any1 recently try a different stereo in their FF | FerrariChat

any1 recently try a different stereo in their FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ttforcefed, Apr 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    curious if anyone has tried anything new? I upgraded my speakers and amps but thinking I will have to break down and do the head unit to get the most out of the new equipment.

2. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I wanted not to change the head unit, so did completely hidden amps, equalizer and speakers. The stereo guy assured me it would be awesome. Sadly, it is still terrible, just a different tone of terrible.

I still don't want to change the head unit, now I just listen to the engine more.

andyrichter and Idesofmarch like this.
  3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh I have a small buzz/feedback from the stereo and its annoying the crap out of me

4. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    That sounds like the installation of the amps have wrong grounding point in your FF.

Some cars are extremely sensitive to WHERE one chooses to ground (battery minus if you like) - the end result if choosing the wrong place is well buzz and other not so nice "tones". It may need the same ground point as the head unit! like a star-grounding schema.

5. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Exactly

Was there a hum before? No? Then the hum is not from the head unit, it's your amp installers. Throwing money at this is not the solution, better amps and speakers properly installed will be a big upgrade. Or crack the window, best stereo in the car.

6. RASHI 36

RASHI 36 Rookie

Jul 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Zuckerman
    i installed a subwoofer with no regrets to the bottom end,but the rest of stock system is terrible...the surround effects are even worse ...

my granturismo was much better out of the box..i wuld replace my speakers,but afraid of taking off door panels ..i like doing job myself,but these ferraris are tricky..

my subaru has better sound,its my daily driver!!

7. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    I would not put an aftermarket head unit in a Ferrari or any modern luxury car for that matter. And if you do better keep the original parts around else resale value will take a big hit...

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I'm down 230k in the car - resale value not a concern

9. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
  10. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Wldnt it make sense to go alpine or pioneer instead of clarion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If you were choosing from purely aftermarket head units then I would say yes- BUT- this unit is Factory sanctioned. Might seem silly.. but.. I am making a huge assumption here... Id think they will have tested the unit and know it works.

You know what I would do if it was me.

I'd keep the stock head unit because I don't like the look of aftermarket stuff. Then I'd get something like a Bit One to convert the factory head unit signal to line level that works with amps, and Id replace all the speakers with better ones while making sure we use the factory enclosures and covers- or if necessary- Id make it look factory. But thats just me.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lol I do
    I'm less concerned with factory approved crap and more so just what's the best available, once I decide im going aftermarket that is!

14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    In for a penny huh?

15. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    There is no best in audio ... there is the good, great and $$$ esoteric. It's all taste at the top.

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what's the best in your opinion?

17. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  19. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You know I don't really do half measures. But as I said before I like the stock look- and also the stock functionality/ interaction with the other displays around the car, so Id put a few thousand into a nice system and enjoy it. That being said, if its just about getting rid of a hum, I think that is possible but I also think you are likely to turn up other issues- maybe worse sound quality etc.

As to the best head unit out there, I really don't know. I would want to speak with the guys who do this stuff all the time. My guess is looking at the Alpine units would at least give you an idea of what type of features are commonly available.

20. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    As I work in audio, none of these consumer parts are appealing. To me the radio in the car is a non factor. Never use it. Any car stereo is not up to my standards.

My point was that in audio, personal taste is more important than a brand name. And always, we need to hear the units for our self, and choose.

None are best. Features? Those can be scored.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if the clarion allows for continued use of the navigation arrows and song titles etc on the dash then that's a real reason to go with the clarion

22. RASHI 36

RASHI 36 Rookie

Jul 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Zuckerman
    its the speakers that do not give it a great natural sound,but my sub really helps overcome that a bit

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I already upgraded by speakers to audison voces with an alpine amp

24. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013