Headlight (aka: Column, Cluster) Switch & Switch Stalk Repair | FerrariChat

Headlight (aka: Column, Cluster) Switch & Switch Stalk Repair

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Verell, Jun 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #1 Verell, Jun 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What would you do if the internals of your headlight switch shattered?

Michael Collins (Singapore,China) contacted me a while back & asked if I could repair his badly broken 308 headlight switch. He'd tried epoxying it a couple of times, but it kept on disentigrating.

Here's what it looked like when he FedExed it to Unobtainium Supply Co. (48hrs Singapore to Massachusetts!):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #2 Verell, Jun 16, 2004
    In case you're wondering, Of course I assured Michael that Unobtainium Supply could fix his stalk.

The following pix were taken after the new end had been cast on the stalk & cured overnight @40psi.
    1st pic: Mold halves separated, still a fair amount of paper thin flash hanging off of the new end
    2nd pic: Bottom side of switch end after removal from mold & trimming flash.
    3rd pic: Top side of switch end.

STRENGTHENING MODIFICATIONS:
    If you look closely, you can see the following design mods I made to strengthen the new switch end:
    1)The new end has a solid arm connecting the contact holder area to the larger portion of the end. The original end had a slot down the center of the arm.
    2) The inside of the intersection of the arm and the contact holder is now radiused instead of a right angle. Should significantly transfer stress better.
    3) The top of the arm now extends well over onto the top of the contact holder.
    4) The mold halves
    I do have to admit that It took 6 trys before I was able to get a solid casting. (Well, the 1st try was good also, but I sliced it trimming off flashing!! Almost cried.)

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Well done!!...I noticed the other day that I will probably be at the same task some time soon.....

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
  5. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Verell: It appears that you used two different kinds of mold rubber. (pink & green) Why?

Hans.

6. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Very impressive.
    What is the approximate cost of such a repair?

7. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    Thanks for the repair Verell. The part fitted perfectly in place and is working fine.

This is a permanent fix for a recurring problem I have had for over three years. While the switch is easy to take apart and reassemble, (take care of the springs and ball bearings) fixing the part is not possible without recasting the new part, a job I am not capable of. Verell's repair not only fits back in and works but if you are as acquainted as I am with this part you will see the extra strength he has achieved with the part.

If you have a similar problem after you remove the broken stork you can reassemble the switch using a wooden blank in place of the stork. This will at least allow you to drive the car during the day with wipers and in China the all-important horn.

Once again Many thanks

Michael Collins

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Michael, thanks for the kind words. Glad to have a satisfied customer!

Actually, it's two different colored catalysts for the same base RTV. The green catalyst produces a somewhat more rigid rubber. I wanted this for the base so it would be less likely to deform when the top was pressed into it squishing the casting compound into all the nooks & crannys.

The color differentiation also makes it easier to separate the two mold halves the first time after curing the 2nd half on top of the original half. Sometimes the parting compound doesn't work perfectly & the two bond together in places. Then you have to carefully separate the sections with a razor blade & Xacto knife. Having contrasting colors lets you see immediately when you're not following the original parting line.

Price for molding a new end on a headlight stalk, generally cleaning the stalk, polishing the knob & cleaning the lettering: $135 + shipping due upon acceptance of the repaired part.

Anyone know how to redo the lettering & icons on knobs?

My experience with the lettering & icons is that cleaning them really brightens them up, but often also reveals that they've worn thin or even thru in places.

I'm still trying to come up with a process for renewing the lettering & icons. If the original lettering was hot-stamped nice & deep then the markings can be filled in using a flow pencil. However, most of the knobs I've seen don't have deep enough markings to make it economical to attempt to touch them up. Spent 8 hours re-lettering a knob for one customer, & they still didn't meet my standards.

BTW, I've started on the mold for the bonnet & boot latch lever housings. Expect to have parts by the end of the month.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #9 Verell, Aug 13, 2005
    Just a quick update:

I now have tooling to make replacement contacts (see picture) for the Vitalloni column switch used on Mondials, 3x8s, 400 series, & others.

The tools are a bit crude,however, I gained a lot of machining experience[1] while making them & they do the job. All in all It took me roughly 35 or 40 hours to come up with the first pair of usable contacts. Still takes about an hour to start with a sheet of brass & produce a contact.

[1]Experience is what you get when things don't turn out the way you intended.
    ;^)

The new contacts are more rugged, & should have less electrical resistance than the OEM ones. They are made from a heavier brass, & I lap the contact surface on a diamond honing stone to ensure they fit flat against the mating pieces.

10. gatsby

gatsby Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    half moon bay, CA
    Full Name:
    jim
    Wow! I'm Pretty impressed V.

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Verell, breathtaking, jaw dropping work. :) my engine prop rod thingy is working perfectly!

3 cheers go out to you!

12. dpospres

dpospres Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    What was the bonnet latch housing that you reffered to?

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #14 Verell, Jan 15, 2006
    FYI:
    I can now offer repair service on 330GTC & other classic Ferrari column switches.

I have just finished servicing a 330 GTC column switch, including reconstructing a broken turn signal (aka indicator) stalk. Had to re-sculpt the broken off end & make a mold from the reconstructed end. (See attached pix).

While I had it apart, I made molds of the knobs, wiper & headlight stalks.

BTW, turns out that the Maserati Bora used the same switch mechanism & knobs as the 308 series. Just that the stalk rod length & bends are quite different. Bottom line is that I can repair them using my 3x8 stalk molds.

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Verell recast the headlight stalk base on our Mondial one night after I got stranded at his house with no lights and it works great! Verell, after witnessing how long it takes to do this, all I can say is your prices are too low.

Birdman

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    OK, I'll double what you owe me for that little emergency repair. ;)

Hmm, What time was it when we finally finished & you headed for home ? 2:30 AM? Ought to add another 50% for overtime(Heheh).

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Oh boy, if you start adding up what I owe you for all the work you have done on my car I'll need to take out a second mortgage!

18. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Birdman- you got nuthin' on me. :)

I'm trying to figure out a way to dip into the retirement kitty to pay this guy off.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Did I hear mention of repair kits offered on the early 308GTB version of the hood prop rod system????

Very nice!

I fixed mine when it became obvious there was no parts support for this!

That's a complicated lil' widget that rides the rails of that system. Use it gently!

Now back to the technical discussion of Italian headlight switch components........

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    should we do a run of spares? I might just keep one in the glovebox to prevent mine from breaking.

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  22. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #22 Verell, May 4, 2006
    I've just received a column switch with a big boss broken off of the main switch body, thought you might want to follow the repair sequence. Attached is a picture of the broken switch, and of a good switch.

I've come up with several repair alternatives in rough order of estimated repair cost:

a) Cast a replacement boss onto the existing body using fibreglass reinforced polyurethante & a silicone putty mold made from my good switch.

b) Machine a replacement boss out of delrin, or Aluminum & fasten it in place.

c) Strip my good switch & make a mold of the main body. Then cast a new body.

d) Locate a damaged used switch & combine the 2.

I'm planning on starting with trying a) this weekend.

23. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    You da Man, Verell!

24. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #24 Verell, Jul 9, 2006
    For those who asked how this came out, here are the pics of the successful repair:
    - Making a mold from a good switch w/purple RTV putty
    - The newly made mold
    - Drilling holes in broken surface
    - Etched steel wire 'rebar' partially installed in holes
    - Mold in place ready for the pour
    - The newly cast boss ready for cleanup & re-assembly.

The repaired switch has been in use for over a month now, with no problems!!!!

25. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name: