Wanted - 360/430 Spider Wind Stops | FerrariChat

Wanted 360/430 Spider Wind Stops

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by EastMemphis, Dec 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 EastMemphis, Dec 15, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    If you replaced the wind stops on your Spider and still have the old ones lying around, I want them badly! I've made replacement gaskets for these things and need to test them out.

Once I've fixed them, I'll send them back (you pay shipping) and you'll be free to sell them and recoup part of the investment you made by buying new ones. If you've bought aftermarket wind stops, you can throw them in the trash and replace them with a more OEM look.

Here's one of the roll bar wind stop gaskets fresh out of the mold.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Please note: I AM NOT SELLING THESE GASKETS ON FCHAT SO DO NOT ASK!!! (thanks)

colorfull, 57garagebos and Mimmo Blue like this.
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Here's the first installed gasket in an actual frame with "no see-um" screen. The original 30/50 mesh screen is absolutely unobtainable so I used 20 mesh nylon in this example. I've got a number of other screen fabrics on order to see what will work best.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

It took about ten minutes to mount the screen and gasket into this original 360 frame. The process is pretty simple and involves working around the gasket pushing it a little at a time with my thumbs so that the tension is even across the screen.

When the gasket is almost all the way in, I went around the outside with a snap blade knife and trimmed the excess screen.

To finish it off, I flipped it upside down and pushed the back of the frame against the table surface and that drove it in the rest of the way.

The screen could have been aligned better but since this is only a test to see how the gasket holds up with the screen installed, it worked great. The screen is literally tight as a drum and stretched over the slightly curved form. This gasket was cast using Shore 60 A urethane. I have harder Shore 80 A urethane on order to see if that works better than 60 A. The 60 A seems very close but a little harder might work better with this application. Shore 80 A is about the same as tire rubber.

3. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

nice work

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. Gianni360

Gianni360 Karting

Jan 1, 2019
    OrlAndo, FL
    Full Name:
    Jon V
    Do you ever intend to sell the gaskets? If so I am interested.

5. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I have a full set if you want to fix the
    Up PM an address I will send the to you

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

EastMemphis likes this.
  6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I have one windstop I removed from a client's car, that I could send.
    I also have a different client's car that needs them repaired or replaced.
    Are you planning to make the rubber available?

EastMemphis likes this.
  7. Joe Calamita

Joe Calamita Rookie

Jan 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joseph Calamita
    EastMemphis likes this.
  8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks to all the folks who have sent me (or are sending me) wind stops (that's what they're actually called). I have enough to complete development of the gaskets and test them out on a good number of frames. I've found what appears to be a very close, if not exact match, for the screen fabric as well.

As for selling these, I talked to Daniel at Ricambia and he stated that there is no market for these gaskets so I will likely not be selling them. I developed these gaskets as an experiment to see what it takes to produce high quality rubber trim components for another project I'm working on which will require about a dozen custom gaskets, trim pieces and weather seals.

Again Thanks and Merry Christmas to all...

9. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike

Of course there is a market. Put me on you list if you decide to sell them. I'll buy at least two sets.

If you don't sell can you please share where you sourced the materials?

Thanks,
    Mike

10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Mike - I wrote up an article that describes exactly how I made them and what materials I used. It's got a few bits to add as I haven't finished the journey, but here it is if you want to give it a read.

https://www.ferrari360.org/2021/12/creating-automotive-trim-using-two-part.html

If you see any typos, please send me a PM. Thanks.

11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    nice work! Do you repair these for hire? If so, I've got a couple that could use it. Plus the center one.

EastMemphis likes this.
  12. Techguru

Techguru Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    JW
    Please consider selling a small batch to the folks that appreciate and value what you accomplished. PM me if you decide to. I’d take two sets also. Absolutely amazing article and work! Cheers. Jon.

EastMemphis likes this.
  13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I can see why Ferrari never offered gaskets and screens as separate parts. They are difficult to set properly and require not only a trained hand but a frame to pre-stretch the screen. So to properly address this, a service would have to be offered where the old frames are sent in and refurbished with new gaskets and screens. But as Daniel at Ricambia already pointed out to me, there is no commercial market for these things. Selling few here and there is a hobby and not worthy of all it takes to make it work.

Now maybe in five or ten years things will be different as virtually every 360/430 Spider will have failing gaskets by that time. My car has good looking gaskets now but they are hard, fragile, and are on the verge of cracking. In a few years, they will need to be replaced.

Techguru likes this.
  14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #14 EastMemphis, Jan 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    Update: Final generation of the gaskets are underway. The results look pretty good. I still have to make the production quality molds so it will be another week or two before I have final representations ready.

Thanks to those who have sent in their old wind stops. I will probably have them ready to ship back in maybe three weeks if I'm lucky?

I have to add that this journey has been filled with lots of data points. There's only so much that can be learned by reading and watching videos. There's more that can be learned by screwing up and eventually getting it right. After making these gaskets (several times!), I now have the tools, skills and knowledge to make the parts I need for my other project.

For the folks with older cars that have rubber that's no longer available or ridiculously priced, producing aftermarket parts with urethane and silicone is absolutely doable for a reasonable cost in time and materials.

Eric in Chicago likes this.
  15. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Having replaced my windstopper gaskets with some off the shelf rubber extrusions (not a perfect fit) I dare say THERE IS A MARKET.
    No one wants to pay for a whole assembly from Ricambi but I'll bet they will gladly pay for the part that actually rots/cracks.

EastMemphis likes this.
  16. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Update: After weeks of failing, I finally have the molds and the process to cast these gaskets. I also found a decent fabric that's a heck of a lot easier to install in the wind stops. The reason for all the failing is that I switched from a more or less hobby urethane to an industrial one. The industrial material, which is far stronger and UV resistant, has a very high surface tension that causes the castings to fail if everything isn't perfect. The industrial urethane requires a preheated mold and has a setting time in minutes vs. nearly an hour for the less industrial material. That means the process has to be perfect or all I have is a gloppy mess and a failed casting.

I'm going to try and make a few sets of these gaskets, perhaps six or so (depending on how I can stretch my stock of the material).

Once I have some inventory, I'll offer them for sale in the classifieds as required by the rules of engagement for this forum.

17. Techguru

Techguru Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    JW
    I have a full set of 3 originals windscreens. All cracked and unusable. Can I send them to you? Willing to pay for them to be refurbished and shipping. Let know. Thanks.

18. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    From what I've seen, when the gaskets get to the point of cracking, the frames themselves are likely in need of sanding and repainting. That's incredibly labor intensive. There's also the matter of what people are satisfied with. I might be happy with the results but the customer thinks it sucks. I'd rather just supply the parts and let the customer do their own refurbishment to their satisfaction.

The new screen material I've found is far simpler to use than what I started with. It's a lot more DIY friendly.

I'll put up a classified ad and a DIY instruction guide when they're ready.

19. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Thanks for the update - will be nice to see these repairable

20. Techguru

Techguru Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    JW
    okay. Understood. Please let me know if/when you have a kit ready. I’d like to try to do my set. I’m rather handy when it come to wrenching and work on my car. I created an entire 360 film protection kit from scratch in CAD using a cricket cutter. It came out great. I was thinking about posting that on the forum to see if anybody wanted it or needed the files. I wasn’t too happy with the state of the OEM film that I purchased last year. It arrived cloudy and yellow on the edges and clearly it was dated. So I created my own way to make a perfect set every time. Do you think anyone would be interested in that?

EastMemphis likes this.
  21. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John