F40 PROTOTYPES | Page 10 | FerrariChat

F40 PROTOTYPES

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by joe sackey, Jun 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    elmadi, Acacg, joe sackey and 4 others like this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    An interesting detail from Joe's pictures of the composite bodywork is only FOUR rear fender vents initially. The regular prototypes built would be modified with FIVE fender vents. Then someone decided to go back with the original FOUR vents for the regular production series. There was a batch of the FIVE vent rear fender clips shown beside the F40 prototypes being built in a French magazine article years ago.
    Maybe Alberto can find the answer as to why Ferrari kept changing the number of rear fender vents for the F40...

elmadi, Acacg and joe sackey like this.
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    4 vents equals longer lunch breaks. :)

elmadi and of2worlds like this.
  4. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    What was the purpose of the aluminum bodied car?

elmadi likes this.
  5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I imagine it was the base from which all the moulds were taken for the composite production panels. You always return to the base buck for replacement moulds in order to prevent errors being transferred over the production cycle, a bit like chinese whispers otherwise . Typically you can get upto 20 panels out of a mould before its scrap, you then return to the base buck to make a fresh set.

Acacg likes this.
  6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    elmadi and of2worlds like this.
  7. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Clearly one can see the 288GTO Evo F40 in the drawing. To my knowledge the first F40 prototype (which may not have a VIN) was based on a 288 GTO Evo chassis. Or this “car” “mock-up” was dismantled or turned into a driveable F40 prototype.

of2worlds and Acacg like this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Congrats for your knowledge, but I wanted to focus on something else that is missing on the F40 in one circle and one that you can see in the other circle that will disappear on the F40.

Ciao

9. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The Pininfarina badge?

elmadi and Albert-LP like this.
  10. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Which along with the indent, was also deleted on the LM's :)

11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Yes I know why and what about the missing item.

Albert-LP likes this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    One other detail that seems to have escaped attention is the dark tint on the light covers compared to later production F40 models.
    Cavallino cover car 73015 shows the dark tint clearly in the image below.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Cavalieri and Acacg like this.
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    By indent you are referring to the body divide line, or the air intake vent properly referred to as the NACA duct?

In any case, if I am understanding you correctly, neither of those items is deleted on the LM, and in fact an extra NACA duct is added in the LM's side sill

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

elmadi, NürScud and of2worlds like this.
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Acacg and of2worlds like this.
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I've always noticed this, I think it looks cool, the dark tint makes the front-end look more menacing, sort of like the F40 LM IMSA cars

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I think I have a period video of this car testing at Fiorano, or at least of another 1989 F40 LM: it had the big air outlet in the front bonnet painted in black.

ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, the display car doesn't have the Pininfarina badge (and doesn't have that "dome" that is shown in the draw, that Michelotto called "a thing like there was on KITT car that was in Supercar TV series"). I was told all the story by mr. Michelotto himself and that's a story that can touch you. Mr. Michelotto reminds me a lot of the character performed by Clint Eastwood in his early Westerns: a low words man of honor who gave his word to mr. Ferrari, and who cares if you lose something to mantain your promise.

ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    an original 1988 video featuring an F40 driven by official Ferrari test driver Giuseppe Montorsi on an Italian motorway. It has a sticker with the number "8" on the side.

I didn't ask the test driver if it's a prototype or (more likely) a press car/preproduction car: I'm sure that several here already know the VIN and so on of the car.

ciao

19. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The indent I was referring to was the recess into which the Pininfarina badge sits, this area is flush on the LM side panels. Depending on the chassis, a number of LMs sprouted all manner of additional NACA ducts over the period they raced.

Acacg likes this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Got it.

21. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Its a good way to quickly spot an original LM from a converted road car, as most conversions keep the original production spec side panels and just swap the clams.

Albert-LP and joe sackey like this.
  22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I asked the tester: that car was called by all the operators at the time as "P8". Does anybody here know if it could it stand for "prototype number 8"? It was the car that did the official top speed homologation tests.

Paul, I'm new of this forum section, but you look to know a lot about Michelotto and the F40 LM that he developed and raced with: may I ask if your knowledge comes from personal search and books reading or does it come from a direct working/racing experience or anything else?

Congrats and thank you in advance

ciao

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Alberto a very interesting F40 test drive video. I think this car on PROVA MO 90 is the #1 car 73015 with a new front and rear clip (upper body work and rear spoiler bodywork plus production rear window with the later louvre opening pattern) installed. Since this was eventually the 'crash test' car perhaps the prototype front and rear clip were replaced with production parts that were a thicker heaver material than used on the early prototype builds.
    Marcel's very informative list has the prototype serial numbers and in some cases the yellow car number decal noted. However the yellow number was not issued in sequence (order) that the cars were given their serial number. The yellow decal may have been a convenient way to keep track of which car was being used for a particular part of the F40's development programs.

Albert-LP likes this.
  24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There were at least 9 (nine) vetture esperienza of the F40, for both EU and USA version, in total.

Marcel Massini

Jurassik and of2worlds like this.