8, rear-wheel drive car ... driven by a talented engineer (but no pro driver) during validation testing (!) ... smashes the performance of "new school" high-tech cars costing many, MANY times more!

And let's say you want to make some performance mods, for an extra couple hundred HP? I'm sure the V8 ZR1 platform will be ready and waiting ....

good times to be a car guy ... !!

of2worlds likes this.
  7. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Remind me again which make won the GTLM class at Daytona ? Thats right two Ford GT's won 1-2, and the only reason Corvette finished third is because Chip Ganassi only entered two cars. I expect the similar results at Sebring.

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    That is what you will get until the BOP is fixed....

9. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Heavily regulated series, where BoP controls everything? Are you saying that the C7.R's at Daytona are virtually identical to the new 2019 ZR1 ... which just set the lap record at VIR?
    Finally, remind me again ... what's the price of the new FGT, compared to the new ZR1?

10. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #11 jimmyb, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Alrighty....if we're going to play THAT game....

Remind me again who has won the IMSA GTLM series championship the last 2 years?
    Oh, right....Corvette.

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wow. so its faster than the nfgt too? wow!

12. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #13 werewolf, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Honestly guys, GTLM is pretty damn irrelevant ... either way ... when comparing performance outside the very restrictive limits of that series.

The new FGT was designed with this series in mind, and has consequently performed well ... in that series. But the C7.R Corvette that's raced in that series is more like a power-limited, naturally aspirated ~500hp Z06 (as i understand it) ... which has very, VERY little in common with the new ~750hp ZR1 that just smashed the record at VIR.

What i find endlessly fascinating is how well old-school, rear-wheel drive, front-engined (pushrod!) V8's perform against the latest & greatest "new" tech !!

13. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Well, it is at VIR with Jim Mero driving....
    So, for next 3 days, the ZR1 is THE fastest. Then something else will be the fastest.

14. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Correct. It is funny that the STREET car (Z06) that the RACE car (C7.R) is based on has 150 MORE horsepower.

15. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    And please educate me on how a purposely built car by a major manufacturer who did not have to sell even one unit prior to entering it into competition and is by THEIR own account a purpose built race car only able to dominate the class at Daytona over a production car turned racecar by only 2 laps after 24hrs? The GT should never have been allowed to race in the series until units were being delivered to the public. Rules are rules right? I think the effort is less impressive given the effort and rules twisting that has been applied. Even Porsche, BMW and Ferrari play by the rules. I feel the GT is not in this class and somewhere between GTLM and DP and that is what ford was after anyway.

16. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka

Super cool and bad ass !!!

MDS

17. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Ford hired Billy Johnson (championship race car driver) to lap the GT.

The GT2 RS will in all likelihood beat the ZR1 whenever Porsche gets around to lapping it.