430 - F1 System - SLOW DOWN! Problem Solved! w/ E-Diff Bypass | FerrariChat

430 F1 System - SLOW DOWN! Problem Solved! w/ E-Diff Bypass

Discussion in '360/430' started by nessus-gte, Jun 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles

In 2018, I began my battle against F1 system pressure loss. My troubleshooting has spanned three years, included a full F1 system rebuild and shipping the car across the country. Here is the thread that recounts that journey: F430 F1 System Troubleshooting w/ Data & Graphs

After the full F1 system rebuild and continuing to see sharp pressure loss in 1st through 3rd gears, I strongly suspected my E-Diff was the culprit. However, the only element of the E-Diff I could replace myself was the E-Diff Solenoid. I replaced the solenoid and there was no change in my pressure loss condition. This is also documented in the above thread.

Finally after years of putting up with it and the associated ‘Amber Slow Down’ warning….

This week… THE BATTLE WAS WON!

Scud Ing Swiss has recently released an E-Diff Bypass ECU.

Generally, I take Stefan’s claims about his products with a grain of salt. His claims are bold and sometimes unrealistic. But I knew this particular product I was going to test myself and report back to the many Fchatters who have followed my long journey.

My Hypothesis: If this piggyback ECU will disable E-Diff function and if my hunch is correct that my F1 pressure loss is due to the E-Diff, this product will make my pressure problems go away.

HOLY ALMIGHTY!
    IT DID!

F1 System Pressure Loss WITHOUT E-Diff Bypass – in 1st Gear

F1 System Pressure Loss WITH E-Diff Bypass – in 1st Gear

This is exactly the pressure holding capability that I was looking for in 1st through 3rd gears. I knew my F1 power unit could produce and hold pressure properly like this, because it exhibited this pressure hold in 4th through 6th.

Many thanks to the handful of Fchatter who reached out to me and collaborated with me on troubleshooting this problem. Now I drive the car without that looming SLOW DOWN anxiety. I am back to 100% enjoying the ride. :D

As for the change in driving characteristics with the E-Diff disabled… I will save that for a different thread. ;)

raulan, Qavion, billy.gif and 2 others like this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Glad you figured it out! 3 yrs is a long time to deal e an f1 problem.

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I am glad you figured out a work-around .. but any idea what the real issue is - internal issue in e-diff ???

4. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    No clue. My X431 is not able to access the E-Diff ECU. Not even my Ferrari Dealer will try and diagnose E-Diff internals. They are strictly in the business of replacing parts. GTE Engineering attempted diagnosis with an SD3 while they had my car, and Serkan also could not pinpoint the root cause within the E-Diff. Fortunately, this bypass ECU can turn the system back on with the remote control. So I have the choice to operate with E-Diff on or off.

Hopefully, someone with more patience and knowledge then I have will be able to crack open the E-Diff and actually determine what causes this condition. I would certainly applaud that. :)

one4torque likes this.
  5. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Charles...I am extremely happy for you..!!!
    Mentioned above 3 years is a very long time to deal with this symptom I commend you on your persistence to get a answer. That being said your pressure loss was the E diff activating in 1rst and 2nd gear if I'm following your chart above..the F430 should be a open diff unless it detects slippage in sport/race...CST is completely off..
    So your TCU detected one of your rear wheels rotating above the threshold interpreted as wheel spin engaging the E diff for better traction when this happened your internal E diff system had a significant internal pressure loss causing the F1 pump to cycle quickly. When by passing the E diff No fluid passes through the E diff solenoid and internals therefore no pressure loss.
    Questions: Have you measured rear tire circumference.? are they pretty close to each other.? [False interpretation to TCU for wheel slippage]
    Are they beyond the acceptable cross percentage.? Typically is no more then 10%
    Not sure what is acceptable for a Ferrari.
    For those of us with scan tools I believe we can monitor E diff pressure loss...why did this not post any fault codes.?
    Once again Charles I'm very Happy for you..
    Kaspar

6. Testa

Testa Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    Hello Charles, nice to hear that you found a solution for your problem. As you may remember from our conversation in 2019 i had a similar issue. What i found out in my case was that in fact the eDiff valve was the problem. The crazy thing is that a new valve (even if new and coming in a sealed ferrari spare part box from a trusted source) may already be bad. I had to try more than one valve until i found one which was working as expected (and yes, i know about the new torque spec. from Ferrari for this valve). I know from other F430 with the same experience. The fact that deactivating the eDiff valve with the extra box helps in your case seems to point into the direction that the eDiff valve is the root cause – at least if you are not loosing hydraulic fluid. Loosing fluid would mean that your eDiff actuator is leaking which has no effect if the eDiff valve is not activated.
    What i also saw with my 430 is that replacing the hydraulic fluid with a different viscosity than requested by Ferrari makes gear shifting more smooth BUT leads to a higher leakage rate / pressure drop. So the pump is cycling more often. This is the case due to unavoidable wear of all the valves in the F1 system we have with our ‚old‘ cars.
    Changing back to the original spec. fluid after some hundreds of miles reduces the leakage and improves pump cycle time. The funny thing is that the smoother gear shifting is still there.

Qavion likes this.
  7. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Maybe you just needed a fluid flush... By changing the fluid to a different type, it may have loosened up some "crud" that came out with this different fluid and now you're back in business with the correct fluid.

Testa likes this.
  8. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    i personally would want to know what is wrong, however ignorance is bliss perhaps we all have the issues you have but not aware lol

Surely cycle 20 seconds is ok? If this was such an issue wouldnt it be checked and logged during yearly service?

9. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Thanks for the input, Kaspar. My tires sizes are same as OEM, assuming OEM specs are:
    Front: 225/35/19 - 25.2" Diameter
    Rear: 285/35/19 - 29.9" Diameter
    Size Difference: 6.7%

10. chdavis

chdavis Karting

Sep 19, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Amazing revelation.. thanks for posting this. I can't wait to get back and install one of these in my car.

ditpixs likes this.