A different way | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A different way

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Jun 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A little inconvenient but the rods are stronger your way.

Old projects like that are very interesting. Like the clutch, they are a lesson in the advancement and history of automotive technology. It shows different people had different approaches to a problem and time and experience rendered them down to what became common later. And not always the best survived, maybe the cheapest or most user or most mass assembly friendly.

I really like the multi-lingual hubs too. I've never seen that.

Good luck with the project.

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #27 sowest, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One last example of the "it's beautiful, but it doesn't fit" theme. The keyways in the new crank were a slightly different width than in the original crank.This called for some "duplex" keys....;>)

I have a small surface grinder. It doesn't get used very much, but it makes quick work of a problem like this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #28 sowest, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally, everything came together and the car was whole again. It was fun to drive and was surprisingly peppy for such a small engine. The car itself is small and light. Even the very small cable operated brakes were more than adequate. It had been a long time since I had driven anything with no synchros in the gearbox and several times I had to come to a complete stop and start all over again....;>) After a while, the shifting came easier and the car was a real joy.

One more "different way". The hinged bonnet extends over the passenger compartment. Of course, the center hinge would not be water proof. Notice that there is a "V" shaped gutter under the hinge. It catches the water and directs it into the rolled channel in the blue panel under the windscreen. This channel carries the water down either side and dumps it under the car.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Lovely
    Pete

5. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
  6. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Pete and Jon

Thank you very much. It was a fun and fulfilling project. The most important thing was that the owner was wonderful to work with.

Aloha
    Larry