Is it time for gun control in Washington? | Page 53 | FerrariChat

Is it time for gun control in Washington?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Sep 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I had a peek about 3 hrs ago - up to page 6 already, and full of the usual ****

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Try 21....

3. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I'm waiting for our US friend to pitch in and say, you guys just don't get it.

5. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I'm waiting to see who puts up a post saying their son/daughter has been included in the death toll in one of these tragedies.

6. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    They can stop worrying about terrorists, they've got more idiots inside the borders

au-yt likes this.
  7. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Lol! yes a while back one guy was posting about not wanting to go to London because of "heightened alert" - he was from New Jersey, annual gun deaths about 4 times the last 5 years' tally of "terrorism victims" in the UK...

au-yt and Steve355F1 like this.
  8. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Well, you don't. As I've posted on here many times before, you have to unpack the gun stats, it's not as simple as saying "4 times the last 5 years' tally of "terrorism victims" in the UK" because terrorists kill random people, whereas most US gun fatalities are a specific demographic of a specific racial group. You can't discuss it without being called a racist, but that isn't making the problem go away.

9. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree with you in general, but the gun massacre victims are often “random”.
    Not specific demographics or specific targets.

It’s not just gun deaths overall that the US excels at, it’s massacres involving certain types of guns which have no place amongst civilians.

10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Massacres catch media attention, but of 15,590 deaths in 2017, 346 were mass shootings = 2.2%

Meanwhile...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    While your data is correct - who were the killers? what was there age, race / gender.
    Next you maybe pull the data for 30-39 year olds - who were the killers, age, race /gender.
    The killers maybe is what should be graphed up not the dead people in your source docs.

12. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Interesting the media are reporting 17 mass shootings this year,

13. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I16 likes this.
  14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    That information is readily available, just Google it. You won't be finding good news though. Where police record the race of the shooter in a black homicide, 89% of the time its a black male.

The drug trade is a major factor, but there are multitudes of awful stats about societal decay in the black community. Not unlike aboriginal communities in remote Australia...

15. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    I never expected good news in fact what you state is an amazing desire to record the killer as similar to the race killed - but when you reconcile to the clearances of crimes there is a vast gap from all reporting offices. They just do not know who the killer was.

16. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    Got just over an hour to get to work for the night shift - out of bounds to make contact when operational so will be on tomorrow after 9.00am ESDT

17. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    He doesn't have the power. The video below explains why it's difficult. The "easiest" way would be getting the supreme court (9 judges) to change the meaning of the 2nd amendment.

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

More likely they'll be pried, one at a time, from the hands of their dead children, once they've finished using them at the local high school.

D

moretti likes this.
  19. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    yes, but crooks and gang members shooting each other isn't who we're concerned about; and they're not using machine guns to take each other out. I think what people here are concerned about is INNOCENT people being mowed down by nutters with machine guns and 346 is way too many... oh and add another 1 to that figure for the Aussie girl shot in her driveway by the 'protect and serve' guy...

20. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    there are 326 million people in the US. 346 is a tiny proportion. 5,250 children 5-14 die each year from various causes, it's tragic but it's part of life.

The "protect and serve" guy was a muslim "affirmative action" hire. i.e. he was hired because of his religion, not because of his apptitude for police work.

21. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dave, your part of the world is becoming very dangerous .... I've cancelled my ticket and condo for my retirement :)

22. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    The U.S. have had 18 mass shootings this year alone.
    The right to bear arms also include the lunatics.

23. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

That's all on the other coast. My neck of the woods is all shuffleboard and Pickle Ball. The Gulf Coast is a different animal, and I'm pretty far south. That location is 2.5 hour drive from here.

WE barely HAVE high school students. The entire county has 2 high schools. The county in Pennsylvania I moved from had 30+. There are large tracks of land still available here within 30 minutes of the Gulf of Mexico.

Soooo . . . c'mon over!!

D

24. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  25. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner