550 fuel pumps replacement...? | FerrariChat

550 fuel pumps replacement...?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F456M, Mar 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi. I have what I believe are the fuel pumps that was in the car when it was new. Normally, a pump has a certain lifetime and they don’t last forever. I am thinking about replacing my pumps just to eliminate a break down because of pump faliure. So the question is: is this a standard for example Bosch fuel pump? Do you know which type and model? Shouldn’t be too difficult to replace I would guess?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    By all means carry a spare, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The pumps tend to last forever, but the covers crack and leak and the foam holders disentigrate. If they are not leaking yet and the fuel filters are not full of foam, wait until one of them is to replace.

4. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Is

Right mcnow my

5. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I would go ahead & purchase the parts if you can find them in stock, and simply hold them for installation at some point in the future.

Some of these parts, such as the foam pump holders and anti vibration pads tend to be difficult to find at times, so you don't want to be scrambling for out of stock or NLA parts if/when you need to change the pumps in the future.

There are also aftermarket metal rear covers which are a great improvement over the OEM plastic covers as they do not crack. I believe GT Car Parts in the US sell these, and either Eurospares or Superformance in the UK have them.

F456M likes this.
  6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

Thank you. I will probably change them next winter.

7. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Don't both pumps need to fail for the car to break down? Couldn't one continue operating the car (in emergency) should one pump suddenly fail?

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Usually they do not fail, the plastic covers crack or the filters fill up with foam, slowing fuel flow drastically.

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    If I park my 550 at an angle with very little fuel in the tank, and then after some time start it back up, the engine seen to run on six cylinders. Then if I drive out of the angle and to a flat surface, suddenly the other six cylinders come back. So I doubt the fuel is fed to both banks with a «cross over» pipe to feed the two banks. I don’t know... Anyway, it is not good to run an engine without the proper fuel pressure for more than a few seconds. To take the pumps apart, clean or change filters and maybe even replace the pumps, would be a good thing to prevent lean-out and possible engine problems. My opinion is that if a fuel pump has lasted twenty years, it is about time to let it retire! My Chevrolet Avalanche fuel pump last exactly 185.000 kms. and cost a fortune to replace every time as the exhaust and tank must be taken out of the car. Both times, it happened at the absolute worst imaginable place and the replacement really ****ed up my work. I just imagine the 550 pumps might give up on a long journey (probably during easter vacation or something like that) in the middle of nowhere.... Have to leave the car at some questionsble workshop, rent a car etc. Maybe a bit parnoid yes, but this is a fact. It is better to replace during winter time in my own garage and order more parts if needed when you take them apart.

10. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

They are not redundant. Each pump feeds one side of the engine, and there is no crossover pipe to join them. The philosophy at the time was if anything went wrong with one bank of the engine (ignition, fuel, etc.), the Motronic ECU powering that side would go into "limp" mode, shut down that bank and the other side of the engine would continue running and provide enough power to get home or to a shop safely.

F456M and root like this.
  11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks for the info. That means actually that one should have two fuel pressure gauges on top of the dash :)

12. VS2K

VS2K Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    NE
    Is the above 170511R gasket necessary to seat the fuel pump into the basket? Or can it be done without a rubber surround like this so as to avoid future deterioration issues?

13. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
  14. VS2K

VS2K Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    NE
    Thanks!