Ferrari 275 GTB red paint code | FerrariChat

Ferrari 275 GTB red paint code

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jimmym, Jul 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Does anyone know the paint code for the red used on a 275 GTB? I know Ferrari used a few reds in those years. I emailed GTO engineering figuring that since they work and restore these cars they might be able to answer this question easily, but that proved to be a waste of time, only referring me to FChat where I am a member and have searched this info before as well as having done google searches. Here are a couple of pictures of the red paint code that I am looking for.

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    looks like a lot of different red colors

readplays likes this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1) Forget the screen/internet. Everybody's screen is different and I haven't even started to mention iphones and Hawaiis (sorry, I mean Huaweis). And daylight or inside building, etc.
    2) Which of the approximately 55 reds are you looking for?
    3) What year and type of Ferrari are we talking here?
    4) What is the serial number of the car in question?

Let me know re #4 and I may be able to tell more.

Marcel Massini

readplays and TTR like this.
  4. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    It is clear that Gto could not help with the approach as there are far to many reds used. Normally they are very helpfull if the question is specific enough.

Number 4.) in the quote and coming from Marcel Massini is the closest you will get to the original color of your car...

Hope you will find it.

Christopher

readplays likes this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    :) :) :)

tritone likes this.
  6. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I believe it is a 1967 275 GTB. I don’t know the serial number as I don’t own one, but was considering the color for my Pantera.

On a 330 site I was on they had a few reds listed but not 55 different reds.
    Rosso
    Rosso Chiaro
    Rosso Cina

The red I was looking for is a medium to light bright rich red more on the blue side than orange. I know lighting and devices can effect the way a color looks, but if you know of a red or reds that might be close to what I described or what is in the pictures that would be great.

Thanks

7. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Better ask differently for your purpose: What do you believe is the nicest Ferrari red from the 60s/70s inluding paint code....

8. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Colors are very subjective. I have purchased a lot of different samples of reds from quite a few different manufacturers (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi) just to name a few and quite a few others. I am pretty familiar with most of the newer Ferrari colors, just not the earlier colors from the 50’s and 60’s. I thought someone might have an idea or a good guess on what color was used on those cars in the pictures.

When I emailed GTO engineering, I attached a picture of a 275 GTB wearing the same or a very similar red as above. I was a little surprised by their response because it was a car the I downloaded from their photo gallery.

Anyway, the search goes on.

Thanks

9. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Marcel, I downloaded a couple pictures from the 275 GTB thread. I don’t if you are familiar with any of these cars, but the color is either the same or close enough.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2771949 View attachment 5433074 View attachment 2885478 View attachment 2720208 View attachment 2262620

10. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Jim, Glasurit's modern code number for "Rosso Corsa" (or Ferrari racing red) is FER-300.

john

11. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi John, is the Rosso Corsa from the 80’s similar to the 60’s red? I am familiar with the 80’s Rosso Corsa 300 and its variants(300/6, 300/9, 300/12, and 322) just was not sure how close it is to the 60’s reds. Thanks John

12. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
  13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
  14. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
  15. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Going by these paint charts, the only color that might be what I was looking for is Rosso Chiaro, uses the same code that was used on the Dino and the 308 which looks different than the 60’s red.

Thanks for the help

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I’d be surprised if anyone who understands technicalities of OEM colors/paints of older, vintage cars and chemistry/materials used to formulate them will be able or willing to offer you a definitive answer you seem to be looking for.

Even if you come up with or own a specific 275 and know its original (red) paint code, it doesn’t mean it can be transformed to practical or useable formula for chemistry & material ingredients of todays paints, as they’re not same as those used 50+ years ago.
    You might find some 50+ year old colors having been converted to modern formulas, but they won’t equate or, when finished, look the same as those used originally.

With this in mind, may I suggest perhaps the best or at least the easier, realistic chance to achieve your objective ?
    Find picture(s) of your favorite (275 GTB ?) red or its equivalent, period color chart sample, take it/them with you to automotive paint supply store or paint shop of your choice and ask to see their color sample books. Flip through them until you find what you believe being the best or closest match and call it a day.

17. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree. The older codes might not be able to be translated into the new paint systems, but figured someone on here might have some idea of what the color might be or a good educated guess.

A paint camera would work to get a formula, it’s just to bad they are too expensive to purchase for one job.

Thanks for the help.

18. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Did a little more searching and found at his chart.

Attached Files: