360 Failing Inspection - Battery Died | FerrariChat

360 Failing Inspection - Battery Died

Discussion in '360/430' started by JStone414, Dec 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    My battery died two months ago on my 360 (car's electrical system was left on overnight by accident) but was restarted and has been on the trickle since. I've driven the car about 100 miles since then but have failed two inspections - "Car is not ready" was the message. Any recommendations on how to get the car ready for inspection, should it be brought in for proper service, or should the battery be replaced?

2. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    #2 Keith360, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Drive it, when the battery is disconnected it looses some of its memory. The automated tests that run do so on its own schedule. I'm not talking what the technician does when he is trying to smog test your car, the tests that I am speaking of are the tests that the car makes on itself. Also the evap test needs the car to sit some amount of hours to make sure a vacuum is still held over a certain period of time. Other test require cold start below a certain temperature. You could buy a code reader and check during your drive how things are going. Also when you take it in for testing, the car should be all warmed up since most places I've gone to test as soon as you get there so they don't have to warm up the engine. The battery is another story outside of getting a good and passable test. Take the battery out and go to a battery dealer and have it tested. I went with an Interstate Battery and specifically the Advanced Glass Mat (AGM) because they don't have vents to spill inside the car. Another thought is to always use a battery maintainer when sitting for over a couple of days to ensure it doesn't happen again.

3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
  4. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
  5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Note that some early MY 360s have difficulty getting enough monitors smog ready - think MY 99 or Euro cars. Try a search if you have a 99 or Euro and see what people did to resolve - involves reflashing ECU by FNA if you are affected, if I remember correctly.

6. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Later cars take awhile to reset too...

7. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  8. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Mine is an 03 and it took a bunch of varied driving - and then some reverted on shut down, and took even more driving to get ready. I tracked them with a reader real time, and then refused to shut the car off for 30 minutes while I waited for the check :)

9. ricks

ricks Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I have an 04 spider that had the same issue. If the "drive cycle" doesn't work after a few times, the California DMV does offer dispute resolution and a referee program. Check it out online

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Just did this with my 355. Keep driving and it should work.

11. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    + 1 on the drive cycles.

12. ph12

ph12 Karting

Jun 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Ferrari has the worst drive cycle...

13. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    Thank you all. Will get some miles in after the holidays.