1983 QV - Metric or Non-Metric Wheels | FerrariChat

1983 QV - Metric or Non-Metric Wheels

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MauroV, May 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    I collected my Mondial from the Ferrari main dealership in Prato, Tuscany yesterday and drove it home for the first time in about 3 years after a fairly extensive restoration.

The car was with Ferrari the last few weeks to get a Scheda Tecnica, a sort of certificate of conformity. This one page of A4 cost 1000 Euros but I need it to import the car from UK to Italy.

The good news is the car really is a Ferrari, all the numbers match, and I found out it was built in February 1983. The bad news is that I need to change the 17" 348 wheels currently fitted for 16" wheels or metric wheels.

I was expecting this, although I was surprised that Ferrari specify the non-metric 16" for a car as old as mine. So at least I have some choice. But this leaves me with a few questions which I would be very grateful if someone could help me with.

Metric Tyre Specification - Front: 220/55VR390 Rear: 240/55VR390

- So the front tyres are narrower than the rears. Does this mean that the wheels themselves are also narrower at the front. I have an offer of a set of 180 TR 390 at a good price. Is that size ok all round just with different size tyres fitted or do I need to fit 180 TR 190 wheels at the front?

Non-Metric Tyre Specification - Front: 205/55VR16 Rear: 225/55VR16

-Superformance sells sets of 16" wheels at a reasonable price. The set comes with different wheel sizes front to back and the tyres are cheaper to buy.

But what do you think? My dilemma is whether or not to choose the cheap set of metric wheels with the expensive TRX tyres or the more expensive non-metric wheels with the cheaper tyres. That's just an economic decision which I can take for myself but is there any other reason, performance or styling perhaps, to choose either metric or non-metric wheels and tyres?

All opinions are very welcome.

Many thanks

Mauro

2. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Mauro

Great to hear the restoration is done (any photos?) It really depends what you want to do with her - drive her or just keep her stored.

If you were to drive her, I would use the cheaper tyres option however as you have taken the effort/expense to get it classiche certified - sounds like you want to keep her as Original as possible, i.e. back to original specification.

Cheers

3. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    L,

Congrats on getting the car sorted. My mondial experience with TRXs is that the swap to the narrower front wheels (yes it’s not just the tyres) improves low speed steering (ease of turning) and the newer tyre profiles offer better high speed performance for fast road use and tracking. Occasionally the TRX wait time for tyres can be a while.

If you like the look of the 348 17”, and I find the mondial handles well with them, (I have TRX originals, 328 nonABS and 348 17s) can’t you just refit them after certification? I assumed that Italy is full of cars with legally updated wheels, especially as they are still Ferrari.

Hope that is of some help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Sadly, in Italy, you can't refit the incorrect size wheels. Otherwise in the event of a crash the insurance wouldn't pay out and even the tyre fitters check the registration document and will only fit the correct size. Otherwise I would just fit the cheapest set of correct size wheels and tyres then put the 348 wheels back on as soon as the inspection was completed. I much prefer the look of the 348 wheels although the steering is really heavy with them fitted. I have 215/50 ZR 17 on the front and 245/45ZR17 on the back at the moment.

5. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Gosh, in the UK you should notify your insurance but most companies , and for Classics, don’t care about something like that. Agree, it’s a Fudge at the roadside to climb out of the ditch and try to swap wheels back before the police arrive!! Plus you don’t have the back seats for storeage

I would still try the later set with narrow fronts. They should improve handling - not sure if the 348s on the 308 have a different offset or other impact. Just obviously make sure the wheel and tyre diameter adds up to the original size - then the handling should be fine and your speedo etc will be accurate (as it ever was). Will give you easier / more tyre options too.

6. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Does anyone have a Mondial 8 or early QV with the metric 220/55VR390 tyres on the front and 240/VR390 tyres on the rear? Can you confirm the associated wheel sizes that match, are they 180 TR 190 on the front and 180 TR 390 on the rear or are they 180 TR 390 all round?

7. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Lovely car, not sure why I thought you had a 308 !?!?! I’m back home in an hour and will measure my various rims. I have original rims from an 82 QV (early-ish as it has black plenum); also the non-abs alternatives (I think they are the none and ones, got them a long time ago, either way they are the ones you want for a q.v. I’ll let you know what tyre sizes I used in the latter. Hopefully some one will get back even sooner. Thanks for pics looking great.

8. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Here’s a front when I ran them, it’s the convex wheel. Used Pirelli P6000s seemed fine on toad and track.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I recommend using the Superformance set and modern tires.
    Better performance, quieter, less expensive.
    On my car, I am using the tire sizes and suspension settings of the later 16" Mondials.
    Works perfectly.

10. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I side of the Speedline’s (front):

View attachment 2547552

Just realised no measurement! But they’re 16” and run fronts on 225/55 to hit the ratio.

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Have you checked the Owner''s Manual for your model year?

These are from my files:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I created the second image a few years ago based on data from all of the Owner's Manuals.

If I recall, the first one is from the 3.2 OM (as an example), so yours will be different.

13. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Looks like I posted a rear at 225/55 woops!

Hopefully this pic isn’t locked (fed up with Tapatalk app at moment!!)

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, according to the parts book, 130905 is from an '88 328 (rear). What's the offset? I can't see it in the photo.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/130905-wheel-r.html

The front should show this:

Above photo from this archive thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/228598.html

15. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    That’s correct I used 2nd hand 328 16”, the non-abs (I think, or the other ones) fit fine. I ran them for a while on P6000s and only changed as I went to 17” 348s. It was a while ago but got a v good deal, with enough mm on them. Cheaper than new replicas and I think they were lighter too (always had an unsprung weight phobia!!!)

16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  17. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike

Attached Files:

18. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Thanks Mike. That would work for me too. Do you know if the actual wheels on the front are narrower than those on the back or is the tyre width the only difference?

How is the steering on yours at low speed. I've got 215/50ZR17s on the front and the steering is really heavy when trying to park.

Many thanks

Mauro

19. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Actually, Wade has already answered my question. I need 160TR390 or 7Jx16 on the front and 180TR390 or 8Jx16 on the rear. Thank you all for your help with this.

Mauro

20. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hi Mauro. Are your 348 rims standard or modified offset?

If standard, your offset is 2mm less than the original QV wheels, which reduces steering effort, at least theoretically, a little.
    But your tires are 10mm wider than what Ferrari specified, namely 205s. This increases steering effort, at least theoretically, a little.

Could you tell me the vertical distance form the rim centre to the ground, at standard tire pressure?
    If your wheel diameter is different it will change the geometry too and therefore your steering effort too.
    With the laden radius, I can give you a better idea about your current setup.

Have you actually measured the camber, caster and toe-in of your car with 2 x 75kg in the front seats?
    If not, I would and adjust according to the book if it's out of specs.

Do the rear too :)