zr1 vs 360 | FerrariChat

zr1 vs 360

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by boxerman, Jan 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Since the new vette vs used ferrari debate seems to garner some interest at the 45k mark. How about if you had 100k to spend. Would you go for a zr1 vette or a used 360. The 360 for sure will cost more to run, the vette will be more reliable new and cheaper to own. Two years from now they would both be used cars. The ferrari is probably beter built so wouldnt feel necessarily more used than the vette. A paddleshift ferrai may in some ways be less fun than a manual vette? On paper the vette will eclipse the 360, but is that so relevant given the performance available from either. The vette has lots of fun CF bits cermaic brakes. I dont know if you take the badging out of the vequation they both have appeal.

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

sean,

you are a seasoned car guy...you already have a tremendous ferrari. are you looking at the zr-1 seriously? the zr-1 will be a monster and using the term "eclipse" to describe the zr-1's perforfance advantqage may be the automotive understatement of the year!

i think the zr-1 will RAPE the 360 and probably kill the 430 too. i suspect the zr-1 will get some serious ink in 2008...it is quite a machine!!

you already have a blue chip ferrari (just ask pollard) ...have fun looking at cars sean.

pcb

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    True the older farrais are great ,the moderns dont have quite the same appeal. Or put another way a modern ferrari is so "usable" that its not so different to a number of other cars out there. The 360 is not a classic yet, its not the pinnacle. the zr1 is the pinnacle of its type at the moment. Also frankly new ferraris while great have for me a negative, fashion acessory pose branded blah immage.

That this debate takes place indicates just how far the vette has come. I still think that after 20k mi it will be a lose rattletrap, but maybe that is my past GM experience comming through. The vette will not have the finesse of the ferrari either, but the pererformance appears so ridiculous that it kinda writes its own game, not sure where one would or could use it though. The vette being so extreme might also be a pinnacle in terms of overpowered cars, given that new regs are going to make new cars smaller lighter less powerful etc. That just might make the zr1 the last of the mohecans and therefore a "collectable" for 20 years from now, cant really say the same about the 360.
    In the 360's favor it really is a race car for the street, and probably rrasonable fun on the track, and hey it has that italian magic, something thayt even affects fiats. But it costs to run and has the modern ferrari stigma.

Personaly not getting rid of the boxer either way. I guess if I got 500k for it I could see having a 360 to have a ferrari. Take the train to work, Got a m3 comming of lease, was thinking of buying it, stretching to a nissan gtr. But them am so afflicted with car illness thought about stretching to another usless 2 seater in a year or so and trying for a zr1. But would it satisfy as much as a used gt3RS for the same $ and the wife is already flipping about the lotus 211 on the way, she has frivelous plans for money like house.. I like to keep cars so part of the equation wouls alawys be its future desirability. Still having fun looking though.

The question remains. If you had no hot car right now and 100k to spend would you go for a zr1 or used 360, as I said earlier the fact that it is a debate indicates how far the vette has come. A few years from now Aston will be a serious contender too. Ferrari better watch out before it becomes an automotiuve coach.

4. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Give me a silver over red 360 spider please. In all honesty the vette might be fast as hell, quicker then everything around a track, and still have excellent street maners but as we say in the car hobby, "there is ALWAYS some one faster".

5. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Is neither an option?

Now if I won a sweepstakes and was to be given one, and couldn't sell it or trade it...

VERY tough call.

Is BOTH and option!

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well for 100k what else would you rather have?

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Not sure what I'd get, but in that price range the options include:

BMW M5
    BMW M6
    Audi R8
    MB SL550
    MB e63 AMG
    Porsche 911 4s
    BMW z8

Pretty stiff competition... not saying the corvette won't out run them all, but as far as a fantastic daily, a lot of very good options.

My problem with a $100K vette, is that its a $100K. If you have many cars, it would be great to add to the list, but if you can only have 1 car at that price, I'm not sure I'd pick the 'vette.

8. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc

New Nissan GT-R.

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    G
    T

10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I think that states it better than I could. If $100k cars are like hot wheels for a wealthy collector, the ZR1 would likely be added to the garage. But those guys are relatively rare.

Another source of demand for the ZR1 would be the "Made in the USA" guys, or the Corvette guys that can afford one (maybe just one). There are many more of this type of person. So the ZR1 will have strong demand.

But for the rest of the potential buyers with the ability to afford a $100k car, and are just performance car people on a budget of $100k, the ZR1 might not be the first choice. I'm roughly in that situation, and think it is great GM had the courage to build it, but that doesn't mean it is even on the radar as a potential purchase. My guess is the ZR1 is like a current Japanese literbike, with spectacular performance numbers although with capabilities far above most owners. In the real world of actual driving, 600+ horsepower is maybe too much.

For the real world, the 360 would be the better choice, IMO.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Just looked at the vette forums, they seem pretty dissapointed that the car has a crappy interior still, and most want a mid engine.

12. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    If money is no object, then the 360. If we are talking a weekend car to be used 2-3,000 miles per year, the 360. If money is a consideration and this is to be a daily driver, then the ZR1. In two years, I would have 40,000 on the car. The 360 would be badly worn and possibly unmarketable with what would likely be over 60,000 on the clock. The Vette would have 40,000 miles and would still be under factory warranty. Have to further define the scenario to come to a valid conclusion.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    For 100k car is not going to be a daily. Conssidder this to be a weekend blaster with occasional civillian use, and a bit of track thrown in.

14. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the zr1 ,with 620 hp, maybe too much of a beast as a daily driver...can you image handling all that torque and hp on wet, sloppy roads??? But your point is well made ...the zr1 is still a regular vette under its shell.....

15. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I don't agree with that. I'll bet 60% of the buyers use them as a daily. $100k for a daily just isn't that much anymore... No end of daily drivers in that price range... m5, m6, sl, s-class, cl-class, jag xkr, porcshe 911 cabriolet, lexus 460L almost there...

16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    As a weekend fun car Id get the 360 hands down. As a daily the ZR1. As a track car ZR1 because 360 maintenance would scare me.

having said that id get a new Viper as a daily before I got the ZR1. Sure the ZR1 is slightly faster but its way more expensive...you can get a new viper for less than $80k.

As others have said the only problem with the ZR1 is that its $100k. If it was $80k Id probably pick it over the Viper.

Just my $.02

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you like the 360's styling, it's getting to be a bargain. I've just never warmed up to it. But there are some great, lightly-used sports cars you could pick up for $100K. Aston Martin Vantage V8, Porsche 993 TT, BMW Z8...

At $50K, the Corvette is an indisputable deal. At $100K, it's a depreciation cliff-dive -- with all the style of the 52 other Corvettes parked in the supermarket lot.

18. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I'm trading in my Z06 on one and driving it daily as I do my Z06. I have been very satisfied with my Z after selling my Ferrari and getting one. It has been stone cold reliable with not one squeek or rattle for 20K miles. Not one trip for service. It's ran perfect from day 1.

19. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    For 100k on a NEW sports car...my pick would be the NEW Viper ACR. Its set up to be a track terror, with 600hp Normally asperiated HP, and should lay down some very good times. Yes it's a bit much for the street but who cares, hey ya only live once. If ya really want comfort in a sports car, mod a used TT Porsche, and you will have all the performance, with a very good ride, and durability.

Darrell.

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ditto my Hondas and my Audi.

But I'm keeping the Ferrari. ;)

21. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Enjoy Alan. Your approach is what I expect. A lot of Z06 drivers converting to ZR1, and using them daily. Report back with real world experience! Enjoy.

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I would rather drive your BB then either....

23. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    To be truthfull if I was in your shoes I would choose neither car because both are great but both have their ups and downs. I would either find a way to get both or build a factory five racing GTM which is basicly a Ferrari 360 meets Corvette Z06.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have a lotus 211 on the way for the track, and the boxer is a great weekend blaster. I also have a m3 which I enjoyed as a less intense alternative to the boxer, ie you put the key in and go, can park anywherer great stereo ac and can still be driven hard when the road conditions permit. In other words an everyday blaster you can take to the shops get caught in traffic in and drive long distances to a track day.

Where the M3 is a huge dissapointment is in its lack of feedback, blandness on the track in spite of performance specs. The M3 is great but not great fun. Maybe a subaru sti would be more fun. Then I got to thinking about the nissan gtr. But while the gtr specs are great too, it is probably more of a computer driven no feedback kinda car than the M3, and there is no stick reducing driver involvement further. Plus at 3800lbs a GTr is going to be seriously questionable on a track smaller than the nurbering, personaly I think it will wilt if driven hard at a track, but then so do most stock porches and ferraris.

The zo6 seems to have agreat reputation, and while it lacks in feedback and driving finesse, which on the street are major componants of enjoyment, its ridiculous power provides an entertainment of its own. The Zr1 with its carbon fiber bits cermamic brakes and supercar power/performance at least makes a case for itself as being superlative in a number of areas, which makes it appealing.

But that is just me, assuming you did not have another "sportscar" and had 100k to spend. The car might have some daily use here and there but it is assumed you have a daily driver so this is to be a fun car. In this case would you as a hypothetical buyer go for the zr1 or a 360 or say a carrera c2s. My interest in the debate is that at this price range, which is well above where avtte is traditionaly priced the zr1 may huve pluses and minuses but it is a contender, and depending on where you place emphasis a great choice.

I believe that between 1970 and say the 04 zo6 the performance chasm between a ferrari and a vette for the same money was so huge there was no comparisson to make. The ferrai would have had significantly greater performance and durability at speed on the track etc, it would also have been significantly more painful to live with.

Today a 360 is relatively civilised, maybe more expensive to maintain but unlikely to leave you stranded, at least as comfortable as the vette and arguable more fun in certain parameters. The vette is less expensive to run, cruder, but on paper has a performance if not a fun to drive edge. This means that the gap that ferrari enjoyed has been significantly narrowed, and as ferraris become more civilised while vettes astons etc develop better power handling interiors etc the gap will narrow futher with ferraris main points of differentiation being design(although they have no monopoly on this particularily with aston) brand image(sadly a weak fallback for something as great as ferrari) and italian passion(something like charm impossible to just copy but real nevertheless.)

I would say ferrari having essentialy invented the upscale hyperperformance drivable status sportscar is seeing its market assulted from porche audi aston etc. Ferraris response is limited production brand mangement so newer cars are now mainly going to people who covet them as fashion acessories. Evo picked the gt3rs above the scuderia because it felt fully developed from a lineage wheras the scuderia felt contrived. For a "brand" to survive and prosper it also has to have integrity. Ferrari imho should be building cars both for the fashionistas
    and still be building 100-150k cars for the hardcore. Porche does this and each gt3 driven balls out at a trackday gives credibility to the carreras and convertables etc. Ferrari can protect and enhance its brand image by having more production in more subniches.

As it is hardcore track people can buy a lotus which is a lot of money for what it is or a gt3, try get a scuderia let alone drive one in anger. On the fashion front you have aston and even audi makes an exotic.

The vettes have comparatively little status yet the very existance of this thread proves that they have established real credibiliy. And real credibility(at least that is aceeasible) is a diminishing attribute of ferraris. When aston finaly gets a real engine and a bit beter build, possibly even a mid engine, not to mention a reasonably priced maclaren where will ferrari be. I think they are in great danger unless they seriously start covering a wider range of sportscar niches to both satify fashionistas and DRIVERS and preserve their hardcore image(which by the way is related to who drives them, how they are driven and where) Frankly when ferrari falls from fashion(which it surely will) will it still have relevance or will a number of companies have occupied that role.

25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    360, no question.

I've had 4 Corvettes, and no way are they $100k cars in terms of quality or sophistication. If I HAD to spend $100k on an American car, it would be either a Viper (which also lacks quality or sophistication but is a true exotic) or the best Midyear Corvette I could find......