Engine lid/hood cable broke, now stuck closed - please help | FerrariChat

Engine lid/hood cable broke, now stuck closed - please help

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by spence88mph, Mar 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spence88mph

spence88mph Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    Melbourne
    Hi Guys.

Apologies if this has been covered, I've searched without any luck. My engine hood is shut, I just pulled the lever and it feels like the cable has snapped or the cable end has come off.

Any ideas how to get this open? I think maybe if I get it on a hoist I can reach where the cable went? All I have found is a 308 thread and it mentions braking a rear tail light! Hopefully there's a better solution.

Thanks in advance!

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Did u try the emergency cable underneath the steering wheel? That’s what it is for;) it is underneath the dashboard left of the steering wheel, usually where on a regular car a lever would be. It looks like a little black plastic loop.
    I never use the regular lever bc it’s fragile and it ends up costing 400/500 to fix depending where u go and who does it of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spence88mph likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this cable is for the front hood, not for the engine hood ( when I remember right? ) ;) getting older :(

if you have a smal sturdy wire or a hook you can reach both locks from the backside of the rear grill when you exactly know where to pull. would be great if someone could post a photo of the locks to see where to pull

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  5. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    This is what the latch looks like but unfortunately you have to push the small arm forward to release it. The little arm fits into a green plastic lock (see the crappy picture) The two latches are connected via a rod that runs the with of the car and the cable is attached at the drivers side so in theory if you could push on the drivers latch both should release. If it’s the latch that broke (that’s why I have a picture of one) it is considerably more work to access the latches. Tried to take a few pictures but not great

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. spence88mph

spence88mph Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    Melbourne
    You guys are the best, thanks so much!!! Thankfully the emergency pull worked, I had no idea it was there.

While the hood was open I joined about 6 cable ties in a row to the latch and tied the line off in case the emergency cable breaks while I source a replacement.

Thanks again!!

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is a top secret document in the glove box known as the owners manual. It has a lot of great information.

turbo-joe and Prova85 like this.
  8. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    File under RTFM ;)

9. spence88mph

spence88mph Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    Melbourne
    I really didn’t think it would help in this situation but I appreciate the sarcasm, I’ll know next time, best to keep the forum free for diff and fuse box questions.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are not alone. I was shop foreman in what was the largest dealer at the time. Ferrari, like most manufacturers goes to great lengths to provide owners with the information required to have a good ownership experience and it is the last place they turn for information.

This time you received good help but frankly the internet is a terrible place for reliable info.

turbo-joe and spence88mph like this.
  11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Please do let us know where your existing rear bonnet cable broke when you make the repair to add to our "probability" database -- right now, it's running about 99% that it will be broken where the wire cable enters the loop fitting that attaches to the handle threaded stud ;)