P0421 / P0431 Trouble Codes (Catalytic Converter) ... anyone have good fix? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

P0421 / P0431 Trouble Codes (Catalytic Converter) ... anyone have good fix?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bisel, May 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Here is how the Fabspeed connects
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    This thread should be made a 'sticky'.

3. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    A great checklist of options in this thread.

My current set up: Agency Power headers, 200 cell sports cats and Kline exhaust. Now with or without the o2 spacers I get 430/431 codes. They come on after an hour or so driving. Previously, without the spacers, I got lean fuel mix (2193) precat errors. Need to play around with combos to get the pre and post o2 sensors in the right tolerance range not to throw the errors. I also completely overlooked an overnight reset.

4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    02 spacers with mini cats or regulars??

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Did I mention that I get no CEL now? Yeah, just replaced the 3K mile factory cats with 20K mile factory cats (Stock 3K mile headers, valved CS can).

Nothing about this issue will ever make complete sense. There is a ghost in these machines.

whatheheck likes this.
  6. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Some cars throw codes some don’t
    At the end these codes are about cat efficiency and if you replace any kind of component that has cats in them (headers and/or the main cats) you might have codes (or fix them like happened to you)

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    That's the bottom line.
    Also cat codes do not alter how the car drives or performs one little bit.
    Best advice I got from F-chat was to get a little round sticker to cover over the CEL. :)

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The ABS faulted on my K1200LT once, and I was 300 miles from the nearest BMW motorcycle shop and in no hurry to deal with it, so I used a square of black electrical tape. :)

9. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    There are many conditions that may trigger the Check Engine Light (CEL). And many are spurious or relatively insignificant. But some are significant that without attention paid can lead to costly repairs or pose a safety issue. Although it may be humorous to suggest covering the light so you can better ignore it, I think it is better advice to understand the reason and take action to prevent its occurrence.

Raconteur and whatheheck like this.
  10. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    90 degree o2 spacers with no mini cats. I mistakenly thought they had mini cats, but didn't read the fine print.

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Very well said and I agree 1,000%

Dan

12. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Went for a drive today ... about 75 miles with the Big Daddies Garage mini-cats installed. Recall that these mini-cats also act as O2 extenders as well.

No Check Engine Light. The distance may not be enough to have a high degree of assurance that I will not get a CEL, but still keeping my fingers crossed.

Steve

hessank, whatheheck and G. Pepper like this.
  13. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Steve did you do the overnight reset? I had a recurrent CEL after driving 80 miles or so after regular resets (clearing codes with computer and also killing the battery switch for short periods of time)
    (I don’t want to Jinx it) but ONLY after the overnight reset the CEL never came back. Give it a try if it comes back

14. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I had all adaptive parameters reset a week ago ... but it was before I installed the mini-cats. If the codes come back, I will do a full reset again ... i.e., overnight battery off.

Steve

15. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Hopefully they will not come back, Let us know

16. fiat

fiat Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    graziano
    Contact steve made at mase engineering in Jacksonville fl. Solved my problem many years ago. 03 360 3 pedal.agency power headers fab speed cat bypass capristo level 3 exhaust. I tried all mentioned solution listed they didn't work.

whatheheck likes this.
  17. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have considered an ECU tune. Am I correct that the ECU tune ignores the codes and therefore suppresses the Check Engine Light? I am concerned that the codes would still be present and the vehicle may not pass emissions testing.

Steve

18. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    That is correct, a tune will prevent some readiness monitors to be completed. So depending on your state regulations you might not pass smog.
    Did the CEL come back?

19. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Since installing the Big Daddies Garage mini-cats, I have not had the CEL come back. I do not have 100% confidence that the problem is solved as I do not believe I have put enough miles on the car to repeat the conditions where it did appear before. I need to go for a continuous drive of at least 1 to 2 hours before I can have better confidence. I will keep you updated.

Steve

20. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Although not fully confident yet, do you have:
    - all emission monitors set
    - no CEL, i.e. no codes
    - no pending codes

21. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    This is a good point most CEL will happen as soon as all the monitors show completed, so if you have all of them completed and no CEL then you are most likely on the other side

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Monitoring your progress. Bigg Daddy fixed my CEL on my 355, FYI. Tubi headers, cat delete.

I’d like to get rid of the precats on my CS eventually.

23. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    On Feb 17, I installed the Big Daddies Garage Mini-cats. Had all adaptive parameters cleared using an SD2 diagnostic tester. I had posted earlier that I ordered two mini-cats and two 90 degree adapters. The 90-degree adapters cannot be easily threaded into the catalytic converter without dropping the exaust, so I installed the mini-cats without the 90-degree adapter. See post #95 https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/p0421-p0431-trouble-codes-catalytic-converter-anyone-have-good-fix.552866/page-4#post-145825349

Fast forward to present ... No more codes. I have driven car many times ... mostly short trips with two trips of 75 and about 100 miles each. My configuration:
    • 2004 Ferrari 360 Modena
    • Fabspeed headers without pre-cats. Headers are wrapped.
    • Stock Ferrari catalytic converters
    • Big Daddies Garage mini-cats
    • Ferrari racing exhaust
    Some months ago I purchased a pair of Fabspeed mini-cats, but I sold them. I installed those mini-cats along with a cat-delete pipe, but the codes re-appeared. I decided to re-install the stock cats because the cat-delete pipe made everything much too loud for me. I thought that I would not need the Fabspeed mini-cats because the stock cats were re-installed. I sold them. But a month or so later, the codes came back. The stock headers were likely the contributing factor. I decided to purchase new mini-cats. I got Big Daddies mini cats and 90-degree extenders.

I believe the Big Daddies Garage mini cats are every bit the equal to Fabspeed's and much lower cost. Here is visual comparison:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The Fabspeed mini-cat is about twice the size / weight of the Big Daddies mini-cat.

My experience is that you do not need the 90-degree (or the 0-degree) extender. I installed Big Daddies mini-cat directly on the Ferrari catalytic converter and seems to fit and work fine. Besides, unless you are willing to drop the exhaust on the 360, you won't be able to install the extenders. The Fabspeed mini-cat comes with a right angle adapter, but the mini-cat itself is about the same distance outside the exhaust stream as Big Daddies' mini-cat.

One thing I did not try ... Big Daddies has a straight stainless steel O2 extender for $15 each. If you do a search, you can find many of these for $10 to $20 each. Maybe even less. It might be worth a try to install the plain vanilla extender first. I saw on Amazon you can get an extender kit where you can piece together the parts to try different extension lengths. ... https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Angled-Engine-Exhaust-Extension/dp/B00B1U6I54/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_bs_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5W57D036P2JKJR8VQQ41

OK. Long story made short ... The Big Daddies mini-cats seem to have resolved the issue of getting the P0421 and P0431 codes. I will update if they come back.

Steve

whatheheck likes this.
  24. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for the update Steve. Great news !

25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the updates Steve.

Glad to hear your CEL is now resolved!

Dan