Scuderia Rampante Silicone Hoses, now available! | FerrariChat

Scuderia Rampante Silicone Hoses, now available!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ricambi America, Sep 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Now in full production quantities, the Scuderia Rampante silicone hoses are available at Ricambi America:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/index.php?cPath=100056

We'll be listing up the 348 and TR kits shortly, as soon as Mike finds more batteries for my digital camera.

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is fantastic new on three fronts: For Ricambi, for David Helms, and for us Ferrari owners.

Do the kits include every single hose in our engines? Or are there some hoses that do not need replacing?

3. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looks complete to me.

4. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#4 Ricambi America, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Awesome news!!

6. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Mine are on a FedEx truck somewhere between here and Colorado. Can't wait to replace my old decrepit hoses. :D

7. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    Beer and doughnuts.....an unbeatable combination!

Just like SRI and Ricambi! :D

8. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    "Beer, Brauts, and Bands" next weekend in Estes Park town park.... only thing that could top beer and dougnuts as a combination. One day we will talk Flyboy into winding up the rubber band.

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Excellent :)!!!! I have seen those hoses in person on a fellow f-chatters car and they look like what I have seen on aircraft!!! :)

10. MRF40@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Planet Urf.
    Full Name:
    like whut? Ralph??
    I will take a set with my 30K service. Any news on the headers?

11. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I am interested in this kit for my upcoming 30k. Can you let me know what the cost would be to replace these same parts with the factory recommended components?

12. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Daniel and Dave - a STRONG combo!

I heard a rumor NASA has spec'd SRI hoses for the replacement for the space shuttle... :D

13. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Very nice ! I might be looking for a set for a 348 soon ...

14. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Daniel,

For us who don't understand a lot about cars, can you give a little info on why and when we should replace our hoses?

Thank you!

15. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Daniel ---

Will straight SR hose, in various diameters, also be available and sold as stock-by-the-foot ?

I'm doing the hoses on my Lotus this winter, and I'd like to use the SR product. I'd also like to be able to spread the word to the Lotus dorks (errr...., I mean "community") and hopefully drum up some more sales for you guys :)

16. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Call me in the office this morning... headers have been here for a week or so. Ready to roll.

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

You could replace a several of them without pulling the engine on a F355 -- but obviously, the most economical approach would be to have it done when the engine is out of the car. That way, the incremental labor to install them is considerably less.

Why replace the factory rubber hoses? Most of the factory rubber hoses are non-silicone and rather thin-walled. They're not bad hoses by any stretch, but they do have a tendency to barely make it the distance between major services. (I'll post some pictures of failed hoses in the coming days). The big fat ones coming from the water pump can indeed rupture if they aren't changed out regularly during major services because they bear the brunt of high pressure and high temps. The breather and feed hoses from the expansion tank tend to clog up like a Frito-Lay addict's arteries. (Pinch a running garden hose to about half it's size, you an imagine the similar stresses on the old Ferrari hoses.)

Are the factory rubber hoses junk? No. I don't want to suggest that. But, they really are not bespoke construction designed to survive multiple engine-out services intervals and operate continuously in track and hard-street conditions. The Scuderia Rampante hoses are.

I'll take some comparison pictures of the hose construction later this morning. The Ferrari 348, 355, TR hoses are almost all simple rubber construction. The only 'fancy' thing I can recall off the top of my head is the 550 'big fatty' hose under the plenum. (That one is un-wrapped silicone, maybe a 3-layer version). The Scuderia Rampante hoses are 5-layers of clad silicone, and wrap finished. It would take a hacksaw to puncture them.

If I'm really bored this coming weekend, I'll take some of the sample hoses from Dave, and some of the Genuine Ferrari ones, and boil them in the kitchen. We'll then put an equal weight onto each hose and measure deformation. I suspect the Ferrari ones will easily compress a measurable distance while the Scuderia Rampante hoses will show nothing.

In fact, I need to teach Luca how to fire up the boiler anyway. So it'll be a good science experiment for us, while Mom watches in horror.

18. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a complete set of Scuderia Rampante hoses on my soon to be installed 355 coolant system(Gold connector kit also)(Dave Helm's rebuilt heads as well).
    My quick observations:
    As Daniel points out, the factory hoses are good quality. Dave's are far superior.
    Most of the factory hoses looked fine. Several did have some bulging and hose clamp damage due to no outer reinforcement. I attribute this to thin wall/ adequate construction.
    Dave's hoses are far more robust. Outer shell protected. Far more inner fiber reinforcement. A well engineered and researched product.
    The factory offers adequate hose quality.
    Dave offers far superior hose quality.
    Easy choice for me personally!

19. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    Just received your email on this. Very professional Daniel. Can we organize a group buy at mates rates?

20. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Excellent idea!!!

Also, what is the gold connector kit and how much does it cost? I would be interested in both even though my service isn't due until another 3 years, where I will be taking it to FoS where I'm sure Mark will be more than happy to put all these new hoses and connectors on for me during my 30k! :D

21. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    ......count me in.

//B//

22. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    #22 chas-3, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
    You can find info on the gold connector kit here: http://www.scuderiarampanteinnovations.com/solutions.html

I didn't see the kit on Ricambi's site (if I missed it Daniel - smack me) so you may need to PM Dave for options and pricing.

23. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Mine are going on during the current engine out as I type this.

24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Both the hoses and gold connect kit?

25. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    And as usual, the least expensive car, has the most expensive kit.
    And crappy worm-gear clamps? Seriously?? How about some nice stainless t-bolt clamps for that kind of obscene money?!