FRAM oil filter changes! | FerrariChat

FRAM oil filter changes!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by GSJFerrari, Oct 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GSJFerrari

GSJFerrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 12, 2010
    Stuart, FL
    Full Name:
    Greg Jones
    #1 GSJFerrari, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Do yourself a big favor:

Go to the Baldwin B-253.

A true quality product.

It's all I have been using for the past 30 years, in my own cars and those I've serviced.

Bob Z.

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #3 peterp, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    It's quite amazing that they would make a design compromise like that without announcing it since the change makes it no longer suitable for any car with upside-down filter mounts. Fram does have a very poor reputation for Ferrari's independent of this. Agree with Bob that Baldwins seem to be a much better choice. I think the Baldwin models are B-253 for the bypass and B-50 for the main filter (or maybe vice versa?).

This thread shows a collapsed Fram (with standpipe): http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/230019-ufi-oil-filter.html

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Fram seems to be going down hill. Know someone that purchased a new one, put it on the car(not Ferrari) and had a split on the seam. Took it back to the parts store to get another. Some of the new ones on the shelf were cracked also.

Ago

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Don't use Fram filters!

THE END!

6. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  7. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    #7 tomberlin, Oct 6, 2014
  8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #8 peterp, Oct 6, 2014
    For the V12's with 2 oil filters, two types are used, a full flow "PH3" is primary and a secondary PB50 for the bypass filter. I'm not sure what the difference is between them, but they are different filter types.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    AMEN
    I have used Baldwin filters on 308, 348, 330GT, 365 GTC/4, and 250 GTE models.
    Cannot believe anyone would use a Fram filter in this day and age on a Ferrari.

10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The Baldwin replacements for the above are B253 for the primary (Fram "PH3") and B50 for the bypass (Fram "PB50").

11. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    I've used only FRAM Filters on 12 and 8 Zylinder Ferrari engines for now over 10 years.

Why ? because they are the original ones. That's the only creteria for me.

I've bought about 30 pcs. (more than I needed) of PH 28041 over the years to collect them - that should be enough for the next 20 years.

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    My new local mechanic just put a Wix Racing filter on.
    The car's been on Baldwins previously and I wonder if anyone has experience or opinion on the Wix.

13. GSJFerrari

GSJFerrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 12, 2010
    Stuart, FL
    Full Name:
    Greg Jones
    #13 GSJFerrari, Oct 7, 2014
  14. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Would revving the engine while cold deform the filter? Thanks.

john

15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Probably all name-brand filters are effective at filtering. The important criteria for use in a Ferrari would seem to be: 1) How well does the standpipe work; and 2) How durable is it.

The standpipe performance is critical because it dictates how quickly oil pressure builds when you first start the car, which significantly impacts engine wear. The newest Frams apparently don't have a standpipe, so even though they will work, the oil filter will be empty every time you start it and there will be a lot more engine wear on start-up. Even the old Frams with a standpipe did not have an effective anti-drain valve, so they didn't hold oil for long either, as shown in this 2003 thread about oil pressure taking a long time to build with Fram filters: FerrariChat.com: 328 - Slow on building up oil pressure (old Fchat threads read from the bottom up).

As far as durability, this post shows a Fram that collapsed internally on the track: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/138380774-post18.html.

There is no way I would put a Fram in my car. An outright failure of a Fram might be rare outside of track conditions, but inadequate standpipe performance creates unnecessary engine wear every time you start the car.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #16 TTR, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    Greg, thanks for bringing this issue to light and clarifying aforementioned detail.
    I've used "older" stand pipe Frams for years on multiple vintage Ferrari with no problems, but apparently have to look into switching brands once my stock, which acquired years ago, runs out. I did cut up some of them (new and used) few years ago after hearing claims of their potential for "internal collapse", but concluded my findings similarly to your above statement.

Bean counters at Fram (or what ever corporate entity currently owns the brand) must have just looked into the facts that older cars, including vintage Ferrari, requiring this type of filter are not being driven that much any more and therefor it's not financially viable to produce for such a small (and diminishing market?), especially when there appear to be "others" willing to do it.
    Again, nothing new or surprising, just economics 1-0-1. I've seen this with all sorts of parts and components for all sorts of (older) cars as long as (35+ years) I've been involved with this hobby.

17. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    We have been through this before, but I will try again to explain all this:

250/275/330 cars with one full flow and one bypass filter- The PH3 was a Full Flow filter that filtered ALL the oil ALL the time. The best alternative for the PH3 is, to my knowledge, the Fram PH2815. This filter has a 27-29 psi bypass valve. It also has a anti-drain back valve. The Wix 51515R has only a 8-11 psi bypass valve. Ferrari oil pumps drive at very high pressures, so a filter with a low setting of the bypass valve will actually be bypassing most of the oil ALL the time. There are a number of regular filters that will fit these engines, but they will NOT adequately filter the oil. The Bladwin B253 has a 20 psi bypass valve and will work better than a regular filter, but not as good as the Fram PH2815. I agree that Fram has quality problems, but so far, I have not found a comparable filter from another manufactuer. We use the PH2815 units on our race engines.

The original PB50 Fram unit is still available. This is the Bypass Filter that filters SOME of the oil all the time. It filters to a finer micron level then the Full Flow unit, but it cannot handle ALL the oil the Ferrari pump puts out, so it is only asked to do this "better" filtering job to SOME of the oil. The flow to this filter is restricted by a .046" restriction in the fitting where the oil line exits the block on the way to the filter. The PB50 has NO bypass valve, and no anti-drain back valve (it does not need them). Numerous companies make filters to this specification.

Late 330/365 engines- These engines originally used two Fram PH2804 filters, later a standpipe was added and the filter became a PH2804-1. This filter has NO BYPASS VALVE. On these engines, the bypass valve is built into the chaincase. It does have a anti-drain back valve. The commonly used Baldwin B253 filter DOES have a bypass valve set at 20 psi. It also has a anti-drain back valve and standpipe. It is the PH2804 and its derivatives that seem to have the bad reputation for poor quality. The Baldwin unit will work on these engines, as the filter bypass valve is simply redundant to the chaincase valve.

I hope this will answer some of the filter related questions, but I will try to provide more information if needed.

peterp likes this.
  18. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Another quick explanation of the function of a filter Bypass Valve. This valve is set to read the DIFFERENCE in oil pressure ACROSS the filter (not the engine oil pressure). If this difference exceeds the filter valve setting, the valve opens and the oil "bypasses" the filter and proceeds directly into the engine unfiltered. The need for a valve like this is to ensure that the engine will still receive oil even if the filter becomes clogged with dirt or debris. The high pressures that Ferrari oil pumps drive at (as much as 150 psi cold, remember the gauge takes its pressure off a medium pressure line) will easily cause a pressure differential of more than 15 psi across a filter unit.

19. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    One more thing! NEVER use a Fram PH2804 filter on a 250/275/330 Full flow/Bypass filter engine. Remember the PH2804 has NO bypass valve, so if the filter becomes clogged or fails internally, the engine will receive NO OIL!

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thank you very much Mr. R. for offering (yet again) your well detailed explanation based on extensive and real experience only few could ever hope to achieve in this field.

21. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1000

Thank you Dyke. Every time you post I realize how much I don't know, but I also realize that our obsession to research finding the best parts is not misplaced because it is very easy to make a mistake.

It also highlights that published conversion tables can't be trusted when it comes to these cars (when looking up the Baldwin substitute for the PH3, it points to the Baldwin B2, which has a bypass value of only 8PSI).

22. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Make that 1001

23. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Anybody use UFI filters?

24. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #24 UroTrash, Oct 7, 2014
  25. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Dyke, What filter are you using on a 330GTC?
    Thanks,
    Terry Phillips