348 - 348 Speedo trouble | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 348 Speedo trouble

Discussion in '348/355' started by raoulfilippi, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Good to know it!
    Thanks a lot for the info.
    I'll check for this kit!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It was ///Mike who had the "kits", but he's no longer active here. Last post was June or July of last year and last visit was March 16, 2019. I tried reaching out awhile back... but no response.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

raoulfilippi likes this.
  3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  4. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
  5. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Good find. Very interesting to see..Hope you can get it repaired.

raoulfilippi likes this.
  6. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Hopefully, it should be.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Reading though the deep dive thread you'll find a "lessons learned". In other words, fixing the damaged item didn't fix the problem. As such, my newly repaired speedo got fried after I reinstalled it. Might have caused a dash fire as well if I wasn't watching it at the time. Turns out, there was a short in the system that was feeding voltage to the wrong circuit.

Hence my warnings about trouble-shooting the wiring first.

Good luck, hope your adventure is less dramatic.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Qavion and raoulfilippi like this.
  9. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Hi wade, yes, I’ve seen your “adventure”, it was a “big lesson”, thanks for the warning.
    Well, at the end it has been something something related to the wiring, how you have solved it?

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Details are in the thread, but it was related to the seat belt system ECU. So your "cause" may be elsewhere since, I assume, you have no mouse motor seat belts - passive restraint system (= active belts with manual lap belts).

raoulfilippi likes this.
  11. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    As I’m not an expert what should I control in wiring ?
    I’ve read about pin 2 and red/white wire but I didn’t catch what I have to check.
    May you please summarize?
    Thanks

12. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Exactly, just normal seatbelt, no motorizations

13. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    #38 raoulfilippi, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Ok, lets try to get the current state of play in all this matter.
    If I’ve understood correctly the pin 2 sited in the component 115 should show zero (and here the first problem, since my plug is not round shaped with the position of pins placed as shown above).
    Here the two scenarios copied from the topic linked above:

Voltage at speedo connector with speedo and sensor disconnected, battery connected, key off,

Right values:

G/W: 0 volts
    Blk: 0 volts
    Y/R: 0 volts
    R/B: 0 volts
    W/Y: 0 volts

Wrong values:

G/W: 0 volts
    Blk: 0 volts
    Y/R: 0 volts
    R/B: 10.24 volts
    W/Y: 0 volts

In case of scenario #2, probably there is some shortcircuit somewhere. So, again, this means that I need to follow the path of the red&white wire until I'll arrive somewhere (I don’t have any idea about where, probably to an ECU) where I’ll discover the evil. Am I right?

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you do have an unexpected voltage on R/B, it may be possible that your car did, originally, have a passive seat belt system and that not all the components have been deactivated.

Because R/B is connected to R/N from the speed sensor, you might also expect an unexpected voltage at pin 2 on connector 115. If you do find an unexpected voltage at pin 2, also check pin 5 (male side). Anyway, simply disconnect plugs on the R/B & R/N line until you lose the unexpected voltage at the speedometer.

Do you know how to access connectors "D" and "A" on the passenger footwell relay panel? and where to find the passive seat belt ECUs?

raoulfilippi likes this.
  15. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Thanks for the clarification. Actually I have no idea on where those (D and A connectors) are located.
    I suppose near the fuse panel. It isn’t?
    It seems also that in 115 is conveyed something else, probably the 1/4 (or maybe 5/8) ECU, it is possible?
    May be this that generate problems?

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #41 Qavion, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Unfortunately, these connectors are on the back of the relay panel. You have to fold down the relay panel to see them. The 348 panel is probably similar to the 355's panel. There is only one bolt holding the relay panel in, but you have to know which bolt. It is on the outboard side of the panel (half way up). After you have removed the bolt, slide the panel outboard a few centimeters. There are two locating pins on the inboard side which keep the panel in place. Then carefully fold down the panel.

There are lots of interesting things behind this panel that you probably didn't know existed :p

On the left hand side of my diagram is a coloured graphic of the relay panel which shows the connector and pin numbering. Connector "D" is the larger yellow one. You can check voltages on the pins without removing the connectors, but for proper fault isolation, you may need to remove them. They can be very tight.

Connector 115 has a few other wires going through it, but none seem to carry live battery power, so I don't know why you would get voltage on the RN wire (unless you have a faulty passive seat belt system). This rectangular connector will carry the same information as the circular one. Here is Miroljub's famous graphic:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146734949/

raoulfilippi likes this.
  17. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Good to know it!
    So the ECU of the seatbelts are behind the relay panel too?
    Therefore if don't have those ECU I should expect no voltage on the pins of the plug (male side). I mean this one:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this means no shortcircuit, so practically I can proceed with the board repair and that's all?

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Wade will be the better guy to ask about that. He took these photos of the mousetrack ECUs

348 Speedo Burned Internals

I couldn't be 100% sure. The presence of no unusual voltages is only half the equation. You could have a short on the output side of the speedometer. As mentioned before, the speedometer feeds the Motronics ECU. You might also have incorrect voltages on the RB/RN line with the key in the RUN/ON position

Note that if you are checking for improper live power at connector 115, be sure to check for voltages on the pins and the sockets. Note also that on the F355, there is a live wire from the battery going through connector 115. Perhaps the new type plug does have a pin with voltage on it at all times.

raoulfilippi likes this.
  19. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Ok then. So I need to test the motronics too, with key in on.

If the battery is connected I would expect a presence of voltage in one of the pins. So I must control that it is not the pin #2 or 5 .
    Right?

BTW, when you say "sockets" you mean in male and female side of the plugs?

Thx!

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Correct

You should only get voltage on one of the other pins if the F348 is like the F355, but you are correct, there should be no voltage on 2 or 5 with the key OFF.

raoulfilippi likes this.
  21. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Pretty clear! So, at the end, if with key off I don't detect any voltage in the to pins that's ok. But I need to have no tension (or maybe a specific value of our??) in RN/RB in connectors D and A when the key is in on.
    If this happens I should be confident that it is enough to repair the board by just replacing the defective component (I've ordered it, 15 bucks for two pieces, one is spare).
    I hope I've considered all.

22. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    As your transistor BDB02C seems to have blown, you should, while investigating the wiring get a replacement for it (as well as the other components listed below). Once you have completed the investigation (whether found anything or not), you should first replace the BDB02C and give it a try. However, the BDB02C seems no longer available (unless someone here knows where to get it). If you cannot find this transistor, you can try with 2SA1315 which is easily available (Ebay or radio shacks in your area, get a few pieces). This transistor is very similar to BDB02C.

If replacing the only the BDB02C transistor does not solve the problem, you should then replace it again together with the other components as follows:

Large Chip: HCF4024BE or MC14024BCP - easily available.

Small Chip: 92693 (by Harris) - hard to get but you can try at https://www.jotrin.com/product/parts/92693 or at http://www.gpecsrl.net/componenti-elettronici/integrato/92693.html?id=28066 (Italian website). NOTE: the Italian website offers the chip as 92693/CA3140 and they actually send you the CA3140 (I know as I have ordered it from them). However, it seems that the CA3140, although it may electronically be equivalent to the 92693, has different pinout so it cannot be just soldered in. Perhaps you can give this company a call and ask whether they can supply the 92693. Otherwise, don't order from them.

Smaller Transistor: BC237B - easily available.

23. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Where did you find BDB02C, I would like to order a few.

raoulfilippi likes this.
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    On plug D, pin 7 (GV wire), you should have battery voltage (around 12 volts) with the key on. Also 12V on plug A, pin 5 (VB wires). On plug D pin 12 (RB wire) and plug A pin 12 (RN wire), the voltage will be dependent on the position of the sensor head in relation to the gearbox reluctor. Here's the tutorial on testing the voltage output from the sensors:

http://www.dinoplex.org/instruments/vegliaspeedosensor/

raoulfilippi likes this.
  25. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    My friend that is an electronic engineer who is helping me in this operation has discovered the item. I'll ask him the site and I'll revert to you.

Qavion likes this.