01C or 02C The first ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

01C or 02C The first ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Gilles, Apr 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Beautiful Jim!

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I was really surprized at how "Modern" this car felt to drive. My Duesenberg (Which does weigh 7000 lbs) feels very Vintage/Heavy. Perhaps it's also because that one in HUGE. 002C felt light, responsive, and stuck to the roundabout I drove around twice. The gearbox wasn't bad at all. In 1947 this must have seemed really advanced. The sound is not to be believed. Wow. We're going to really give her a going though and then I'm heading for Vermont.
    Best

PS. How do you feel about the SF Shield? Of course it originally didn't have one. This one is a sticker which if I keep the Shield I'll paint on. Even though it's not correct I kind of like it.

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I like it without, but, its your car, do what makes you happy.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'm absolutely thrilled for you and the car you stole.

Judging by your reaction, I think you may be a mite bit distracted by this, in the sense that there will be moments when you can't even taste the food you're eating and others where you can see every molecule. Enjoy that extra spring in your step and the epiphanies that come with pure delight.

Of all the cars you've owned, would you say this one is the one that put you furthest into the zone?

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Tom
    It's kinda of like your kids. They're QUITE different but you Love them the same. That said teenage girls vs college grad boys are a bit more hand on the throttle if you know what I mean.
    Best

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I can dig it. Buckle up and go have some fun.

7. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Buckle up? They didn't have seatbelts in 1948 :)

8. prova66

prova66 Rookie

Oct 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    aka: guido veloce
    ...so why didn't 01C/010I make it onto the lawn this year?...it was there...in a trailer, but was not allowed to be shown...

p66

9. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    it's funny how cars are thought of in both mythology and reality...a good friend had a touring bodied 166 coupe..at the same time we both had and raced t-37 bugattis...to my taste, the bug with 45-50 lbs of air in the tires felt more predictable and safer to drive fast than the ferrari...[the bug was way easier to shift as well] i still think there's a lot to be said for solid axles and HUGE drum mechanical brakes.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Do you know for fact that it wasn't allowed as opposed to not invited? When was 01C's chassis restamped 010I and built up as a 166I by Ferrari? Do some believe this did not happen?

(This is not my car 002C but another car)

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Jim, it has long been accepted that the factory stripped 02C, restamped it "020I" (turning the "C" into a "0") and sold it to Franco Cornacchia in 1949. Because of this, many had suspected that 010I had also been restamped from 01C. When with Symbolic in 1996, a lead plug stamped "010I was removed from the chassis, revealing the stamping "01C" underneath.

Of course, I wasn't there to witness this, but I'm sure Bill Noon can provide photos/documentation. As far as I'm aware, no one has disputed the claim that 010I was 01C.

12. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #87 Aardy, Sep 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Maybe this old post should be repeated...

Tino Martinoli was a mechanic with a shop in Rome and eventually came to America as a mechanic with the Ferrari Indy team in the 50s. He later worked for Barlow than established his own shop in Hollywood, called Marcor.

Tino actually repaired a main bearing spun in practice, so that the car could run in the race in which Ferrari gained it's first victory ever.

Tino always implied that the first car was 01C and it became 010I. This was mentioned by me in a number of letters to the editor in Forza and other Ferrari magazines over the last 10 years or so...

PS: For those who don't know tyhe name Tino Martinoli, he was the person who built the AMP/Alfa 6c2300 special that ran in the MM in 1948....contrary to popular belief the AMP stands for Alfa Martinoli Prete, and NOT Alfa Maserati Prete.

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks then why wasn't it allowed at Pebble? Or wasn't it out there for Pebble but another event and the person who posted that it wasn't allowed at Pebble mistaken? (First time Poster Prova 66)

Best

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #90 Napolis, Sep 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    What was the date of the restamping? 1949 as well?

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    This is the reason that IMHO anonymous posters should not be allowed in this section. If it not true, the posting that it was not permitted "on the lawn", someone at FCHAT should know who made it.

17. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    It's my belief that 01C might have actually been stamped 0010I as early as 1947, before it was sold to "Groppo Inter" of Sterzi and Troubetskoy.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Was this after 002C was sold?
    Best

19. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I beleive it was before 002C was ever sold..

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Do you know when 0010I first raced?

21. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Yes, but as 001C, not as 0010I. I have no evidence of when the stamp was changed; only a belief it might have been done as early as late 1947.

22. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I'm going to a concours in Palm Springs on March 1st and 01C is supposed to be coming out of hiding. Does anyone have an update on this car? Or is this 0010I? Where is that car?

Thanks

23. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

The "problem" is that no one has absolute proof that 01C became 0101I. There seems to be evidence that it did, and for a long time, based on what I had seen, I belive this to be the case. I have now seen other things to make me question if 01C did in fact become 0101I As far as I am aware, Marcel has never expressed his opinion...

24. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
  25. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Thanks, I never thought reading 17 pages of cross members and stamped plugs would be so interesting, but it was. :) I don't know exactly what will turn up for the show but I now have an incredibly detailed picture of what to look for.