Bizzar problem, ABS and Break light on, then key would not release from ignition. | FerrariChat

Bizzar problem, ABS and Break light on, then key would not release from ignition.

Discussion in '348/355' started by DrStranglove, Aug 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Bizzar problem, ABS and Break light on, then key would not release from ignition and car would not restart.

Took the 348 (1994, 56000 miles) for a spin. Started up fine and was on battery tender. Up drive way I noticed the ABS and the break light were on. They generally come on at ignition but go off after a few secounds. End of neighborhood they are still on and I noticed bad lag and unresponsiveness in the breaks which scares me.

Pulled over to safe spot to restart, turn off engine, and then it would not turn back on. I could not turn the key the whole way. It would not even try to crank. Take key out, wait, try again.... nothing

Ok, try a few more times and the ignition will not even turn the full way PLUS now the key will not come back and remove.

Go to the kill switch. Flip that and weight for about 2 min to let anything electronic reset. Try again and nothing.... AND still the key will not remove.

So now I am in panic mode and call te wife to come get my 6 year old who is with me. But I am on a slight hill. So I get him in, depress clutch take off parking break, put it in 1st and pop clutch start the car. (Yea... never thought I would do that in a Ferrari either!)

Now it is running just fine. No lights, nothing. Like it never happened.

WTF? Anyone have any clue what this was before I have FerrariOldMan tear this thing apart?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sounds like a mechanical issue with the ignition lock contacts. Wear and tear? Lubricate and evaluate… or pull the lock barrel apart and investigate.

There is a message thread somewhere on the 348/355 forum showing pics of the internals.

New lock sets are expensive (if available). If memory serves correctly, I don’t think anyone has found a perfect alternative (rewiring may be necessary). Fiat locks have been tried.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Thanks everyone. I cant get the key to barly turn now. Just odd that is the reaction to busted wires. Anyway, I just bought a new ignition system from @Ricambi America

Qavion likes this.