THE INCREDIBLE STORY OF SANDRA WEST'S FUNERAL | FerrariChat

THE INCREDIBLE STORY OF SANDRA WEST'S FUNERAL

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Dino2010, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    #1 Dino2010, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Incredible story about a woman with an unbelievable destiny for her Ferrari.
    One article says it's not clear which Ferrari it is about.... An other article claims it's a Lusso.
    Anybody has more info on this remarkable fact? Would the car still be down there?

Sandra West's eccentric Ferrari burial still a spectacle in San Antonio after nearly 40 years - San Antonio Express-News

Thousands still flock to Sandra West's grave site where the socialite was buried in her Ferrari | Daily Mail Online

Mod: if this is a repost, please delete, thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Beautiful car. Beautiful woman. Only in Tejas!
    T

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There is lots of interesting information on Sandy West in this section, if you search for it. There are even some posts from her nephew about riding around with her in her Daytona (I think? Or was it a Dino?).

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The story was just repeated in our FCA magazine..

But as you state, the Thread here, her nephew found, and chimed in!!

Of course the car is still there.
    It was crated and capped in wet concrete.

I hope that grave robbers take note of one detail (from the FCA article)..

While the survivors battled against the provisions of the will, lovely Sandra was "temporarily interred".....meaning that by the time they put her in the drivers seat of the car, "in lingerie, positioned comfortably", it was probably not the appearance she expected, when she wrote the provision.

More zombie like, with rotten squishy parts, I would imagine....

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Her nephew shared with me, that he was given a choice between a Rolex and her extensive stamp collection.

He picked the watch, which loses time.
    He thought in retrospect, he should have taken the stamps!!!

I believe she had both later models, parked in Hollywood.

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This most amazing part of this story is what hasn't been told!!!!

There is a lurker here that has an amazing first hand story to tell!

Please POST!

Shawn

7. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I saw this additional aspect to the story alluded to in at least one other thread but if it has been told on this forum I haven't seen it. I hope the unnamed lurker will share it here or in the other thread.

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is this related to her being buried in the 330 America because it was worth less than the Daytona and already damaged?

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No one saw the car publically, (think about the multiple parties: car delivery, crating company, here come the Funeral Home, with the unearthed remains) so yes, the theory was it was the damaged car, which at the time, was the least value.

I think the picture above, in this thread is a 250 Lusso??

Man, Shawn,..if there was someone there that actually saw it go down, THAT would be interesting!

10. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I thought that came out in the old thread with the nephew. She was buried in the damaged 330 and the Rolex that was gifted to the nephew belonged to her husband Ike.

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Far more than saw it....

12. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    It was stated in one of the articles that the judge ruled that the damaged 330 not be repaired before interment. Something tells me she wouldn't have been happy about that-- seems like she would have wanted the car looking good.

I remember reading someplace that one of the stipulations made by the cemetery was that all of the fluids be drained. I wonder if the engine and gearbox were removed.

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Funny things we do. The mummies in Egypt. Mind you it's a bit grander in scale and perhaps has more to do with the after life and mans attempt to wish such for himself. But who hasn't said I want to be buried in my Ferrari or with my favorite worldly possession. Most of us are simply placeholders for the next person. Best to drive the hell out of em while you can, whatever that may be.

14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I figure my favorite possessions won't do me any good after I'm dead so I'd like to leave them to people who will value them as much as I have. Sadly, finding the right recipients is easier said than done. So I'd rather have my things sold off and the proceeds donated to my favorite cause rather than just have stuff thrown in a hole in the ground along with me. Each to their own though.

15. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    #17 Dino2010, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
    It's really a challenge to imagine in what condition this car must be, especially with the corpse inside, after 40 years.... Quite horryfying!
    Now, if one of the familymembers would have the agreement of the rest of the family to get the car out of the grave, could there be a legal problem, because of Sandra West's will? Could San Antonio block this?

Some fchatter/lawyer who could explain ?

16. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    The wood crate wasn't structural, so as it has rotted, the concrete cap which has no reinforcement has or will collapsed on the 330, crushing the car and the corpse.

Not to mention the water table of the cemetery,..... there likely isn't much of a Ferrari left .

17. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I recall reading about this sometime ago. i believe the article mentioned that the engine was not in the car. Perhaps someone knows more about this...and where it ended up?

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    If a collapse occurred, it would be seen in the soil.

This was not a normal burial or situation that was half assed.

19. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Somebody who works at the cemetery would probably know. Sounds like an interesting investigative story for a budding journalism student.

20. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    True, but anybody who worked at the cemetery in 1977, will be a pretty old man today.

Is there anybody who has legal knowledge whether the grave could ever been opened and the Ferrari be brought back to daylight and maybe driven again one day?

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm pretty sure if you search, there is video of it.

22. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Sandra West: The Most Famous Burial in San Antonio's History - The Sisters Grimm Blog

On May 19, 1977 Sandra Ilene West finally received the funeral she desired in the glare of television lights and in front of over 150 spectators. The box containing Ms. West and her beloved Ferrari 330 America was lowered into the 20 foot long grave and then covered with cement. The funeral director indicated that the cement was added as the cemetery was in a high crime area and he feared the car would be back on the street in a day!
    Today the blue Ferrari, the 1964 330 America s/n 5055 and its owner rest together under a simple stone at the San Antonio Masonic Cemetery, likely the most bizarre if not the most famous burial in San Antonio's history.

23. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This is the best comment ever. Such a cool story.