Factory Tour Rule Change? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Factory Tour Rule Change?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Monteman, Mar 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I didn't buy my 360 from the local dealership, but I have it maintained there. The service manager was happy to help me arrange a factory tour, and I will be going in May. I suspect the definition of "client" is up to the dealership. (One man's "overpriced oil change" is another man's maintenance, I suppose.)

LorenzoOO likes this.
  2. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    When in May are you going? I will also be going in May.

3. AZ308GTS

AZ308GTS Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    Phoenix,AZ
    The guy who bought a Corvette is calling 308 owners “gold chain”. That’s precious.

Clnilsen and HotShoe like this.
  4. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Probably true about the active client definition bit. I once asked the dealer 3 years ago as to how many Ferrari's in HK and the staff said around 2 to 3000. I challenged the number saying it made no sense if they were bringing in a few hundred cars an year, plus the no of older ones still here and grey market cars in HK. At any given time there were nearly 300 cars plus at the dealership in dry storage/ for repairs/ awaiting delivery. Non dealer repair shops too had nearly 200 to 300 cars collectively, SO based on my estimate if there were nearly 400 to 500 cars at the dealers and garages the real nos even after those exported or written off should have been more than 5000 to 7000. He then corrected himself and said we only count cars LESS than 7 years old. From a revenue point of view, dealers prefer cars less than 7 yrs old. They go in for a service which is essentially an oil change and in longer services a cam belt or clutch change. V hight turnaround and fixed prices of nearly USD 7500 in this town. Why would you bother with older cars which need more man hours and are a pain to maintain for them specially with no stock of parts here. HK had major changes with Ferrari opening their own office here. They sent letters to people in the database of the dealers to put them in a centrallised mailing system. I guess that makes you a client. Active or not probably depends on your last service with them, NOT the no of Ferraris you own.

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Oh shut up. So sick of pretentious bastards.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If you currently own a Ferrari, any Ferrari, you should have the ability to tour the factory. Even if you have to pay for it. If they change it so that you must have a history of servicing your Ferrari at the Dealer or only allow owners who purchased their Ferrari direct from the dealer that is some real ********.

I have been in love with Ferrari since I was seven. It was always my dream to see the factory in person so I saved money for years to buy a 308. I bought it from a private owner and service it myself. I took the tour two years ago and it was one of the greatest moments of my life as a car enthusiast and Tifoso. It is this type of passion that has made the brand what it is. If they want to take that dream away from the next generation by only catering to new money, trust fund d bags who buy the latest model from the dealer they can vaffanculo.

I've noticed a disturbing trend that more and more Ferraris and the "events" surrounding them are nothing but a status symbol for the vapid, nouveau riche. Very few people know anything about the history of the marque, its' origins, or motorsports. They just want to drive (unless it's raining) their leased car to high end restaurants so they can sip champagne, post on social media and marvel at their own importance. Is it good practice to only let these type of owners see the factory? I think not.

Every time I hear news like this I think of what a very long time and prominent Ferrari collector told me, "Pagani is what Ferrari was."

Dane, Rembrandt, Nuvolari and 6 others like this.
  7. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I was there this past September. What surprised me was how open, clean, and QUIET the place was. None of the workers seemed to be dirty or even working hard for that matter....like i imagined it would be.

If reminded me of a Laboratory rather than a factory.

Dane and virendra like this.
  8. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Well put. Met a few owners who insist on owning the convertible as they SHOULD be visible, while most Ex race car drivers or current Track racers who own these prefer theHard top as it has less body roll. One wants to be seen. One wants to enjoy the drive.

Rembrandt likes this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think if Ferrari's issue is that there are too many requests for a factory tour, one way to reduce the number without denying legitimate owners is to limit visits to once every x number of years. Obviously they will make exceptions for certain regular clients, but that's just the way it goes.

10. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Doug: We are on for the first week of May. PM me if you are going to be there in early May, too.

Thanks,
    Bob

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Ferrari has been about the passion, F1 racing, and the engine in the cars! Today's world with the not being able to drive stick shift you can still own a Ferrari. I still love the cars, but they lost some of mystic? The 12cyl. noise is music to me!

kerrari likes this.
  12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Why?

I'm not being pedantic, btw. I'd understand "If would be nice if Ferrari would offer me a tour", but not "Ferrari should offer me a tour." Owning ANY product, or buying a service, doesn't give you some inherent right to tour a facility..

To word that plainly - you are not a Ferrari client nor customer. You are an owner. Ferrari has made zero dollars off of your purchase of that 308. So I'm wondering why some in that category are saying "I have a Ferrari, I deserve a tour." Why? You're not even a customer.

I'm not slamming you. I'm just like you - I bought a used 308, and service it myself. I own a cool Ferrari, but not a cent of my spending has ever increased the balance sheet in Maranello. The broker I bought it from offered me a drink or some coffee, but I've no feeling that I deserve a factory tour.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  13. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    When Montezemolo was around it was more like a family. Sweater Boy has changed everything including factory visits. Sweater boy focuses on catering to many first time owners of a certain wealth category.

HotShoe and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  14. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I understand the high demand for tours, but I think some of the best marketing they get is from actual owners of these cars, particularly long term owners. With the increased competition from McLaren, Porsche, Lamborghini, Pagani, etc. I believe Ferrari needs all the fans than can get particularly with the increased production volumes that are being dictated now that they are public.

You couple that with the oncoming demand and supply of electric vehicles that are crazy fast (not my cup of tea, but almost everyone I talk to wants a new Tesla).

I also think the viewership of F1 continues to decline for many reasons, the marketing strength created from competing in F1 is not what it used to be.

I truly understand there has to be a pecking order to tours for great current customers and can appreciate the idea of getting a tour around the Italian Grand Prix is not in the cards for us long term owners, but letting us go during an off time should not inconvenience them much. We were so very fortunate to have our tour in fall of 2016 and it was fantastic and we could not stop talking about it to our car friends.

There was a couple that had just bought their first Ferrari (a California) because they wanted something more prestigious to take to dinner in California, and they complained and bad mouthed Ferrari the entire tour, and the through lunch at Cavallino we had the misfortune of being seated next to them, their tirade about Ferrari and everything Italian prattled on.

If I am selling a high end discretionary item with lots of competition, who do I want to let tour, I can tell you that the California couple will never buy another Ferrari product and will let everyone know their misguided opinion. I also know that I am truly greatful to our local Ferrari dealer for arranging the tour and send them every customer that I can.

Forza Ferrari

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  15. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    We’re going to the factory for the third time in October. I’m pretty sure that the dealer pays for each tour. That may be the genesis of the hope (requirement?) that an owner is actively supporting an authorized dealer, FNA, and the factory itself? I truly understand the sentiment of passionate, lifelong tifosi who buy from independents and service the cars themselves. I did that for 12 years with my 993TT before entering Ferrari Land. But I think there’s legitimate sentiment on the dealer side, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I bought my car in 1992, went on a tour of European Circuits in 1993 with around another 10 Ferrari's plus a few others including a Stratos and a lime green 911 RSL.

Epic trip ,culminating with a factory tour,which was really interesting,and lunch across the road of course.

I am ashamed to say i do not recall the name of the guy taking us around,i think he was a nephew of Enzo?

Will try to dig out a few pics.

Would like to go back one day again.:)

17. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Sorry I really disagree with this - the owners of the older cars are preserving the history of a marque which sells heavily on that. And it's not just about relatively ordinary cars either - what about the owners of Enzo era cars? By your logic few of them have contributed to Ferrari coffers (unless you count the Classiche 'service'). At least some dealers charge a fee for the organizing so the company isn't out of pocket on this.

Dane, Shark01, Formula Uno and 3 others like this.
  18. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    At the end of the day it will be up to the dealer and I honestly don't see any reasonable dealer denying an owner a factory tour.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  19. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    No offense taken.

I agree that Ferrari has a right to do as they see fit. I don't think they should be forced to give tours if they don't want to, it's their bat and ball. I do think it would be a crucial marketing error not too. They have already set a precedent of tours for owners not customers that is decades long. To change that now would be a marketing travesty. I know several big time vintage collectors that neither bought their cars from a dealer nor have them serviced there. Would they be ostracized as well for not being a "customer"?

I understand that I am not a customer in the sense you stated although I have certainly bought my fair share of parts! :) What I am (lol, in my humble opinion) is a vital link in the future of the brand because my motivation is derived from a love of the marque and their history. I pass this on thru my children and anyone who will listen. I'm a steward of the brand, an apostle to spread the word and beliefs of the founder. IMO Ferrari needs people like me more than ever to keep the mystique alive. I've said it before but Ferrari's client base is rapidly shifting to people who buy them as status symbols. They are trend followers who care less about the marque other than it might get them some attention on Instagram or at the club. They might be customers now but they will flip in a heart beat to the next "in" thing. They know nothing of the track and would never get their hands dirty. The only way they would be interested in touring the factory is if they had a VIP lounge and were served champagne behind some velvet rope. But hey, if that's who Ferrari wants to accommodate now it's a free world.

Mark my words if Ferrari shifts too far on the poseur scale they'll be toast. First you'll see F1 die, then all factory racing then the company itself. I hope I'm not around to ever see that.

Forza!

20. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    I

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  21. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I was offered a surprise trip to Italy the first week of May through my son winning a sales contest and I am the "guest" he can take for free. This all happened last week-so I jumped on the opportunity to get a tour. Reading this thread didn't give me any false hopes that it could all work out given that I live 2-3 hrs from a dealer and did not buy my 575/599 from them or use them for service. After making the request to one dealer who was indifferent about helping and said it would cost me $800- I then went to a 2nd dealer who couldn't have been more helpful and submitted my request form with an hour and cc'd me on the email. We'll see what happens but talk about attitude and customer service.

Rembrandt, of2worlds and Formula Uno like this.
  22. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    That way, Kim Kardashian woun't qualify too ;-)

23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I was in Maranello last year on a tour and a tight schedule. We only were going to only have time for the museum tour so I didn't try to get a factory tour set up but I would loved to do a factory tour. I look forward to going back some time and doing a factory tour, I would be disappointed if I wasn't able to do a tour. I have no problem paying for the tour but I would think giving tours to owners is a very inexpensive form advertising and promoting their marque for future sales.
    Previously I went on a Porsche factory tour on a treffen trip. I had a great time but I am not sure if the tour was free (all on treffen trip owned one or more Porsches) or the cost was included in the treffen autobahn tour. Two guests on the trip ended up getting new Porsches after the trip so there was a payoff for Porsche. It would not be unreasonable to think new sales may come out of a Ferrari factory tour as well.

Formula Uno likes this.
  24. mikemain

mikemain Rookie

Mar 15, 2010
    Munich/Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael von Aretin
    fore sure you have te wear LONG trousers and CLOSED shoes. If you don't, they won't let you in.
    But visiting the factory is a brilliant experience, worth all that hussle b4

25. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Great assessment.

Dane likes this.